To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:22 pm

BettyDee wrote:Wow, Mariane, that is an amazing video! Kind of gives you hope for all of us, doesn't it? They worked so hard to free that baby.

It's nice enough here I am going to do a little yard work. Better get busy. Y'all behave!

Yard work? I would have to dig down a long ways to even find my yard...and that would be a lot of work. :roll:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:00 pm

Yesterday, I noticed the snowpiles from shoveling dwarf my neighbor lady (the one we look after). I wish I'd taken a picture to share. No wonder Howard and I slept like a couple logs last night! :lol:
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:31 am

Looking back a few postings about "slop jars" reminded me of another equally unpleasant container called a "tobacco spit pan." When I was about 8 and my sister was 11 years old, we spent part of the summer at Grandma's farm in the rolling hills of Pennsylvania. It was our favorite spot on earth. We knew Grandpa chewed tobacco but complaining about it might get us shipped back home, so we ignored it. Behind the tall, black wood stove in the kitchen, Grandpa had a cot where he took afternoon naps and chewed tobacco. But when he was out in the fields plowing or whatever, my sister and I would sit on Grandpa's cot and play cards. Something happened one day that still makes me laugh out loud. I wrote a short poem about it which explains it fully:

SURPRISE SURPRISE
by Mariane Holbrook

Grandpa liked tobacco
And he chewed it all his life,
In spite of all the protests
From his children and his wife.

He’d stretch out in the kitchen
On his cot so warm and snug,
Then he’d reach into his pocket
And he’d cut himself a plug.

All of us were very careful
When we’d visit Grandpa’s place;
Never mentioned Grandpa’s habit
Which we thought was a disgrace.

Grandpa tried to be real careful
Where he aimed the juice, you see,
So he kept the pan beneath the cot
Away from sis and me.

One day my sister gave a yell,
I never shall forget.
She’d stepped in Grandpa’s juice pan;
I can hear her screaming yet.

:superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:03 am

:lol: :heehee :lol: My Norwegian grandpa chewed tobacco, too. Mama did not like sitting in the back seat of the car with the window open, when he sat in front. :P
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:42 am

One grandpa of mine (Norwegian) chewed tobacco, and the other one (German) smoked cigars.

The brother of my German grandfather chased women all over Europe. It is rumored that he was lucky to escape from there with his life. :roll:

I don't know which of the three things was worse. I tried cigars once or twice, but my resulting sick green facial color didn't look very good. I've never been to Europe. :lol:

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:59 am

Forty eight ....

Yea !!!!!!

? ? ? ? ? ?
Oh....that’s the number of days ‘til the first day of spring. Let the countdown begin! :superhappy

Yea !!!!!!

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Love your poem, Mariane--
Don, I think the neighbors just want your house!
When we went to lunch today, a fountain in the shopping center was frozen over, but when it gets to 60 today, I'm thinking there will be some big time dripping going on!
It's going to be warm for a few days before it's cold again--gives us southerners a chance to say "Ahhhhhhhhh, spring is coming!"
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:03 pm

The comment about roast groundhogs reminded me of a song in our school song book. I can't remember all the words, but it was how the adults hunted a groundhog, had the pot of water boiling, and when the groundhog had been prepared and put into the pot, the children stood around the pot smiling. The part I remember was "They ate that groundhog before he struck a boil. Up stepped Susie with a snicker and a grin, groundhog grease all over her chin."

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:12 pm

When our sometimes normal February thaw dawns, I hope it is barely above freezing for only the daylight hours. We will need a very slooooooowwww melt for the ground to absorb all the water stored in those piles of snow (Menard's had one way over even Howard's 6'3" height) at parking lots and alongside city sidewalks. Otherwise, we'll be sloshing around in our hip boots...well, regular boots, anyway. :wink:

Oh my, Don, you should write your family history! 8) It sounds like a best seller. I'm sure we all could find a "black sheep" in our own interesting family backgrounds. One of my (youngest of 14) dad's older sisters had a son (closer to my dad's age) whose photos showed him handsome as any movie star (along the order of Errol Flynn). His good looks turned out to be more of a curse. I don't know how many wives he had, but through the internet another cousin and I discovered one of his long lost granddaughters. We're now connected via Facebook. She had collected some unknown to us family history. We learned from her that my poor Norwegian-born grandfather arrived via an unwed mother (his birth father sounded like another woman chaser). So when he took the family name of Thompson when he arrived in the USA at the age of 17, it was in honor of his stepfather, who raised him as his own son.

In the history of my Swedish grandfather (a more Godly man, than he, would be hard to find) was another half-uncle, born out of wedlock. His mother was in love with a traveling minstrel in Sweden, but her parents considered him an unsuitable husband and refused to allow her to marry him. My grandpa's grandfather came into their lives and became Lochner's stepfather.

In a fascinating history-repeating-itself scenario, one of my dear nephews married a girl in similar straits, having been abandoned by her little boy's father. My nephew legally adopted him and I don't know how much that little boy knows of his own history. But when we were visiting, one time, and I mentioned how I couldn't stand heights, which make me feel physically sick, this young boy sighed, "THAT's where I get it from!"
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:13 pm

Edy, I just knew you must come from kind-hearted people!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:02 pm

:hugs2 to you, Verna. In the words of the World Vision's motto that I loved, "All that we have comes from God, and we give it out of His hand."
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Allison

Postby Allison » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:40 pm

I just registered for my first ever 5K! It's something I've been wanting to do since before my surgery, and now it's finally going to happen. It's called "The Color Run." At each kilometer marker, they toss colored powder on you, and by the end you have a tie-dye t-shirt. :) It's un-timed, and I've been assured I'll have the time I need to finish. I know I can do the distance, because I've done it a few times in the past few months. But I think it will be good for me, and help me get out there to practice before the actual event.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:27 pm

Congrats, Allison. You sound excited. Let us know how you do.

I have found out so many things about my family since I have been "into" genealogy. My ancestors consist of some of the first settlers of Boston, especially one who was a captain at Boston Harbor. He and his sons became state representatives, etc. and were just stinking, filthy rich. I have also found a whole bunch of poor, humble, God fearing hillbillies from VA (keeping in mind "VA" consisted of about three or four states at the time.) And...everything in between! Family history is fascinating. I have one line I am working on that has so many twists and turns, I don't know if I'll ever get it figured out.

We had a fairly nice day today, but are expecting some freezing rain tonight. The end of next week is supposed to be very cold. I wish it would make up its mind!
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:46 pm

I thought when one retires t he days are slower and the weeks are longer. We have never been so busy. There's always some appointment, something to do or someone coming. There's is one thing that has changed and that is I always seem to need a nap by mid afternoon.

Temperatures still sitting in the mid to high 30's. (that's celcius) I'm glad the new air-conditioner is installed. It's so quiet we leave in on over night when the nughts have peaked 21C.

Well, I might have a swim instead of my usual nap.

Chrissy

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:49 pm

Good for you! A friend of mine's two daughters did one last year. It looked like they had a blast.

Allison wrote:I just registered for my first ever 5K! It's something I've been wanting to do since before my surgery, and now it's finally going to happen. It's called "The Color Run." At each kilometer marker, they toss colored powder on you, and by the end you have a tie-dye t-shirt. :) It's un-timed, and I've been assured I'll have the time I need to finish. I know I can do the distance, because I've done it a few times in the past few months. But I think it will be good for me, and help me get out there to practice before the actual event.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler