To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:51 pm

Yep, it blew my mind! Having made a few wood chips from carving, I can appreciate the planning, patience, and skill that went into his "box of money".

(He is very good at what he does, but my carving shop is kept neater than his) :lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:16 am

We are only half way through the winter, and once again there is a battle raging between my three backyard thermometers as to which one will record the lowest air temperature this morning. They are running neck and neck at minus 19 degrees, minus 21 degrees, and minus 22 degrees.

Today has been declared a "cold day" for area schools to close - the third one this month. Sometimes they will declare "snow days", but "cold days" are rarely used.

When I attended South Dakota small-town schools in the late 40's through the mid-50's, "cold days" and "snow days" were unheard of. During my nine years there, from the fourth grade through the twelfth grade, I can only remember one day when students were allowed to go home early because a full-blown blizzard was raging mid-day with high winds and blinding snow.

The town kids (about half of the students) always trudged several blocks to school (uphill both ways :lol: ) through knee-deep snow and bitter cold temperatures. The older farm kids either had their own cars, or a parent brought them to school. Often times a farm tractor was needed to drive several miles through the snow while kids stood on the rear drawbar. (Note: A Farmall Super M tractor was almost unstoppable) In our community school buses were either unheard of or they were way too expensive.

Question?
Have our winters become worse over the years? Or, has our pampered society become soft? :?:

There is an old saying, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going." Today, maybe the "tough" are a rare breed, or even non-existent. :?

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:01 pm

Don, I think today's communication technology makes it easier for people to broadcast complaints about the weather. We only had person-to-person, telephone, radio and newspaper.

Our childhood winters were fierce, but duh! it was winter, so what else would we expect? :lol:

This morning, my nephew's wife had to make a trip from here to Bemidji. She reported on facebook, probably at a gas station en route, that it was -22 (actual degrees) and she saw two people dressed in sweatshirts! Somebody commented (and made me laugh): "They're from North Dakota."

We moved from Minnesota to North Dakota when I was seven. I only recall Christmas card style winters until that move. North Dakota was something else. My first surprise was the day we were told we had to go home early, and that the school buses would be picking up the farm kids. I remember looking out the second floor window from our big 2nd-3rd grade classroom in the old white schoolhouse and seeing no familiar big yellow bus. Instead tiny horse-drawn ice-fishing type "houses" on ski-type blades began appearing along the road out front. Some even had a little metal-pipe chimney sprouting from the top, indicating that family had a stove inside to keep the children warm!

To this day, I don't know how it all happened. Did one farmer, listening to the radio, hear blizzard warnings and phone the school? It was quite a marvel to a little kid trying to figure out the life of grownups.

Winters were always tough, I think. I know I could tell you more stories about the effects of blizzards on our lives. What a responsibility for parents to keep their children alive in such a harsh environment! Uff da!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:24 pm

Okay, be warned. This may prompt uncontrollable laughter, so be prepared! 8) :P :lol:

From my email inbox:

"The End of Maxine"

As we progress into 2014, I want to thank you for
your educational e-mail over the past year. I am
totally screwed up now and have little chance of recovery.

I can no longer open a bathroom door without using
a paper towel, nor let the waitress put lemon slices in
my ice water without worrying about the bacteria on
the lemon peel.

I can't sit down on a hotel bedspread because I can
only imagine what has happened on it since it was last washed.

Eating a little snack sends me on a guilt trip because I
can only imagine how many gallons of trans fats I have
consumed over the years.

I can't touch any woman's handbag for fear she has placed
it on the floor of a public toilet.

I must send my special thanks for the email about rat poo
in the glue on envelopes because I now have to use a wet
sponge with every envelope that needs sealing.

ALSO, now I have to scrub the top of every can I open for
the same reason.

I can't have a drink in a bar because I fear I'll wake up
in a bathtub full of ice with my kidneys gone.

I can't eat at KFC because their chickens are actually horrible
mutant freaks with no eyes, feet or feathers.

I can't use cancer-causing deodorants even though I smell
like a water buffalo on a hot day.

Thanks to you I have learned that my prayers only get answered
if I forward an e-mail to seven of my friends and make a wish
within five minutes.

Because of your concern, I no longer drink Coca Cola because
it can remove toilet stains.

I no longer buy fuel without taking someone along to watch the car,
so a serial killer doesn't crawl in my back seat when I'm filling up.

I no longer use Cling Wrap in the microwave because it causes
seven different types of cancer.

And thanks for letting me know I can't boil a cup of water
in the microwave anymore because it will blow up in my face,
disfiguring me for life.

I no longer go to the cinema because I could be pricked with a
needle infected with AIDS when I sit down.

I no longer go to shopping centers because someone will drug
me with a perfume sample and rob me..

I no longer answer the phone because someone will ask
me to dial a number for which I will get a huge phone bill with
calls to Jamaica , Uganda , Singapore and Uzbekistan ..

Thanks to you I can't use anyone's toilet but mine because a
big black snake could be lurking under the seat and cause me
instant death when it bites my butt.

And thanks to your great advice I can't ever pick up a
dime coin dropped in the car park because it was probably
placed there by a sex molester waiting to grab me as I bend over.

I can't do any gardening because I'm afraid I'll get bitten
by the Violin Spider and my hand will fall off.

If you don't send this e-mail to at least 144,000 people in
the next 70 minutes, a large dove with diarrhea will land
on your head at 5:00 p.m. tomorrow afternoon, and the
fleas from 120 camels will infest your back, causing you
to grow a hairy hump. I know this will occur because it
actually happened to a friend of my next door neighbor's
ex mother-in-law's second husband's cousin's best friend's
beautician!

Oh, and by the way...

A German scientist from Argentina , after a lengthy study,
has discovered that people with insufficient brain activity
read their e-mail with their hand on the mouse.

Don't bother taking it off now, it's too late.

P. S. I now keep my toothbrush in the living room, because
I was told by e-mail that water splashes over 6 ft. out
of the toilet..

NOW YOU HAVE YOURSELF A VERY GOOD DAY!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:19 pm

I can't stop laughing, Edy. That's PRICELESS !! How I wish I'd written it !!

:clap :clap :clap :superhappy :superhappy :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :heehee :heehee :heehee :heehee :heehee :heehee :joker2 :joker2 :joker2
Last edited by BeachGrandma on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:29 pm

Good afternoon to friends on the porch--those who are cold--and those not so much. It was 20 here this morning, but I understand that it's to be REALLY cold next week--colder than the 6 degrees of a week or so ago.

I've been buried in editing jobs, coming up for air occasionally, and right now, I'm waiting for a project coming soon. Also, I've been entangled with technical problems and I'm no techie! First a router to replace--then to get the printer working again. Agh! Where's Don when I need him!

Edy and Mariane, I do love your nursing home stories, but I'm no screen writer. I have a journal full of stories of 13 year-olds that remind me of the nursing home stories! I did put some together for one of the FW contests, but you can guess what happened with that.

My siblings and I never heard from Mom or Dad the whole story of their courtship. Mom was an elementary first-year teacher with two years of college, teaching in the little school in the Kentucky mountains, where Dad was a senior in high school. They were told not to see each other, and when Mother refused to resign because she saw him anyway, the board took her to court to try to fire her. My sister went to the courthouse after Mom and Dad had both gone to heaven and got the minutes from the trial. It was priceless. I took the notes and wrote a story from it. That one has not made it to publishing either. The upshot was that Mom and Dad eloped; so the board couldn't say anything about their seeing each other, and the judge in his concluding statement called it a big fuss over nothing.j

Chrissy, I hope you qualify so you can get all the necessary medications.

Don, I admire your creative abilities with wood. I bet you could make a money box!

Mariane, I admire your gifts with words, as well as your other artistic abilities. Your eggs are delightful. I love mine. Give greetings for me to Carol. She has such a beautiful spirit.

Edy, I love the e-mail. If I see at the bottom of one that I'm not a Christian if I don't forward it to everyone, I don't take the time to read it. Some of those on your list were really funny.
Our church has a missionary convention every February. I think the church supports, at least partially, 100 missionaries. I love to see the missionaries carrying the flags that represent their countries into the sanctuary.

Hope you all stay warm.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:12 pm

I finished a new relief carving a couple of weeks ago. Four years had gone by since I did any wood carving. I'll try to get a photo taken in the next week or so, then, post it here.

In my opinion, the carving turned out pretty good.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:16 pm

Verna, do you have a link to the writings on FaithWriters about your mom and dad? I'd love to read it if you do.

Stephen Harper, prime minister of Canada, has for many years been a member of the denomination I grew up in, the Christian & Missionary Alliance. Here is a great article about him and his support of Israel. Now that this administration has turned a cold shoulder toward Israel, Canada has found favor with Israel. Understandably, the C&MA's full support of Israel, as commanded by Scripture, influenced Stephen Harper's friendship with Israel. The U.S. turns its back on Israel at its own peril. The Bible makes it clear.

http://www.charismamag.com/blogs/standi ... est-friend
Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:26 am

I am always trying to learn from those who have greater knowledge and skills in the proper use of the English language. I certainly need all the help I can get for improving my writing technique.

With that in mind, something has been bothering me for several weeks.

Hillary Clinton's famous statement, "What difference at this point in time does it make?", is troublesome to me. To me it sounds awkward, but who am I to question that statement from the likes of Hillary? After all, with her level of education, she should know.

But, is it poor sentence construction? Or, am I way off base here?

Would it have been more correct to say, "At this point in time, what difference does it make?", or, "What difference does it make at this point in time?"

I bow to the wisdom of the language experts on the porch... :bow

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:47 pm

Mariane - thank you for sharing the link to introduce us to the Canadian prime minister. What a gift from God for such a man as Harper to be elected! I passed it along, and when my Howard read it, he wanted to know where I found it. Of course, I told him it was you! 8)

Don - something I didn't realize, before I was involved in the oral history collecting for Minnesota's women Vietnam veterans, is that spoken and written reports are going to sound different. While I was appalled at the content of Hillary's statement, I think by adding a couple commas to set off the clause: "...at this point in time...." it is technically not incorrect. But, I agree it sounds awkward. I definitely like your revision ("At this point in time, what difference does it make?") better, using the exact same words, just rearranging them. But, I'm no expert, either!

Verna - your parents' courtship story sounds intriguing. Do post a link, if it is available online. As for those 13 year olds, perhaps some of their stories would fit with our "Elliot Park" drama! We did have young candy stripers (including my little niece, Angie, one summer, the niece who is now an OB-Gyn doctor working with ex-pat women in Shanghai). Angie told me some of her own funny experiences working at Augustana, too. Then, we also had day-care children the activities' department arranged to come for visits. What a heart-warming vision to see the children with the doting "grandmas and grandpas" making cookies, together! And, what insight into individuals who love children, and those who don't! Around the circle of elders and children around the cooky-cutting table stood the judgmental Saducees, grumbling that the little ones were underfoot and just didn't belong. Uff da, such dark clouds on an otherwise sunshiney day!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:51 pm

This might be the sunny South, but I'm shivering in my boots today.

Mariane, thanks for the link about the Christian leader in Canada. Oh that American leaders would heed the Word.

Mariane and Edy, There is no link at FW or anywhere else to my parents' courtship story. I could send it to you as an e-mail attachment, but it is quite long! Just let me know if you're interested.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Today I treated my dog Betsy to a long-overdue, well-deserved, deluxe spa treatment. Included was a nail trim, professional shampoo, blow-dry, brushing, ears cleaned, snacks, and more. Lots of TLC for the Betsy.

After I brought her home, the first thing she did was go outside and roll in the snow. No problem - she choose fresh and clean snow. :lol:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:07 am

How can we ever thank them? How quickly we forget.....

https://www.youtube.com/v/AgYLr_LfhLo?version
=3&hl=en_US&rel=0%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam
Mariane Holbrook

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:31 pm

The weather has been freaky here lately--a massive high pressure system is parked over the state, diverting potential rain showers up and over it. This is supposed to be our rainy season, and it's bone dry out here. It's hot and clear, foggy and cool by turns. The governor finally called a drought emergency. I hope it doesn't get to the point of water rationing. I remember when we had to do that back in the 80s.

As for school stories, my mom came from York, PA and I remember her saying that the kids who lived in town had to walk to school, and the farm kids got the school bus. Snow days were almost unheard of. I remember one time mom was complaining about kids in the South getting a snow day with only one inch of snow on the ground; she says sometimes she and her siblings walked two miles to school, one way, even with three feet of snow on the ground, and one of my aunts having a heavy brace on her leg due to polio.

Of course, I was raised, though not born, in California, so I can't recall any days school was called because of weather, though I do remember there were times we got quite a bit of rain and had to stay inside for recess. And there were times it would be so foggy, you could play hide and seek in the fog, unless you were wearing brightly colored clothing. The fogs aren't so dense or as common as they used to be in the 60s, but that's not a bad thing. Fewer accidents, better breathing for those with asthma.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:21 pm

I don't know which is the worse weather for driving - dense fog with almost zero visibility, or a white-out blizzard. I think dense fog might be worse, because one can become disoriented very easily.

When I was a senior in high school in 1957, I drove my sister and myself eight miles to a neighboring town to see a movie. On the way there the weather seemed fine, but after the movie it had turned into a full-blown blizzard with heavy snow and high winds.

It took 1 1/2 hours to drive the eight miles on a South Dakota highway to home. The wipers couldn't keep the snow off the windshield. Visibility was no more than 10 feet due to the heavy, blowing snow.

I recall having my driver's side window open with my head hanging out so I could see the edge of the road. My top speed was less than 5mph.

Needless to say, we were happy to get back home in one piece.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler