To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:31 am

Speaking of pets, you will love this. Even if you've seen it before, you'll still laugh!

http://www.godvine.com/This-is-the-Hila ... 01/21/2014

:clap :superhappy :clap :superhappy :clap :superhappy
Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:25 pm

The video reinforces my love for dogs, and my dislike for cats. :lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:27 pm

Just goes to show how the Lord gave some of His creatures good parenting skills, and let the rest serve as bad examples! :lol:

Reminds me of little Rachel at our church. She is from Kenya, and so terribly cute. I may have shared a story about her before, too. Anyway, Howard and I covered the nursery this past Sunday morning. Edna stopped by with five year old Rachel, who is a little over age for the nursery, but I greeted her with, "Oh, Rachel, did you come to help us, today?" Her mom said if I thought she could help, she would let her stay. I was preoccupied with a recent newborn, otherwise leaving his big brother, three or four year old Christopher, to play alone. So, I was glad to welcome Rachel.

My goodness, she could run a household! Christopher looked a bit intimidated, and realized she was definitely "in charge" of their play and he'd better do what she said. I wish I'd had it all on video.

She scolded him for throwing around a stuffed kitty like a football: "Stop! You'll choke the baby!" Then she sat, squaw fashion, her back against the wall, holding the "baby." She explained to C. everything the mother has to do: feed the baby, change the baby, clean the house, buy the groceries....and on and on!

She is going to be one terrific mother and homemaker, I can tell. And, following my suggestion that they set the little table for pretend breakfast, she had Christopher spoon feeding a couple of dinosaur toys some pretend cereal.

Such fun! I just sat rocking the sleeping baby and with Howard both of us grinning from ear to ear, those tykes were so entertaining.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:12 pm

Not the best photo - too much table, not enough children; from Howard's "smart" phone (with a "dumb" operator, he says). :mrgreen: Hope it gives enough of an idea, anyway:

The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Next time, I'll try to remember to edit a photo before trying to post! Here's the other end of the table:

The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:42 pm

How many points do you think I should get for falling asleep at the computer?

It may seen like a silly question, but this will be the crunch between a disability pension and a "to bad so sad" resolution from Centrelink.

Basically, I need 20 points to qualify me for government assistance. In November I got 10 points which were related my foot drop, arthritis and Fibromyalgia related symptoms but the chronic fatigue didn't count. I was told quote: "You can work on the 3 days out of 7 that you are worst affected." So, how do I know which days?

Anyway, during the waiting time to get the "NO" from Centrelink and their capable psychologists, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism which could explain the increase is my tiredness/chronic fatigue. I appealled the decision and this morning I had another job capability assessment by another psychologist. She was much nicer and helpful but it's up to head office to "how many extra points" I will get.

I need another 10 points so please pray. Without some government assistance even my medications are out of reach.

Chrissy

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:00 pm

You should be awarded at least 10 points for enduring the pain/stress of psychologist appointments. :lol:

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:39 pm

Edy, we loved the story about Rachel,and the pictures, too. I don't care if they're crooked or even upside down; I love pictures. Sometime will you take pictures inside your church? You speak about it so often that I feel like I know it. You mentioned that Rachel is from Kenya. Has she been here long and did she by any chance come over under World Vision sponsorship? If so, we had a family come to our church from Ethiopia and, omigoodness, I could have written a book about that adorable family. They had lived in a tent all their lives and their escapades after they arrived in North Carolina were absolutely hilarious! They've done very well, and the kids all excel in school. When you mentioned Rachel was from Kenya, I thought of them. I know you and Howard had a great time watching Rachel. I would have loved it. :superhappy
Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:44 pm

Ok I just had to post this. All blondes please forgive me. :sofa

The Blonde and the Lord

A blonde wanted to go ice fishing.

She'd seen many books on the subject, and finally getting all the necessary tools together, she made for the ice.

After positioning her comfy footstool, she started to make a circular cut in the ice.

Suddenly, from the sky, a voice boomed,

"THERE ARE NO FISH UNDER THE ICE."

Startled, the blonde moved further down the ice, poured a thermos of cappuccino, and began to cut yet another hole.

Again from the heavens the voice bellowed,

The blonde, now worried, moved away, clear down to the opposite end of the ice.

She set up her stool once more and tried again to cut her hole.

The voice came once more,

She stopped, looked skyward, and said, "IS THAT YOU LORD?"

The voice replied,

"NO, THIS IS THE MANAGER OF THE ICE SKATING RINK!"

:superhappy :superhappy :lol: :lol: :clap :clap :sorry :sorry :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :shiney2 :shiney2 :heehee :heehee :heehee
Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:39 am

Okay, it's time for some true (wild)life humor:

Have any of you ever seen a squirrel fall out of a tree? It is a rare occurrence for sure. I had a ring-side view of such an event.

A squirrel with the confidence of an Evil Knievel attempted a daring jump through thin air from point A to point B - a span of at least four or five feet. Point A and point B were both skinny little twigs with questionable support value. What was that squirrel thinking?

But then, we're talking about a squirrel here. What could possibly go wrong?

The launch was successful, as was the arrival at point B. However, unplanned laws of physics began to show their ugly heads.

The sudden loading of squirrel weight on the bendy little twig caused it to flex and weave uncontrollably. In short, there was major slippage in the squirrel's grippage.

Then, gravity took over...causing the squirrel to free-fall at least 20 feet at a gravity acceleration rate of 9.8 meters/per second/per second until crash landing on planet earth.

Fortunately, 15 inches of snow cushioned the impact. The squirrel dug itself out of the fluffy white stuff and sat there for a moment assessing the situation. It was probably using a mental slide rule to re-calculate the bending stress limits of slender maple tree twigs.

With that done, it scampered away in search of more substantial tree branches in which to play.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:45 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:Edy, we loved the story about Rachel,and the pictures, too. I don't care if they're crooked or even upside down; I love pictures. Sometime will you take pictures inside your church? You speak about it so often that I feel like I know it. You mentioned that Rachel is from Kenya. Has she been here long and did she by any chance come over under World Vision sponsorship? If so, we had a family come to our church from Ethiopia and, omigoodness, I could have written a book about that adorable family. They had lived in a tent all their lives and their escapades after they arrived in North Carolina were absolutely hilarious! They've done very well, and the kids all excel in school. When you mentioned Rachel was from Kenya, I thought of them. I know you and Howard had a great time watching Rachel. I would have loved it. :superhappy

BeachGrandma - We have "connections" with Kenya through another Deaconess (my training hospital) nurse missionary there. I'll have to ask Edna how they ended up at St. Paul's, but the whole family emigrated from Kenya. They might have found us through another family at Luther Seminary. Both husband and wife from that family (older children still in Africa, their teenage son was with them, here) were here working on their doctorates, so probably hail from a city background in Kenya. Rachel's family have been with us since Rachel was barely able to walk. She would toddle up the steps (I had my heart in my throat, fearing she would fall) to stand alongside her father singing in the choir. She's so adorable!

If I don't find photos of St. Paul's on this fairly new computer, we will be delighted to take some to share with you. I'm crazy about our mission bulletin board (you'll see why - somebody sure had clever ideas!) and our balcony hung with many flags, representing either our members' country of origin, or where they served as soldiers of the cross.

You really should think about writing a book about that Ethiopian family's experience. Find an illustrator and do a children's book. It sounds like it would be a terrific learning experience for our natural born citizens to help promote understanding! :thumbs
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:16 pm

Here's one from last Spring's Global Worship Celebration. Our music director linked with ethnic choir directors throughout the twin cities and organized this. We've been enjoying these for the past six years, choirs from Vietnam, Burma's Karen (fled ethnic "cleansing"), Russia, Africa, Taiwan, etc.

We also have three other immigrant/refugee congregations that we've welcomed to share our building: two Ethiopian and one Hispanic, and merge into one for special events/services. Lots of 'speaking in tongues' at St. Paul's, just sharing native languages! 8)

Here's a photo of the finale, well about half a photo! I wish I knew how to size to fit, here!

The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:20 pm

The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:53 pm

I love that picture, Edy. I grew up in a very mission-oriented church and also family so this emphasis on missions is important to me. Two of my sisters and their families, my great grandfather, 6 cousins and 8 nephews and nieces were or are now missionary to several countries all over the world, plus so many friends, I can't count them who have chosen to spend their lives abroad. Billy Graham once said that when he visits a new church, the first thing he looks for when walking in the door are signs that the church is supporting foreign missions. It is, sadly, not a priority with many churches anymore.

Carol Penhorwood, our Porch buddy who can't visit the porch like she used to, sent me this devotional she wrote this week. I asked her if I could post it in her and she readily agreed. I love to see Carol writing again.

Impatient Consequences

Sensing God's promise in my spirit, I anxiously await it's fulfillment. And I wait and wait. Maybe God needs a little help. So I begin thinking about ways I can speed the process on using my own will and intelligence to bring about the promised fulfillment. But often my best intentions have long, lingering consequences I have not foreseen.
Just like Abram and Sarai, for example. God had promised them a child in their old age. But time was slipping by and no new life stirred in Sarai's womb. So Sarai comes up with a plan.
"Now Sarai, Abram's wife, had borne him no children. But she had an Egyptian maidservant named Hagar; so she said to Abram, 'The Lord has kept me from having children. Go, sleep with my maidservant; perhaps I can build a family through her.' Abram agreed to what Sarai said. So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian maidservant Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife. He slept with Hagar, and she conceived." (Genesis 16:1-4)
In Bible times a concubine (a slave acting as wife) was considered the norm. When a concubine provided children for the master, those children would be a part of the master's heritage. And, in fact, were considered legally to be the wife's children. Thus entered Hagar, Sarai's answer to meeting their needs.
But in God's timing, about thirteen years later, God miraculously fulfilled His promise and Isaac was born to 90 year old Sarai, becoming Sarah. Sarah's impatience resulted in two heirs, Ishmael and Isaac, creating dissension from then on. For only Isaac would fulfill the Abrahamic Covenant. Ishmael came into the world by natural means, but Isaac by supernatural. Ishmael became the father of Arabs, most of whom are Muslim today. Isaac became the father of Jews. The resulting conflict between Jews and Arabs which started in Biblical times, 4000 years ago, continues to this day.
Carol A. Penhorwood
1-17-14
Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Don and everyone else,

This will blow your mind. I mean it.

http://www.viralnova.com/box-of-money/

:eyes :eyes :eyes :clap :clap :coolsign :coolsign :heehee :heehee :heehee :orangeyes :orangeyes
Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler