To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:29 pm

Maybe I shared this before about the dentist I used when I was a South Dakota kid in the 1940's.

The guy was the only dentist in town, but he also worked part time on evenings and weekends doing dentistry work on horses. (Hey! Horses have tooth aches too)

He had a one room dental office with no other help with his practice. I recall he had a wall phone hanging right next to the dental chair. Often while he was busy doing something with my teeth, his phone would ring. Then, with one hand in my mouth he would answer the phone with his other hand.

He loved to chat, and often would spend 15-20 minutes on the phone talking about horses while I sat in the chair waiting for him to finish with my teeth.

Also, he didn't believe in using any Novocain in his dental work. The patients were just expected to hang on tight to the arms of the chair.

Note: I don't think he put braces or crowns on horses teeth - he just extracted them when they became rotten.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:15 pm

A friend sent me this and I thought it was great!

1. Prayer is not a "spare wheel" that you pull out when in trouble, but it
is a "steering wheel" that directs the right path throughout.

2. Why is a car's windshield so large and the rear view mirror so small?
Because our past is not as important as our future. So, look ahead and move on.

3. Friendship is like a book. It takes a short time to burn,
but it takes years to write.

4. All things in life are temporary. If it's going well, enjoy it, that
won't last long. If it's going badly, don't worry, that won't last long either.

5. Old friends are gold! New friends are diamonds! If you get a diamond, don't
forget the gold! Because to hold a diamond, you always need a base of gold!

6. Often when we lose hope and think this is the end, God smiles from above
and says, "Relax, sweetheart, it's just a bend, not the end!"

7. When God solves your problems, you have faith in His abilities; when God
doesn't solve your problems, He has faith in your abilities.

8. A blind person asked St. Anthony, "Can there be anything worse than
losing eye sight?" He replied, "Yes, losing your vision!"

9. When you pray for others, God listens to you and blesses them; sometime
when you are safe and happy, remember that someone has prayed for you.

10. Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
it takes away today's peace.

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:51 pm

I enrolled in a in-depth 18-week course that will meet weekly for 1 1/2 hours each at my church. The course is titled "A Study Of The End Times". The first lesson, an overview of the course, was held on Wednesday evening this week.

One hundred people had signed up for the course, but at least 130 showed up. The room was already packed full with tables, chairs, and people, but over 30 folding chairs needed to be brought in and set wherever they could find room. They quickly made the decision to split the class and offer it on two nights with the same leader. By the way, he is a terrific teacher.

The turnout was more than they had expected. It goes to show that people are hungry for that kind of study, for it is difficult to effectively present 27 hours of it from the pulpit on Sunday mornings. People realize we are now living in the last days, and they want/need to know more about them, and what to expect.

People must to set aside their opinions and interpretations as well as what their denominations, churches, and individuals might teach...and learn what Scripture has to say about the subject.

I was very impressed with the overview lesson this week. The course will go way beyond what I expected or even hoped for. Over the years I have learned a lot about the End Times, but I will come away from the classes knowing a whole lot more. To me, that is important because I believe the end time prophecies of things happening even today can be a valuable tool for showing unbelievers their need to take Scripture seriously and make a decision for Christ while there is still time.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:27 pm

So help me, I just did it again!!! For the second time tonight I posted a lengthy answer to Don's post about the class he is taking. And for the second time I deleted it before posting! My problem is that I wear a patch over one eye and it distorts my vision.

I'm too weary to do it all over for the third time so I'll say goodnight.

But I'm so happy you're in the class, Don. You'll have a lot to contribute to the discussions!

Night all.

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:04 pm

Here's something for our morning workout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA7vEIj6Lzk

You may have seen the young conductor profiled on 60 Minutes awhile ago. He's involved with youth orchestras, and I've never seen such a huge orchestra, ever. Not a blond in the bunch (I think this may be filmed in Venezuela). Watching this puts a smile on my face before I realize it. The clarinet soloist is such a cute little showboat; the flutist reminds me of my grand-niece Allegra; the snare-drummer (behind the big cymbal) looks like my nephew Loyal; and all those busy violin bows seem to be a bunch of dancing grasshoppers. Individual musicians, like the tuba player, make me chuckle.

What a lively bunch of players! They certainly put their whole self into their music. I don't know how many times I've played this - I just can't get enough of it. 8) :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:21 pm

Mariane and Edy!!! I'm so happy to see someone else on the porch besides me!!! :D

I was beginning to believe the rapture had happened, and I had been left behind. :(

But wait! Maybe it did happen and the three of us were left behind. :lol:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:29 pm

My brother Paul introduced us to the music, and when he posted it on facebook, my niece commented "I don't dance, but this makes my feet itch." :P Mine, too, I must admit.

Paul likened the music to a bull fight, and the piccolo solo to a little bird singing from the horns of the bull.

What do you think? 8)
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm not sayin' they're not good at what they do, but do you want my opinion?

I personally don't like it...it's not the kind of music I enjoy. I'm not a fan of long-haired orchestra sounds, but then, I don't like bluegrass music either. :roll:

So there! You asked...I answered. :lol:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:57 pm

Don, you're so funny. Everyone has his own preferences, that's for sure. I was just wondering what "picture" shows up in your mind when hearing the music (my brother=bull fight; me=grasshoppers dancing).

I do like a lot of orchestral music, adagios in particular (although I've discovered some avant guard composers I don't care for at all). I find it absolutely stunning how music without any words can pull strong emotions up out of a person's heart...which is why I am convinced that music is the language of Paradise. Note I say "music," not some of the cacophony that tries to pass for music in today's world! :P

Here's another example of a favorite. The first time I heard it is as if it were yesterday, I was so blown away by it. I even used that experience as an introductory story for one of my Salt & Light Report articles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9DOtuPLqNI

I heard an interview on public radio that revealed that Rodrigo wrote this piece in memory of his baby girl that died. That adds even more pathos to wring out my heart when I listen to it. But, even before that bit of background information, the music cried through my own heart, and still does whenever I hear it.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:15 pm

That music is much better! It's soft and easy listening stuff.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:57 pm

Edy, That adagio is one of my favorites. I couldn't believe Gustavo (sp?) is only 33 years old, just a kid but he's GOOD! I never saw a bigger orchestra either and loved that HUGE guy who looked like he might weight 600 lbs and counting! Also, was that guy playing a gourd? I never saw an instrument like it. I'll watch some more of Gustavo's work on Youtube which I think is the best thing around, whether you want orchestras or babies laughing or storytellers or painting lessons! Youtube seems to have it all. I'm so glad!

Do you two like dulcimer music? I love it! I bought a dulcimer once because I'm crazy about Christmas music played on a dulcimer. I think John paid $600 or $800 for it but I never could learn to play it. It's the opposite of piano playing and I just couldn't get it. But when we lived in the NC mountains, they would have these outdoor concerts at parks along the Blue Ridge parkway and often there would be dulcimer concerts. We'd take a picnic, take John's parents with us, and have the best times. Don, we loved their bluegrass festivals, too (that's John's favorite and also his dad's). But like Edy, I like almost all kinds of music except rap and the songs that are just noise and lots of it.

When we were in Nyack College (just north of New York City on the Hudson River) we went into NYC one afternoon to a concert at Carnegie Hall. It was very hoity-toity with women in furs and with those little eye glasses that hang down with a gold string. We sat in front of a couple who must have been from Westchester Country (the richest county in America) and they got very upset at John who made fun of the concert and kept popping jelly beans up in the air and catching them in his mouth. I was so mad at John that I didn't speak to him all the way home. He didn't care because he didn't have to go with me to another concert and that's what he was aiming for all along! He was a pretty wild kid in college and one of my professors was so upset when I started going with John that he called my parents! Oh brother!

:superhappy :tongue :superhappy :tongue :superhappy :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs
Gotta run!

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:23 am

BeachGrandma, you could make a living as a professional storyteller. You have such a marvelous repertoire of memories! How I wish we all lived close enough to visit the Porch for real, and listen in person. 8) :( :cry:

It's funny how old, long forgotten memories pop unbidden to the surface, with just the slightest trigger. This morning I remembered an older on-call doctor with a heavy Hungarian accent who worked at my training hospital when I was a new RN working labor and delivery. I made Howard laugh, telling him some of Dr. Berenak's words of wisdom. During one delivery, when he announced the newborn was a boy, the mother said, "Not another one! I was so hoping for a girl, this time!" Dr. B. replied, "Don't blame me, I'm not the pitcher, I'm just the catcher!" :lol:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:11 am

GOOD MORNING!!! It's late and past time to be up and at 'em!

Aww ... did I wake y'all up? I'm soooo very sorry!

(no, I'm not!) :lol:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:15 pm

What on earth happened Tuesday? The entire Porch was AWOL! :fingerwag :cop :fingerwag ...including me...ooops! :sorry ...never mind. :book2 :sofa
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:03 pm

Yesterday, I had a good excuse for being absent. I started a new med for blood pressure and it gave me a headache like I haven't had in a long time. I didn't do much except complain and walk around driving John crazy. But today I feel better and my BP is great! :clap

Edy, I love the story of the pitcher and catcher! Don't you know doctors could write the best books about their patients if they knew they wouldn't get sued? I'll bet your brother doctors have a file full of funny stories. Any chance of our going through their files? hehe :superhappy

Our boys have gone to their mother's for several days. We still have to take the tree down and put away the presents. This house is something Urban Renewal would love to get ahold of and fill their dump trucks with half-eaten candy, cereal boxes on the coffee table, size dinky boy's underwear on the bathroom floor, Legos all over the kitchen bar, and blankets on the living room floor where the boys made a tent and shot their water guns at everyone who walked by. But they love living here and you can see why. We can always clean up the mess but we can't make up for lost days with them. We absolutely adore them and all their hugs and kisses and "I love you" (s) Normally their dad helps them clean up before they leave but they were so rushed this morning getting ready for school that I told them Grandpa and I would clean up.

I'm so hungry for chocolate pie. Do any of you have some you could send dry through your printer and when it arrives, I'll rehydrate it and enjoy it?

See you laterrrrrr.
Hugs. :grouphug3 :grouphug :grouphug3 :grouphug :grouphug3 :grouphug :hugkiss :hugs3 :hugs2 :handshake :loveyou :pirate2 :heehee

Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler