To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby RiversidePeace » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:07 pm

ready2go wrote:
RiversidePeace wrote:
ready2go wrote:Have you ever had some unknown person about 6'-8" tall with shoulders over 3' wide and a head the size of an over-inflated soccer ball decide to sit directly in front of you at church or some other event?

Well, it happened to me at church yesterday. I couldn't look around him, and I couldn't look above him. I couldn't move anywhere else 'cause the church was packed. I could hear the choir singing, but they were unseen. The Pastor's message could have been a recording for all I knew.

For situations like that, the ushers should hand out periscopes.

:lol:

Don

DON, shame on you. You missed an opportunity. You could have SNORED, SIGHED LOUDLY, BELCH and even PASSED WIND right up close to him and he would move alright. People would glare at him, move away from him and turn their heads to see who was releasing these discusting noises. He would have slid down in his chair very happily.

LOL!

:heehee

But, I don't make disgusting noises.

:oops:

Don

A chance to be bold. :lol:

Chrissy

BettyDee
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby BettyDee » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:10 pm

Very quick pop in to say Merry Christmas to everyone. I am very busy at the moment - first party tonight, then we will have our quiet Christmas at home tomorrow. Everyone be blessed.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:36 pm

Sending my own Merry Christmas wish--

(Sorry I changed your name, Chrissy!)

We had a flood of visitors yesterday. What fun I had with almost 9-month-old Titus. Tonight begins the second flood, including almost 10 month old Ella. I expect by tomorrow evening, it will be just my honey and me--the way it usually is!

Our Christmas Eve candlelight service was inspiring with magnificent music and the message of the wonder of Christmas. There are three services, and we went to the earliest one, and though the sanctuary was packed, and there were many children, they were quieter than I expected--even with a 20 minute message. It did my heart good to see so many families there to hear the Gospel proclaimed clearly.

May the blessing of Christmas touch each of you, my porch friends, in some special way.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Allison

Postby Allison » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:56 pm

ready2go wrote:Have you ever had some unknown person about 6'-8" tall with shoulders over 3' wide and a head the size of an over-inflated soccer ball decide to sit directly in front of you at church or some other event?

Well, it happened to me at church yesterday. I couldn't look around him, and I couldn't look above him. I couldn't move anywhere else 'cause the church was packed. I could hear the choir singing, but they were unseen. The Pastor's message could have been a recording for all I knew.

Don

This is how I feel when anyone of over the height of 5'9" sits in front of me. ;)
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:57 am

Allison wrote:

Don

This is how I feel when anyone of over the height of 5'9" sits in front of me. ;)

You could ask for a booster chair, ya know. :lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:00 am

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

My daughter and my son and his wife were here last evening for a light dinner I had prepared for them. I made Sloppy Joes, a mixed fruit salad, chips, plus I had baked a Southern pecan pie and four kinds of Christmas cookies.

We had a great time together.

However, I was so tuckered out that I went to bed at 9:00pm and didn't wake up until 6:15 this morning. That's over nine hours without moving! Now I have a nasty headache I must deal with before I drive 30 miles to my son's house for dinner today. I'm gettin' too old for this stuff.

I even forgot to put out milk and cookies for Santa last night. Oh well, a roving band of rogue mice would probably have found them before Santa arrived. It's just as well 'cause Santa needs to lose a few pounds anyway. :P Did you know that if you re-arrange all the letters in the word "Santa", it spells the word "Satan"?

I had been up since 4:45am (my normal wake up time) and worked most of the day preparing for company. Since my daughter arrived early afternoon from Iowa, I didn't get my usual after-lunch nap either. :(

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:18 pm

I know what you mean, Don. We don't have the stamina we once did. But, what a joy to contribute to making the season bright for one another, even though we feel like collapsing for a long winter's nap mid-celebration.

Here, for those who don't do Facebook, is a photo from last evening's Candlelight Christmas Eve service:

And, here's the story to accompany the photo:
The Most Beautiful Night Of The Year

Wishing everyone a most blessed Christmas season, all 12 Days of it! 8)
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:34 pm

It sounds like everyone had a good Christmas. We certainly did. Got a lot of stuff, and we weren't even good. :lol: Just think what we might get if we behaved one year.

Don, I couldn't function if I got up as early as you do every day.

Edy, I saw your photo on FB, but I think you can see detail better here. The photo is stunning, and so is the story.

Does anyone have plans to shop for after christmas bargains in the next few days? Other than going out to get what we need at the grocery store, I think I will avoid the stores for a few more days.

Well, my bones and muscles are screaming for rest. Guess I will turn in. Y'all behave.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:17 pm

This morning after all the presents had been opened and the discarded wrapping paper was 3 ft high and the noise from our two grandsons had settled down to a gentle hum, my youngest grandson, Charles who is in 3rd grade, came to me, then to John and said,"Thank you for making this the best Christmas I've ever had!" He gave us a hug and a kiss and it made everything so worthwhile. How 2 boys can bring so much joy and happiness into our home is just beyond me. They love their dad's fiance, Christine, and she'll be an affectionate and loving step-mother to them.

Our other son, Johnny, will be here tomorrow or the next day to bring Christmas dinner with them so we'll stretch Christmas out even longer.

I'm so glad to read about all your Christmases. Onward and upward, for another new year is about to begin
. :superhappy
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Allison

Postby Allison » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:24 pm

So for those who didn't see them on Facebook, here are a couple of pictures of 1940s me. This is me in my costume for the musical I was in at church. It was a lot of work, but I had SO much fun doing it. This Sunday at church, I was walking up to people who were in the cast with me and saying "I haven't seen you for a whole WEEK!" :)

Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:46 pm

Nice pics.

We drove down to the coast to have Christmas with 2 of Norm's sisters, so nephews and nieces and their families. Everyone arrived between 12pm and 1pm except for a nephew who is a policeman and he was on duty until 6pm but that was fine because the party continued until 11pm. I was so glad we had arranged to stay overnight. It was a very busy day but it was so much fun. I'm not sure if I could do it all again next year though.

Chrissy

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:29 am

Self suddenly became aware that today is the day after yesterday...and also the day before tomorrow.

Wow! That's mind numbing stuff!

Looks around. Sees nobody. Does the Tim Conroy shuffle back from whence he came. :?

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:10 pm

Ah, the Second Day of Christmas, time to stay home in a warm house and plan how to enjoy the remaining season of Christmas minus the pressure of the hustle and bustle preparations of Advent. Now I can compose my annual Advent-Christmas-Epiphany year-end wrap-up news update, "The Prairie Nightingale," featuring the Ghosts of Christmas: Past, Present, and Future. Sound intriguing? Stay tuned!

I may even bake up a batch of Julekaga to share with local family and friends...but, I'll only do that if I really feel like it! :lol:

Happy 2nd Day of Christmas, everyone. Here's a new-to-me carol for your listening pleasure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=604xpA8d ... ec&index=2
A Caribbean Noel
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:14 pm

I'm baaaack! Wasn't planning on it, but this is too good to keep to myself:

Today's Groaners:
Q. If athletes get athlete's foot, what do astronauts get?
A. Mistletoe!

Q. Where do polar bears vote?
A. The North Poll.

Q. What do you get when you cross a snowman with a vampire?
A. Frostbite.

Q. What do you call a bunch of grandmasters of chess bragging about their games in a hotel lobby?
A. Chess nuts boasting in an open foyer!

Q. What do you call a cat on the beach at Christmas time?
A. Sandy Claus!

Q. What nationality is Santa Claus?
A. North Polish.

Q. What did Santa shout to his toys on Christmas Eve?
A. Okay everyone, sack time!

Q. What goes Ho, Ho, Swoosh, Ho, Ho, Swoosh?
A. Santa caught in a revolving door!

Q. If Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus had a child, what would he be called?
A. A subordinate claus.

Q. What do you do if Santa gets stuck in your chimney?
A. Pour Santa flush on him.

Q. How come you never hear anything about the 10th reindeer, "Olive"?
A. Yeah, you know, "Olive the other reindeer, used to laugh and call him names..."

Q. What was so good about the neurotic doll the girl was given for Christmas?
A. It was wound up already.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Edy, you have been cracking open too many Christmas crackers. (bons bons) The jokes in them are always the same. e.g..

Q. What do you have if you put a dozen ducks into a box.
A. Box of quackers (crackers)

Q. Why did the golf player wear 2 pairs of trousers?
A. In case he got a whole in one.

Chrissy

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler