To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:03 am

RiversidePeace wrote:You are good Don! I've seen wood carvings for sale by professionals that cost way too much and no where as good as yours. And the writing, WOW. Never seen writing so neat in wood carving before. They're just...super.

Chrissy

I burn each letter and number into the wood using a wood burning tool. If a slip of the hand or mistake is made, well...the carving can go into the garbage can.

I am a "nobody" wood carver. If I was a known "name" in wood caring circles, then perhaps I could sell them for a price that might cover the cost of the wood. However, I have no need nor interest in making money from either my writings or wood carvings.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:11 pm

They're good; there's no doubt about it, Don. What a great hobby. I bought John a carving set and some basswood thinking he'd enjoy carving but he was too busy to even try it.

I wish I could talk all of you into watching the Little Couple and recording it from 1 pm to 7 pm tomorrow (Monday) on The Learning Channel TLC. I have watched some of the other shows featuring dwarfism but this is several cuts above all of them put together. You take a mother who is an M.D. in the Texas Children's Hospital and a father who owns his own company, and an adorable little boy who they shower with love and it's a recipe for success. Like the millions of others, I am anxious to see what their newly adopted baby girl from India looks like. I absolutely love this family. The thing that struck me most about the show is how much the couple cherish each other. I use that word sparingly because it's not every day you see this. Then when I heard that Jen the mother now has cancer, I sat down and cried like a baby. But she'll handle it with dignity and will use it as a means to encourage others who are also suffering from it. I know Bill, her husband, is devastated. Please watch it. Even one show. It's has such class, such humor and such an example of love that you'll fall in love with this little family.

Gotta run. Merry Christmas everyone. I love all of you. Big time!
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:28 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:They're good; there's no doubt about it, Don. What a great hobby. I bought John a carving set and some basswood thinking he'd enjoy carving but he was too busy to even try it.

I wish I could talk all of you into watching the Little Couple and recording it from 1 pm to 7 pm tomorrow (Monday) on The Learning Channel TLC. I have watched some of the other shows featuring dwarfism but this is several cuts above all of them put together. You take a mother who is an M.D. in the Texas Children's Hospital and a father who owns his own company, and an adorable little boy who they shower with love and it's a recipe for success. Like the millions of others, I am anxious to see what their newly adopted baby girl from India looks like. I absolutely love this family. The thing that struck me most about the show is how much the couple cherish each other. I use that word sparingly because it's not every day you see this. Then when I heard that Jen the mother now has cancer, I sat down and cried like a baby. But she'll handle it with dignity and will use it as a means to encourage others who are also suffering from it. I know Bill, her husband, is devastated. Please watch it. Even one show. It's has such class, such humor and such an example of love that you'll fall in love with this little family.

Gotta run. Merry Christmas everyone. I love all of you. Big time!

It's sounds good. We are beginning to get better shows now that many more TV channels are available in Sydney. Like we're only 3 years behind having Analogue turned off here in New South Wales. In Queensland we were updated back in 2010 so our household We has been ready for most of that time, picking up an extra channel here and there. Sigh. We keep up with ye Americans in most things but other ways we're slack. I was visiting Faithwriter Jan in 2008 when TV messages were reminding of the switch to digital. However, because we haven't had digital TV here, I just haven't bothered to watch much TV. We're a 3D DVD & Blue Ray household mostly. :)

Merry Christmas everyone.

Love, Chrissy

Verna

Postby Verna » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:51 pm

Don, your gift with woodworking is amazing! The items pictured your son and daughter should cherish.

THE PANTHERS WON! I was so sure they would lose, I almost left the room for the last four minutes. Hooray! They pulled it off! My sole football watching consists of the Panthers and the Superbowl (rarely occurring at the same time!)

So looking forward to seeing family this week--Son and wife with one granddaughter and family tomorrow. (Can't wait to hold Titus) Other granddaughter with family the night of Christmas Eve. We'll get to be with little great granddaughter, Ella, for her first Christmas. (I think her parents showed her Christmas gifts to her a month of so ago--smile,but she won't remember.) Then later Christmas day, our daughter, her husband, and younger son will join us. Joy!

I wish each of you the joy of knowing the Messiah this Christmas.

If I have any peanut butter balls left after Christmas, I'll leave some on the porch--or some brownies, or Derby pie, or pound cake with peppermint ice cream, or pumpkin-cream cheese roll.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Verna

Postby Verna » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:01 pm

This is worth a smile: On the Amazon page where my poetry book, Somewhere Beyond the Blue, is offered, there is a used one offered under the new ones--for just $999.99 plus $3.95 shipping--just in case you need a last minute gift. :D

This is worth a tear --or two:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/WxjZB5S_g7s?rel=0
Verna

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Verna wrote:This is worth a smile: On the Amazon page where my poetry book, Somewhere Beyond the Blue, is offered, there is a used one offered under the new ones--for just $999.99 plus $3.95 shipping--just in case you need a last minute gift. :D

This is worth a tear --or two:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/WxjZB5S_g7s?rel=0

Yikes! Is that how authors earn their millions?

;)

Merry Christmas Verna.

Love, Chrissy

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Chrissy, that may be how speculators "rip off" buyers to line their own, not the author's, pockets. :cry:
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Verna

Postby Verna » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:08 pm

And a special Merry Christmas to you, Christy, with love, and I'm not in danger of making millions--not even hundreds. :)
Verna

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:07 pm

During the 9 months I've been attending my new church, I've noticed a lady each Sunday who plays bells in the orchestra. She appears to be in her mid/late 40's. Each week she has a leashed service dog (a golden retriever) with her. The dog wears a harness with pockets on each side.

Today I asked someone what that was all about. I was told the lady has diabetes that will crash to serious lows with little warning. She has lapsed into a diabetic coma several times - a life threatening condition.

The dog is trained to sense when she is beginning to experience dangerous low blood sugar (by smell? or her actions?) and warn her of the danger. The side pockets contain the necessary items and meds she can use to re-gain a more normal blood sugar.

Amazing!

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:50 am

A sneak pic of Millie's surprise.

Chrissy (Ma)

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Look at those big eyes! I never cease to marvel at the Lord our Creator and His design for life. Precious babies just pull out the heart-strings of older family members entrusted with their care, from their sweet faces to their tiny little toes. I can't get enough! 8)
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Have you ever had some unknown person about 6'-8" tall with shoulders over 3' wide and a head the size of an over-inflated soccer ball decide to sit directly in front of you at church or some other event?

Well, it happened to me at church yesterday. I couldn't look around him, and I couldn't look above him. I couldn't move anywhere else 'cause the church was packed. I could hear the choir singing, but they were unseen. The Pastor's message could have been a recording for all I knew.

For situations like that, the ushers should hand out periscopes.

:lol:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:12 pm

ready2go wrote:Have you ever had some unknown person about 6'-8" tall with shoulders over 3' wide and a head the size of an over-inflated soccer ball decide to sit directly in front of you at church or some other event?

Well, it happened to me at church yesterday. I couldn't look around him, and I couldn't look above him. I couldn't move anywhere else 'cause the church was packed. I could hear the choir singing, but they were unseen. The Pastor's message could have been a recording for all I knew.

Don

DON, shame on you. You missed an opportunity. You could have SNORED, SIGHED LOUDLY, BELCH and even PASSED WIND right up close to him and he would move alright. People would glare at him, move away from him and turn their heads to see who was releasing these discusting noises. He would have slid down in his chair very happily.

LOL!

:heehee

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Edy wrote:Look at those big eyes! I never cease to marvel at the Lord our Creator and His design for life. Precious babies just pull out the heart-strings of older family members entrusted with their care, from their sweet faces to their tiny little toes. I can't get enough! 8)

We missed most of the early years of our other three grandchildren because we lived so far away. We see them at least every other month now but we have lost those moments. Millie is so adorable and I wouldn't want to miss these years with her too. It's so nice to see her at least once a week when we have her for a day.

Oh…and she has my eye colour. No one can figure it but she does. :)

Chrissy

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:42 pm

RiversidePeace wrote:
ready2go wrote:Have you ever had some unknown person about 6'-8" tall with shoulders over 3' wide and a head the size of an over-inflated soccer ball decide to sit directly in front of you at church or some other event?

Don

DON, shame on you. You missed an opportunity. You could have SNORED, SIGHED LOUDLY, BELCH and even PASSED WIND right up close to him and he would move alright. People would glare at him, move away from him and turn their heads to see who was releasing these discusting noises. He would have slid down in his chair very happily.

LOL!

:heehee

But, I don't make disgusting noises.

:oops:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler