To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BettyDee
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BettyDee » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:28 pm

I've been doing some Christmas baking, too. Made some of my grandmother's famous soft sugar cookies today, and made some marzipan cookies a few days ago. They are in the freezer, too. Also made a batch of slow cooker candy. I still have buckeyes and Linzer bars to make, and I'm calling it good.

It's raining here. We need it badly. Hope it keeps it up for awhile.

Everyone, what are your Christmas/Christmas Eve traditions? My daughter's birthday is Christmas Eve, so we have a birthday party along with our Christmas Eve finger foods and gift exchange with her family. It's usually just Don and I on Christmas Day. We don't have any special plans, but I will make dinner for us.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:51 pm

We'll have the boys until Christmas afternoon, then they'll go to be with their mother for a few days. They bring so much fun and excitement to Christmas! :christmas2 I bought some Christmas cookie cutters and now I can't remember where I put it or the cookie press! I've looked everywhere. :eyes I thought we'd spend all this weekend making cookies, fudge, etc. so I'll have to get some cookie cutters at Walmart or some place if they still have any. :orangeyes

I think Tim is about to give Christine a diamond on Christmas. :hugs2 I don't know when they'll be married but I guess it's soon because I heard them talking about going to Honduras for their honeymoon. :hugkiss Christine's family is from there and she still has many relatives there. Tim likes to deep sea dive and snorkel and he said something about Honduras being the sky diving capital of the world. The plane fare from here and back will be a wedding gift from his brother, Johnny, which is a lovely and generous gift. :clap :shiney2

Christine has a job with a state-run counseling and therapy office and will start next Tuesday. She's so excited! To make Christmas even nicer, she received a very large check today from an insurance company relative to an accident she was in months ago, when a lady came into her line of traffic and hit Christine. So tonight she's riding around on Cloud 9. :superhappy

Do any of you watch the tv show "The Little Couple?" If I've asked before, I'm sorry to be repeating myself. Monday morning on TLC (The Learning Channel) from 1 pm til 7 pm they will be showing this year's entire series if you want to record it. It's my favorite show by far. Now that this wonderful couple has adopted a darling little boy from China who also suffers from dwarfism, they went to India to adopt a little girl who also is a little person. This is a reality show so you can imagine how all of who have followed this family felt when we read that Jen the mother was taken sick in India and had to rush home for emergency surgery. Her husband stayed on to bring both children back to the States by himself. Jen is a doctor at the Texas Children's Hospital but no one
had a clue that she had cancer. They removed the tumor from her abdomen and hope they got it all. I sat here and cried and cried when I read it on the news. Imagine, they finally had their dreams come true, adopting a boy and girl and now cancer. :cry2 It's especially hard on little people because of the way they're built. I know they both are devastated by the news. Do any of you watch the show? I absolutely love little Will who is now 3. They're supposed to be back on tv with a new season beginning in March when they will introduce Zoey their newest adoptee. :loveyou

Gotta run.
:christmas2
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:15 pm

Mariane, yes a trip to Honduras is a very nice gift! But then, so is a diamond. I LOVE bling, and if it's special bling, even better.

I've never watched the Little Couple, but I've seen the commercial and have a vague idea what it is about. I did see the little boy they adopted. Honestly, I wasn't sure I would like the show, but since it comes so highly recommended, I might have to watch it.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:25 am

Have I ever mentioned how addictive wood carving can be? Really...I'm being serious here! After about four years of not making wood chips, I recently started a new carving. Now, I can't leave it alone. Just gotta have my “chip-fix” every day.

Because of that, the carving work is progressing weeks ahead of schedule. At that rate it will likely be finished in a few days.

Then, I'll need to start a new one. :lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:46 am

I used to carve when I was a kid, picked it up from my dad, who was in Boy Scouts for years, as a member and then leader.
Now that our son is in Cub Scouts, and I'm his den leader, we're starting to work on knife safety. Our daughter got her own knife a couple years ago, she's in Girl Scouts. But we've been making her do the same knife safety that the boys do.
So far, they are only using plastic knives on soap, they'll get their chip cards next year, with knives when the parents decide they want them to have one lol.
I may need to pick up a carving set for myself :)

ready2go wrote:Have I ever mentioned how addictive wood carving can be? Really...I'm being serious here! After about four years of not making wood chips, I recently started a new carving. Now, I can't leave it alone. Just gotta have my “chip-fix” every day.

Because of that, the carving work is progressing weeks ahead of schedule. At that rate it will likely be finished in a few days.

Then, I'll need to start a new one. :lol:

Don
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:40 am

Here are some examples of my previous carvings:

8)

[b]Don[/b
]
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:47 am

That's my experience, too, Don. I've often told friends that dieting, where one focuses on food - what you cannot eat, etc. - is not the way to lose weight. When I took an oil painting class in college, I surprised myself how I could spend six hours working on a painting and never realize where the time went, and never gave food or water a thought. Just think how skinny I could get if I spent all day in the studio! :lol:

It sure helps to have one's hands occupied with something a bit messy, like digging in the garden, to keep fingers out of the munchies, too.

RedBaron - my mom introduced me to carving a figure out of a bar of soap with a table knife when I was little. I think sculpting is fun. Once, when I covered the troop clinic for a Boy Scout camp, I spent my spare time, besides reading the Boy Scout Handbook, in carving a wooden-head neckerchief "slide," or whatever they're called. It was a kit I picked up which I modified into an Indian princess. Wish I could lay my hands on a photo of it. I gave the carving to a friend, who sent back snapshots of it.

But, that's the only wood carving I've ever done. Too much else on my "table," or irons in the fire.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:54 am

Don, do you ever consider selling any of your work? I really like that lighthouse one. Or, you might be able to find someone to make a mold of your original to cast copies for sale. Just be sure to carve your signature into the piece so folks will know who the artist is.

So much detail, especially in that one, it must have taken a long time to carve - if you priced by the hour, you'd probably end up unable to sell the original, because it would be priceless! :thumbs
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Edy wrote:Don, do you ever consider selling any of your work? I really like that lighthouse one. Or, you might be able to find someone to make a mold of your original to cast copies for sale. Just be sure to carve your signature into the piece so folks will know who the artist is.

So much detail, especially in that one, it must have taken a long time to carve - if you priced by the hour, you'd probably end up unable to sell the original, because it would be priceless! :thumbs

Sell them? No, most have been given away. I kept 8 or 9 of the carvings for use as "show 'n tell" pieces when I give my 40 minute talk titled, "My Woodcarving Story", that I have been asked to do a few times. In that talk I weave a biblical message into the story behind each carving.

I create all of my own drawings for the theme, then carve it into the wood. The "Grace" carving was an exception to that - I copied the well known painting, but with some modifications.

The lighthouse carving took well over 100 hours to complete. Most others are in the 50 to 70 hour range.

There are professional wood carvers out there who sell their work and put lots of bread on the table for their efforts. I've seen carvings priced at $20,000 to $30,000 each.

I'm just a beginner at making wood chips.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Wow, Don, to say that your carvings are impressive would be the understatement of the century! I used to do a little whittling when I was a kid, using my brother's old Boy Scout knife or sometimes a table knife. For some weird reason I cannot fathom, after I would finish a piece, I would look at it for a few minutes, then carve it into oblivion. :? They were nothing special, anyway.

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:33 pm

I have never carved a thing, hardly even a turkey. But Don, those are exquisite. You are no beginner. I wondered too, if you had ever sold any. I bet you could!

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:55 pm

Okay, here's some more for ya...

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Don, those are amazing! Way beyond anything I've ever done.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:03 am

You are good Don! I've seen wood carvings for sale by professionals that cost way too much and no where as good as yours. And the writing, WOW. Never seen writing so neat in wood carving before. They're just...super.

Chrissy

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:26 am

We had an early Christmas today with our son, daughter-in-law and Millie, who is a year old in 3 weeks time. We bought her a rocking pony -- a small rocking horse. We had to help her on it but she was delighted. She squealed and chuckled very time she pressed it's ear and it neighed. She worked out how to slide off but after patting "pony's" nose she wanted back on. LOL! Millie isn't quite walking but her talking is coming on well.

Millie was so warn out she was still sleeping way past her afternoon nap time is usually finished and even missed out joining us all in their 18feet x 25feet back yard in-ground swimming pool. We won't see them until after Christmas. They will spend Christmas day with our daughter-in-law's family, this being the first Christmas without her mum who passed away just a few months ago from breast cancer.

Tonight I finished packing my dad's bag for his 5 day stay with my brother who is traveling over the Blue Mountains early tomorrow to collect him. Dad is Millie's youngest of 4 great grandchildren and had a great time with her today too, especially when she called 'granddad' the moment he walked in the door behind Norm and I this morning.

Such a busy day and another scorcher. I'm off to bed.

Chrissy

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler