To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:52 pm

With that many people in the orchestra, one of them could probably fake it and get away with it for a long time. Who would know?

Also, a few bad notes here and there wouldn't be noticed either.

:lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:29 pm

ready2go wrote:[With that many people in the orchestra, one of them could probably fake it and get away with it for a long time. Who would know?

Don

The person next to them would know. They have an ear for sound and probably know if the person beside them ws faking or hitting wrong notes.

My daughter played a flute in a band in her late teens. On some occaissions the layout of the band was rather cramped and so she would often sit beside a trumpet player. Unfortunately for my daughter, she had a rare hearing condition that caused her to faint at times when a certain pitch was reached. It was never a problem if everyone played the right notes but if a trumpet player missed a note, yes, everyone knew.

Sadly it was this rare condition that kept her from making music her career.

Chrissy

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Oh my, Chrissy, your daughter's condition reminds me of a Sherlock Holmes story about music boxes. She could be a character you write into a mystery story! Mighty interesting, I must say. Does her condition have a name? I'm curious how it might have been diagnosed!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Edy wrote:Oh my, Chrissy, your daughter's condition reminds me of a Sherlock Holmes story about music boxes. She could be a character you write into a mystery story! Mighty interesting, I must say. Does her condition have a name? I'm curious how it might have been diagnosed!

Can't remember the name of the condition it was more than 10 years ago it was diagnose but she doesn't seem to have trouble now but then she does play in a band. I think though it was a matter of ellimination after multiple tests. It was the Army that picked it up. She had audition for one of the Army bands and had been invited to joined the band as an extra when they were reheasing for the musical West End? East End? can't remember but she fainted twice in practice and so the process began and she failed the medical to enter the Army. It could'nt be a common problem surely.

Chrissy

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:19 pm

RiversidePeace wrote:
Edy wrote:Oh my, Chrissy, your daughter's condition reminds me of a Sherlock Holmes story about music boxes. She could be a character you write into a mystery story! Mighty interesting, I must say. Does her condition have a name? I'm curious how it might have been diagnosed!

Can't remember the name of the condition it was more than 10 years ago it was diagnose but she doesn't seem to have trouble now but then she does play in a band. I think though it was a matter of ellimination after multiple tests. It was the Army that picked it up. She had audition for one of the Army bands and had been invited to joined the band as an extra when they were reheasing for the musical West End? East End? can't remember but she fainted twice in practice and so the process began and she failed the medical to enter the Army. It could'nt be a common problem surely.

Chrissy

Maybe it was related to the vibration caused by a sound pitch.

Sorta like glass breaking due to vibration when a certain sound/volume/pitch level is reached.

Vibration can do wierd things. Once I watched a controlled experiement where high frequency vibrations were applied to a fully assembled mechanical device. I saw all the screws turn and back out allowing the device to disassemble and fall into a pile of pieces. :shock:

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:35 pm

How about this tongue twister? If you can quickly say this ten times without a mistake, then, you're the winner.

"The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick."

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:49 pm

As a former music ed major and teacher, it would be noticed... trust me lol.

ready2go wrote:With that many people in the orchestra, one of them could probably fake it and get away with it for a long time. Who would know?

Don
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Hellllooooo Miss Barbie! Nice to see you here.

Fainitng when a certain note is played/heard. That is very unusual. Sounds like fodder for a story to me. And yeah, everyone would certainly know when that wrong note was reached!

It's cold here, even in Texas.We've had some nasty sleet or something that made the ground a little bit white, but you can still see the grass. They were predicting a colder and wetter winter for us this year. So far, they have been right.

And prayers for Edy''s BIL. Poor fella.

I have so much to do here, but I just don't wanna do it. Anyone wanna come and help?
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:00 pm

BettyDee wrote:Fainitng when a certain note is played/heard. That is very unusual. Sounds like fodder for a story to me. And yeah, everyone would certainly know when that wrong note was reached!

no no. it was usually an unreached note, liky a squawk when it should be an actual not. Playing scales never found the culprit because it wasnt an actually note. It was a "missed" note.

Chrissy

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Betty, the MRI on my BIL's foot showed an abscess on bone, so he was scheduled for surgery at 4 p.m., today. Thanks for prayer support, that excision and antibiotics will do the job, for complete healing. Osteomyelitis can be nasty.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Well,Chrissy, I'm afraid I'm just more confused now. :? But I will certainly take your word for it.

Edy, glad to hear the excision and antibiotics will do the trick. It doesn't sound like any fun at all!
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi Barb! It's good to see your smiling face again! I loved the pictures you posted on Facebook, too.

Edy, the cookies made with Nutella look wonderful! I'll try them. My DIL-to-be will be helping me bake Christmas cookies this year and I'm so glad for her help. I saw a new cookie press for sale on Ebay with a $50 price tag printed on the box so I decided to bid. I really got lucky! Nobody else bid so I got it for $7.00. Can you believe it? I love to bid on Ebay, because I win a lot. I never make any bid until the last 30 seconds which doesn't leave time for other bids. Cagey, huh?

Have any of you had experience with a cookie press? I know how to make a simple butter cookie but Charles, my youngest grandson, asked why couldn't I use the same dough I use for chocolate chip cookies, but just leave out the chocolate chips. Do you all think that would work? Inquiring minds want to know. Any other tips you have for me using a cookie press, I'll be glad to have.

Our house is all decorated so if I can get John to take some pictures, then I'll ask Christine (Tim's fiance) to show me how to post the pix using Edy's instructions.

Did you all see "The Sound of Music Live" last night? I watched it and wondered what you all thought of the production, in comparing it to the Julie Andrews movie.

Later
............ :brrr :thumbs :love2 :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :grouphug3 :hugkiss :hugs3 :hugs2 :grouphug :handshake :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:05 pm

Sorry, Mariane! We don't have cable, and I didn't notice it on any of our regular channels. Thursday nights if I watch anything, it's mysteries on PBS, but they've been running junk along with their regularly unscheduled begging routine, so I didn't watch anything :lol:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:28 am

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Here's the latest report on my BIL from my niece Grace:

Update on my Dad:
Earlier today after getting an MRI of his foot, the doctors had thought they saw a 'glowing' spot on the side of his bone which seemed to indicate an abscess on the bone. So, they took him in for surgery around 4:00pm to lance and remove the infection.
Praise the LORD! After the surgery, the doctors said that there was a healthy layer of tissue separating the abscess from the bone! So they removed the infection and the bone was fine. From what I understand it was about the size of a ping-pong ball and up against the tendon. They are keeping a close eye on that area right now and if all goes well he should be able to go home on Monday. I am so grateful for all the prayers sent his way! Praise the Lord for His healing hand!

Thanks so much for joining us in covering BIL Scott in prayer! :grouphug3
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Allison

Postby Allison » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:46 am

Hi! I haven't been posting much lately, but I have been lurking a bit.

I would love some prayers for the huge Christmas production at my church. We're less than a week out now, and things are coming together, but there are still a number of rough patches. (I'd say more, but would rather not on a public forum. Fell free to message me for details, if you'd like.) From Saturday, Dec. 7th to Sunday Dec. 15th all of us involved in the production will be going non-stop. We have rehearsals Dec. 7th to the 10th and the performances are the 11th to the 15th.

We are really hoping this will be a huge outreach to the area. We are partnering with the Salvation Army, and a portion of ticket sales will go to them. We are having a number of other activities associated with this, including a soup and salad dinner, and a "history museum" where we'll have all sorts of items from the 1940s prior on display. (The musical takes place in 1947). We are basically turning the entire main floor of our church into a 1940s "town square."

So I may not be on much, starting tomorrow, until Dec. 16th. I think over the next 8 days, I will be away from home more than I'll be at home, and that includes the sleeping hours!

We'd especially love prayers for the health and safety of everyone involved, but especially the main actors and actresses,as we have no understudies. I do not have a main part. Oh, and prayers for energy and stamina would also be greatly appreciated!
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler