To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Edy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Betty, here's what I'm especially enjoying about thanksgiving this year, thanksgiving that began as soon as I learned that:

We get to stay home for Thanksgiving this year! :superhappy

One of the conditions of marriage into the Johnson family is a promise that Thanksgiving is Johnson family property. We've had to go to Iowa every year for the past 20 years (minus a couple where we had a wedding conflict, etc.). It's great to get together, but November weather is always an iffy situation (one year a van full of us nearly skidded off a bridge in a blizzard). Packing enough of everything to sleep in a Bible camp barracks, besides food preparation, is, well, not for these old bones any more--too exhausting.

So, how come we get to sleep in our own beds and only fix food to bring to family gatherings in Minnesota this year? Stay tuned....I gotta get going. :lol:
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Several posts ago a question was asked about Thanksgiving plans, food, etc. This year, Thanksgiving will be...well, different, strange, and difficult...because Carol will never again be with us for the holiday. Christmas will be a challenge as well.

You see, Carol felt a special closeness to Thanksgiving. She was the most caring and giving persons I know - and was always heavily involved with the preparations and the people who attended to insure that all felt welcome.

The reason is that Carol's bloodlines have been traced back to Chief Massasoit (1590-1661), chief of the powerful Wampanoag tribe that inhabited the New England area. He signed a peace treaty with the Pilgrim settlers in Plymouth Colony, Mass. in 1621. Massasoit was instrumental in organizing the first Thanksgiving. Today, the area south of Boston has statues, buildings, roads, and parks named in his honor.

Since Carol was called Home to be with her Savior and Lord eight nonths ago, it is as if a horrific storm devasted my life, and the storm rages on. It feels as if my heart and soul has been ripped apart and shredded, then, blown away like confetti in the wind.

What had been normal for almost 50 years is now gone - never to return. I don't know if anything will ever feel normal again.

This year, instead of doing any cooking as I have done in the past, I will only be providing a warm house, the dishes, the tables, and a welcome mat for guests. Thirteen quests (mostly family) will be bringing the entire meal with them. Oh, I will make a pecan pie and pumpkin pie, but that is all.

It will be difficult not having my bride with us. Even though I cannot touch her, I cannot see her smiling face, and I cannot hear her voice, I know exactly where she is. She is with the Lord, and He is with me, so she cannot be far away. Carol will be near to our hearts and thoughts on Thanksgiving day.

Next Monday evening I will be attending a special support group gathering at my church for those who have lost a loved one during the past year. It will be a time of remembering, hugs, inspitational counseling, and sharing with fellow believers to help all survive the difficult holidays. I believe I will need that.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:49 pm

That is such a blessing, to have found a church that is so supportive, Don. My own Howard shares the experience of having to bid his first wife goodbye, after nearly 30 years of marriage and four children. I can only imagine the heartache that leaves behind for those, like you two, that have had to go through such an irreplaceable separation.

What I like to tell him is that he has things covered whether he lives or dies. He has a nurse (Phyllis) waiting for him to join her, while he has another nurse (me) looking after him in the mean time. I find that rather a comfort, as long as I outlast him. I hope it comforts him, too.

So, why are we staying in Minnesota this year for Thanksgiving? Once upon a time, Howard had three brothers and his parents living in Independence, Iowa. One brother moved to Oklahoma some years ago, and then his step-mother died and his dad came to live with his daughter in MN until he also passed away. So, two brothers left, only one of whom had a son and grandson that hadn't moved away.

This past summer, one of those two brothers moved to Indiana where their children and grandchildren live. They suggested we all come to Indiana for Thanksgiving! :!: Bottom line, Indiana is too far; Iowa has fewer people to transport than Minnesota has (three of our kids, here, with a total of 13+ grandchildren, all of my side of the family - I'll get to see some of them this year! - one former Iowa younger generation family...you get the picture. Iowa family now has the option to come to MN, go to Colorado, or wherever others of their children live, go to Indiana, or etc.

Such a big family (Howard is the eldest of seven) had to branch out sooner or later. I'm so relieved. :lol:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Don, I can't imagine what your holidays will be like this year. I'm so glad you have others to help you over the rough spots, and God who who will hold you tight through it all. We lost my mom the day before Thanksgiving ten years ago this year. None of us were in the mood for Thanksgiving or Christmas the year she passed. Slowly, we have gone back to celebrating, though, realizing that is what she would have wanted.

Edy, I'm with you. Stay home if you have travel far. We don't. Thank goodness for small favors. Enjoy your feast at home!
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:48 pm

Beautiful sunny morning in Minnesota, and I'm up and running, and...whoa! Where are all the sleepy heads? Where's my bugle, anyway. Somebody forgot to sound Reville!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGnZxcS7VKA
That sound is about as dear to my heart as the sound of a rooster crowing at sunrise! Did I ever tell you the story about the rooster waking us up in Brooklyn, New York, years ago?

Well, here's a chuckle to go with your breakfast. Anybody else got something funny to share?

Last edited by Edy on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Oh, good, Betty is up to enjoy the day with me.

Speaking of reville, (spell check keeps trying to change it to "revile!"), I once read that at Churchill's funeral, they played Taps at the close of the service. Then, in the silence following the last note, from the far corner balcony, someone played Reville.

How appropriate! I decided that's what I want for my own funeral, although our pastor says he isn't going to allow me to die. :lol:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Spell check and I were both spelling it wrong! It should be "Reveille" 8)
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:16 pm

I am frustrated today. The cord for my Nook broke so I can't charge it up, and they don't sell that model any more in the stores, had to order one. 3 -5 days without my NOOK!!!! Will I be able to survive?

:violin :violin :violin :seeingstars :seeingstars :seeingstars

I guess I'll just have to dig into my stack of hard backs. I actually love reading the hard backs better, but they are hard for me to hold, arthritis in my hands is a real pain! They weigh so much and my fingers tend to lock up. Sigh, gotta do what ya gotta do!
:book2 :book2 :book2 :book2
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:07 pm

When I was in high school I was frequently asked to play Taps on my trumpet during cemetery services for military veterans.

However, one embarrassing moment comes to mind.

One very cold, snowy day in January became a problem. Taps is played without using the trumpet valves. My fingers were numb from the cold, and must have accidently pushed on one of the valves mid-way through the tune. The valve froze solid halfway down - and that wasn't good.

The first several notes of Taps sounded normal, but the rest of them were played in the worst off-key, screechy, version of Taps ever heard. When finished, I left the scene very quickly. :oops:

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Let's see here...

So far today I did this:

* Finished my weekly grocery list and went shopping.

* Bought a beautiful poinsettia plant for my house.

* Took my new hearing aid back to the company's shop for repairs. It stopped working yesterday, and it's less than a month old. I tend to get upset when pricy things don't work as they should.

* Made a small batch of Toll House peanut butter/chocolate chip cookies - then ate about a third of them.

* Did more work on my drawing for the next wood carving.

* Took a one hour nap after lunch.

All of those things 'bout wore me out!

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Poor Don! :( But, since you're sooooo much younger than I, I'll know who to put on the program to play my funeral Taps and Reveille! :superhappy :thankssign

Carole L - what a bummer! The new technology is great for so many things, but I am grateful I have such a collection of books saved for a rainy day. When my hubby says I'll never get them all read, I tell him, I'm prepared if I'm sick for a year and can't do anything but read.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Ernie Haase and Signature Sound - Happy Rhythm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZmrxJV0fbg

Note: This group is one of my favorite Southern Gospel quartets. They sure have fun doing what they do. Lots of movin' and shakin' goin' on!

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Boy, when you all get in a chatting mode, there's no keeping up with you.

A prayer here for dear Mariane's joint pain
and a prayer for Don's heart to be flooded with comfort at Thanksgiving.

We're hoping to spend Thanksgiving with our son and daughter's families--get to hold those babies! We'll all put our goodies together at our son's house. I've already baked my share! and made the frozen fruit salad--just to add the lima beans! My favorite is dressing with gravy (no giblets, please)--then for dinner that night a turkey sandwich with dressing and cranberry sauce and mayo. Yum.

Back in the day, when I wore shorter (not short-short) skirts, the kids were lined up at my desk with questions about the project they were working on. One eighth grade girl with a LOUD voice said, "Me, Miz Fat Knees, help me." ---slinks away.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:24 pm

Okay, it's time to be truthful about pie...

If you could only have one piece of pie to finish off a Thanksgiving dinner, what kind would you choose as your all-time favorite?

Saying that 2 or 3 kinds are your favorites is not an answer. You must choose only one.

We're talking pie here, not some other kind of dessert. And, forget about calories.

For me it would be a tough choice between Southern pecan, apple (made with lots of sugar and cinnamon), pumpkin (if rich and spicy), and fresh strawberry.

However, warm Southern pecan would be my all-time favorite choice. With some French vanila ice cream or Cool Whip, Southern pecan pie rates a 10 in my book! (By the way, there are some bad pecan pie recipes out there)

What's your choice?

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:20 pm

I would have a hard time choosing between 1. my grandma's lemon meringue pie (I've never been able to quite duplicate the flavor, myself, nor anybody else), 2. very warm apple pie (with my flakey crust) with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese, and 3. warm rhubarb pie with a scoop of genuine natural vanilla ice cream (with eggs in the recipe, like homemade).

If I couldn't have Grandma's lemon pie, my first choice would be the rhubarb. But, since rhubarb isn't usually on the Thanksgiving Day dinner menu, I'd probably have to settle for the apple. 8) Hahaha, gotcha, Don!

Howdy, Verna! I have no doubt you will be having a delightful time with those adorable great grandbabies, to say nothing of the rest of the family.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler