To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

BettyDee
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BettyDee » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Mariane, dear heart, I totally understand what you are saying, and I'm so sorry you have physical problems.

I don't know how many people will come here. I don't think anyone really does. And with our busy lives and other interests, I don't know how often the ones who do will be able to. BUT, despite my long, unexcused absence, I never forgot any of you. I was even able to keep up, to some degree, with the ones who are not on FB because of messages I received or just seeing FB posts. I know I have missed important events in people's lives, but I never missed praying when I saw something of importance.

This reminds me a little of our pastor. He often says if there is even just one person he thinks might want to come and hear a message, he's going to preach it. I hope The Porch is like that. As long as there is one person who wants to come here, I hope it is left open.

I will have days when I can't be here. I am writing a sequel to my first book, and my self discipline sometimes stinks, frankly. I have to limit myself to how much "goofing around" I can do when I'm at the computer. And that's just so ya know. :tongue

Coming back here feels good, though. It's fun and I'm sorry I missed so much. Thank you, Mariane, for opening this porch for all of us. :thankssign
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:18 pm

A few months ago, one of my favorite websites went down, and we thought it might be gone for good. But a couple of fellow members who had the tech chops brought it back, and it's good as new. I say if the person(s) who run a thread or site can no longer do it, then there's no shame in asking for help to keep it going. Pass the torch along, as it were. I check in here along with a few other threads on these boards, and have reply notifications for this thread.

Have you considered looking to see if your computer came with voice command--where you speak into a microphone and it writes what you say? Voice recognition, that's what I meant. If not, you might consider Dragon Naturally Speaking. My netbook came with voice recognition, and someday I might actually use it! :lol: Again, if you need help, use what's available to keep you writing and communicating with everybody. BTW I don't use Facebook--I'm too concerned about security issues.

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:23 pm

Carole L wrote:Several years ago, I was driving to the hospital to visit a friend
As I said, several years ago--I was young enough to wear one of those dangerously short skirts. This was before most cars had air conditioning so the window was down, and.... Yep, a bee flew in. You'll never in a million years guess where it decided to land!
Right on the inside of my thigh! I had no idea I was allergic to bees. So I didn't panic, tho it was very hard to concentrate on driving. Finally was able to pull over and get rid of the bee, but not before it got me.
I continued on to the hospital and was visiting when my leg started swelling, and a bright red streak started running down my leg. A nurse saw it, and I ended up in the ER.

Uff da, Carole! I always heard that infamous red streak meant blood poisoning. :shock: That must have been one nasty bite. How did they treat it? Don'tcha wonder what sort of longterm repercussions we might suffer from some of those toxins from insect bites - who knows? Or, benefits, too, I suppose.

Speaking of dangerously short skirts reminded me of a couple things I saw back in those days that I'm almost too embarrassed to share! The lesser of the two incidents: I'm certain one young gal's skirt was so short that it didn't cover her hinder when she sat down on the city bus. Had she never heard of germs? Yikes (that word is a step up from Uff Da, I guess)!

Which reminds me of a story my grandma told me. Her 80-something brother told her how sorry he felt for a poor young girl he saw on the bus one winter. He said she must have been so poor she couldn't afford to buy a new skirt, but had to wear one she had outgrown. :lol:
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:35 pm

You are all the best! I love you all more than ever! We never want to put pressure on anyone so it has to remain that you come by when you can, if you can.

I want to underline again that I was acting in response to some very direct Emails I received about the Porch. I'm glad to know you who responded to my earlier posting feel better about things and want to continue. We don't have to post long things. Sometimes three or four sentences is all we need to pique our interest and make our day happier. And prayer requests are still important enough to be printed in bold red and even in larger font, if you feel you want to.

I love this place and hope it never closes, too. You all are dearer to me than anyone on the internet and I praise God for sending you to me when I needed it and prayed specifically for it. God did abundantly, above all I could ask or think.

On a humorous note, this one's for Edy, my dear Lutheran friend:

Old Bible
A collector of rare books ran into an old friend who told him he had just thrown away an old Bible that he found in a dusty, old box. He happened to mention that Guten-somebody-or-other had printed it.
"Not Gutenberg?" gasped the collector.

"Yes, that was it!"

"Do you know what you have done? You've thrown away one of the first books ever printed. A copy recently sold at auction for half a million dollars!"

"Oh, I don't think this book would have been worth anywhere close to that," replied his friend. "It was scribbled all over in the margins by some guy named Martin Luther."

"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Note to Deejay - I shouldn't have mentioned that I have some health concerns because that's not at all what prompted me to make that announcement. It doesn't take much energy to post a few sentences on the Porch every day. I don't like to talk about any illness I have because first of all, it's boring to others and second, some think you're up all night writing your eulogy.

I wrote it because I had every reason to believe most of you were stretched too thin with too many demands on your time. I can't very well post the confidential Emails for very obvious reasons.

I'm fine, Deejay. Really, I am. Wait til you reach your annual 49th birthday like I did recently? :superhappy :clap
:heehee :hugkiss

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:48 pm

deejay wrote:A few months ago, one of my favorite websites went down, and we thought it might be gone for good. But a couple of fellow members who had the tech chops brought it back, and it's good as new. I say if the person(s) who run a thread or site can no longer do it, then there's no shame in asking for help to keep it going. Pass the torch along, as it were. I check in here along with a few other threads on these boards, and have reply notifications for this thread.

Have you considered looking to see if your computer came with voice command--where you speak into a microphone and it writes what you say? Voice recognition, that's what I meant. If not, you might consider Dragon Naturally Speaking. My netbook came with voice recognition, and someday I might actually use it! :lol: Again, if you need help, use what's available to keep you writing and communicating with everybody. BTW I don't use Facebook--I'm too concerned about security issues.

DeeJay - so good to see you that I have to quote you and your good suggestions in order to hang onto them.

I also have to share a chuckle. Someone sent me a bunch of "Like Father, like Son" photos. I guess I could search for a link to show them all, but so far haven't done so. But, here's one to whet everyone's appetite. So CUTE, I think. Babies are smarter than ever, nowdays, I guess! :P

The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Oh, dear, I'm afraid somebody pulled his/her finger out of the dike and the dam burst! :P I'm trying to not miss anybody's post, but you-all are posting faster than I can keep up! :seeingstars :heehee :grouphug :grouphug2 :grouphug3 ...so I'll just post some hugs and express my appreciation for this virtual homecoming-family reunion!
:party
Party time - I'll run away and make us some fudge! :coolsign

In case anybody's wondering why I'm not tending to business, I had a deadline for my Salt and Light Report for December, today, so I'm on the computer to notice all the email action from the Porch. You didn't distract me too much, as I did get my report sent, but chores do await, so I may have to bring that fudge for late afternoon coffee. Oh, that's right. You folks prefer sweet tea, but we Minnesota Scandinavians think egg coffee is the only proper accompaniment for sweet desserts. 8)
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:16 pm

I don't remember if I shared this story here before, but if not, here it is:

About 35 years ago we bought a used upright piano for about $50 from a private party. It was old and didn't look great, but it sounded pretty good and was something our kids could use to practice their piano lessons.

We hired a piano moving company to haul it to our house and, then, place it down into our nice finished basement. The piano was so big, and was so heavy, that sliding it down the carpeted stair steps with zero clearance at the stairway ceiling was almost impossible. They finally were successful without any damage, but told us that it could never be removed.

All went well for about 10 years, but then we decided to move into a new house. We couldn't leave the old piano in the basement because the house would never sell with that "elephant" trapped in there. Reasoning that our $50 investment had served us well, I decided to give the piano to our garbage collection service - in many pieces over several weeks.

With my power saw fitted with a carbide blade, I began to cut the piano apart into piece sizes that would fit into garbage cans. I bought many hacksaw blades to cut the heavy and very large metal tuner bar into small pieces. Each week I would carry chunks of the piano up the stairway and place them in the garbage cans for pick-up. It took about ten weeks to finish the job.

Our garbage man hauled away our big upright piano...and never knew it.
:lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:22 pm

BettyDee wrote:
LOVE that story, Don. Like Edy, I didn't know boys were interested in those kinds of things. We had bushes dividing our yard from the neighbors and there was a big hole in them; large enough for me to sit in. I used to take coloring books and paper dolls out there and play for hours, pretending *I* was a fairy and lived there.

THAT must be why you collect birdies with wings (birds also being my favorite of God's creatures next to babies) - closest thing we can find to the fairies! :wink:

BeachGrandma wrote:
Don and Edy, fairies under flowers and violets? How about under cabbage leaves?...

You tell such delightful stories, BeachGrandma. I think I always knew where babies came from, Mom's belly. When my 4th grade friend tried to tell me how those babies got there in the first place, however, I refused to believe such nonsense. "How else do you suppose a lady gets a baby?" she chided me, with a know-it-all tilt of the head.

Thoroughly exasperated, I replied, "Well, God can see when a lady gets married and He just gives them a baby!" Of course! :lol:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:32 pm

BettyDee wrote:
...This reminds me a little of our pastor. He often says if there is even just one person he thinks might want to come and hear a message, he's going to preach it. I hope The Porch is like that. As long as there is one person who wants to come here, I hope it is left open....

I love that, Betty! Thanks so much for all your wonderful commentary here. I'm glad to see you back as much as you're able.

BeachGrandma, I love that Old Bible story! :lol: Some folks just don't appreciate the treasure in vintage collections!

Don, that's another one you should get published. Isn't there a section in Readers' Digest for such a clever punch line as that?
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:20 am

Several years ago a friend of mine and I almost got fried by a lightning bolt. It was one the more scary moments of my life.

Carol and I had gone to a friend's house for dinner. Before dinner the gals were inside the house gabbing, and Bob and I were standing outside on the sidewalk – just a few feet away from my car parked in the driveway. The weather was partly sunny, but there were some threatening storm clouds forming nearby.

Suddenly without any warning a lightning bolt struck the top of my car (only 6-8 feet away from us), and totally enveloped the car with a yellow/orange glow. There was probably a huge noise, but I don't remember hearing it. The concussion shock knocked both Bob and I to the ground.

After we got up and quit shaking, we looked at the car. We found nothing - no burn marks – no nothing. However, absolutely nothing electrical in the car would work – there were no lights, and the car wouldn't start. Since it would cost tens of thousands to replace its entire electrical system, the car was totally trashed. It was only 1 1/2 years old with only 10,000 miles on it.

My friend and I were only a few feet away from having a couple of million volts hit the top of our heads. :shock:

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:30 am

"Twas the month before Christmas"

Twas the month before Christmas
When all through our land,
Not a Christian was praying
Nor taking a stand.

Why the PC Police had taken away
The reason for Christmas - no one could say.
The children were told by their schools not to sing
About Shepherds and Wise Men and Angels and things.

It might hurt people's feelings, the teachers would say
December 25th is just a 'Holiday'.
Yet the shoppers were ready with cash, checks and credit
Pushing folks down to the floor just to get it!

CDs from Madonna, an X BOX, an I-Pod
Something was changing, something quite odd!
Retailers promoted Ramadan and Kwanzaa
In hopes to sell books by Franken & Fonda.

As Targets were hanging their trees upside down
At Lowe's the word Christmas was nowhere to be found.
At K-Mart and Staples and Penney's and Sears
You won't hear the word Christmas; it won't touch your ears.

Inclusive, sensitive, Di-ver-si-ty
Are words that were used to intimidate me.
Now Daschle, Now Darden, Now Sharpton, Wolf Blitzen
On Boxer, on Rather, on Kerry, on Clinton!

At the top of the Senate, there arose such a clatter
To eliminate Jesus, in all public matter.
And we spoke not a word, as they took away our faith
Forbidden to speak of salvation and grace

The true Gift of Christmas was exchanged and discarded
The reason for the season, stopped before it started.
So as you celebrate 'Winter Break' under your 'Dream Tree'
Sipping your Starbucks, listen to me.

Choose your words carefully,
choose what you say
Shout MERRY CHRISTMAS,
not Happy Holiday!

Please, all Christians join together and wish everyone you meet
a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Christ is The Reason for the Christ-mas Season!

(Author unknown)

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:34 am

Great posts today, everyone! I LOVE the stories, the witticisms (sp?), the memories, the things that make us giggle. But here's one that will make your jaw drop all the way to the floor and stay there!
I promise you! And if it doesn't, I'll give you double your money back just for looking and throw in a new stove for good measure!

http://www.viralnova.com/tree-trunk-car ... ign=aweber

Don, our master carver, I KNOW YOU CAN DO ONE OF THESE. I know where there's a tree just begging to be carved on!

Hugs and kisses to go around
!

:grouphug3 :hugs3 :hugkiss :hugs2 :handshake :heehee :razzberry :razzberry

Mariane Holbrook

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Wow, like Edy, I see almost too many posts here to reply to each one. I've enjoyed the stories, the links, and the poems, though.

Mariane, that wood carving is stunning! How in the world does he do that?

Does anyone have any special plans for Thanksgiving? Since we are from diverse places, I thought it might be fun to say what your favorite traditional dish is. Do you call *that* side dish dressing or stuffing? What kind do you make? Here in Texas, it's cornbread dressing. Yum, yum! I think my favorite thing is a cranberry salad with marshmallows, bananas, nuts. SO good!

We pretty much have traditional stuff; turkey, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce, etc. We are having two dinners this year; one with Don's niece and one with my daughter. My daughter's is the big day, the other the Saturday following Thanksgiving.

Anyone else want to share?
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Yikes, Don, what an experience! You have wonderful powers of description in your writing. I could see it like a video in my head.

BeachGrandma, I just spent about 20 minutes looking at the link you sent (including all the side-bar stories). :P I marvel at the Chinese artists and their ability to carve like that. When I took R&R from Vietnam in Hong Kong, I got to see miniature (I can't spell, today; is that right?) jade and wood carvings similar to that tree carving. How they can take a piece of wood or stone and know just where to begin to cut boggles my mind.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler