To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Verna
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Verna » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:21 am

Don, I think you have done remarkably well with God's help and your strong faith and character. Hope the second storm passed by without damage to you or your property.

Edy, I would tell you a bit about my memory, but I've forgotten what I was going to say! :D I was trying to remember if I told you on the porch several weeks ago about giving a reading from my book of poems at a retirement center. . . .Anyway, there were about 20 folks in wheelchairs and on walkers gathered round in the parlor, and someone came through to say they'd have ice cream soon. That's when I lost the attention of about half of them. Who could compete with ice cream! Of the ones who had been awake at the beginning, one with the brightest eyes went to sleep after 15 minutes, and I knew the 30 minutes I had prepared were 15 minutes too many, and I adjusted accordingly. While I was reading a poem about being a teacher, one lady turned to another who was talking and shushed her. I recognized a kindred spirit!

Chrissy, The first book was Don't Frighten the Pansies. It is on Amazon in print and Kindle and in print at Barnes & Noble and (according to Google) many other places, including Singapore. I'm not planning to put the next one on Kindle because I did not get my money back from that, and some have told me they like to keep the book on their nightstands and read a poem before they go to sleep. I guess i'm providing their sleeping pill!

Mariane, I think your stories about your parents are priceless. I love your description of your dad on Lisa Mikitarian's blog entry about that wonderful"servant" Christian.

Rain again today. I'm sure we must have the greenest city in America!

Hugs to all.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Today is one of those beautiful days in Minneapolis that remind me of childhood summer vacations at my grandparents' home: bright blue skies, sun shining through the leaves, and cool breezes. Let's see, I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of such perfect days we've had so far this summer! :P

Last evening's rain cleared our Neighborhood Night Out gathering so fast, I couldn't believe it. We returned from supper with my nephew's family (on the calendar before we learned about the NNO) to show our faces about the time the half-blue, half-dark sky began to sprinkle. I excused myself to go back to the house for an umbrella and a visit to Mrs. Jones. In just those few minutes, the sky opened up. I headed out with the umbrella to retrieve my Howard and saw all the tables, chairs and food totally vanished. Amazing how fast folks can move when necessary!

I'm still chuckling over Chrissy's reaction to my "defrag" post. Isn't it delightful how much we've discovered about our own brain because of today's technology with computer memory?

We certainly are fearfully and wonderfully made, thanks be to God! :superhappy (Or, as the Johnson family likes to joke: it must have taken millions of years for that to evolve! Not!) :tongue
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:12 pm

Verna wrote:
Chrissy, The first book was Don't Frighten the Pansies. It is on Amazon in print and Kindle and in print at Barnes & Noble and (according to Google) many other places, including Singapore. I'm not planning to put the next one on Kindle because I did not get my money back from that, and some have told me they like to keep the book on their nightstands and read a poem before they go to sleep. I guess i'm providing their sleeping pill!

Hugs to all.

Well, I prefer books I can feel, physically feel the paper as I turn a page. With my fibromyalgia these days I get enough pain in my finger tip pads when the mouse needs a new battery and I have to use the keyboard pad. And yes, I heard it's hard to get even enough to recoup your money back. Besides, what's nicer than seeing a whole shelf of REAL books that you can choose to read or re-read at a glance. They look good too.

Norm has an account at Barnes and Noble. I'll see if they have a copy. Thanks.

Riverside Peace

PS I'll take one of those free hugs though. ;)

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:36 am

:) :)

I just emailed off the final draft and book cover for my mum's poetry book for publishing.

:superhappy It's finally completed. My Dad is extremely happy and can't wait to receive the first copy.

Okay...now where was I up to with my next book? Ah yes; chapter 8.

Later.....

RiversidePeace

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:54 am

Oh...Verna, I almost forgot. Hubby ordered 'Don't Frighten the Pansies' book for me. He ordered it through fishpond.com.au and got free postage. :)

RiversidePeace

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:49 am

Did any of you have a special song or songs that you and the love of your life enjoyed together as "our song" during the early years?

Carol and I certainly did, and here are two of them for you. Enjoy!

"September Morn" by Neil Diamond
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFWulLWyF-w

"We've Only Just Begun" by The Carpenters"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNPAM5ABhvs

Another favorite:
"Unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUJCvKomS-c

I recall slow dancing to that music as if it were happening yesterday...

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:19 pm

THE EVERLY BROS - LET IT BE ME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhQceK0Y6E
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks, Chrissy! I finished my manuscript today--felt so good!

Edy, Loved your reminiscing about early fall.

Don, "Our song" was "Till." I love those oldies. When I get my red velvet pancakes at our favorite IHOP on Thursday mornings, they're playing 60's songs--We love them. We could never get enough of Ray Charles and "I Can't Stop Loving You" and oh so many more!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:11 pm

I made a supper for myself tonight that I would kill for. Well, maybe not that, but almost.

My meal consisted of BLT's and bi-color corn-on-the-cob. I wait all year for locally grown tomatoes, sweet corn, and more. I love those fresh veggies!

The tomatoes and corn were bought at a local veggie stand that I visit often each summer. I know the owners there. On the way home I stopped at the grocery store for some bacon and lettuce.

The tomatoes were beautiful and juicy...the corn was sweet and tender...and I cooked the bacon to a perfect crispness.

Oh...did I mention the strawberries, strawberry glaze, Graham cracker pie crust, and Cool Whip also bought at the store? Just had to have a nice piece of fresh strawberry pie for dessert, ya know.

Yummers!!!

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:49 am

A friend sent this to me. I had no idea this kind of thing goes on in the western U.S. This one is dated 2013. After you view it, there are several more boxes you can click on to see similar floods.

Up close and personal view of a wash in Utah. Notice the large boulder that was being pushed along. For those of you who don't understand the BIG, DRY "rivers" in the Southwest and West and the cautions associated with them, watch this!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/_yCnQuILmsM

(singing):
"Cover me, Lord, with Your presence,
Cover me, Lord, with Your righteousness,
Cover me, Lord, with Your holiness,
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Those flood chasers are crazy! It's interesting how the debris gets pushed to the side by the water, almost forming a sand-bagging of sorts to keep the water moving ahead instead of running in all directions.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Allison

Postby Allison » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:34 pm

Floods? I remember "The Great Flood of 1993." I believe you might still be able to see the high water mark on the steps leading up to the gateway arch, but they may have redone the steps since then too. I really don't know. :lol: But there are still some crazy high water marks in St. Louis from that flood, even if the one from the arch steps is gone.

Here are a couple of pictures from St. Charles, closer to where I actually live.
To put things in perspective for you, though the "normal" picture is of a different building, it's in the same park a few hundred feet away, and is actually ever so slightly closer to the river than the building in the "flood" picture.

Normal:

During the flood:

Wednesday night, I went to the St. Louis Cardinals game, and while the game itself was horrible (we lost 13-4 and the Dodgers got 6 runs in one inning...) I had the amazing opportunity to hear my friends sing the National Anthem before the game. They were AMAZING, and I promise I am NOT just saying that because I know them. I have a link to the video... I just put the audio to pictures I've taken of flags on "Art Hill" in St. Louis to commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and the Veterans Memorial in St. Peters, MO (my home town) because the video is me not aiming well nor holding it still ,so it's random crowd shots, concrete, and a few seconds of part of the video board... Didn't think anyone really wanted to see that, plus it's liable to make you sea sick. :) Oh, and I feel I should warn you that pretty much the only thing you can hear at the beginning and end is me (and the rest of my section... but mostly me :) ) cheering/screaming. :D

The group singing is a group of five siblings, all of who have grown up in my church, and I've gotten to know them and their family very well. Their mom is the one I mentioned who had hip replacement about a month ago. It was going to be "double" but they couldn't do what they thought they were going to be able to do, and instead of just removing the "liner" of the cups (because there WASN'T any liner like they thought) they had to remove the whole cup and the bone around the cup. SO now she can't even put any weight on that leg. I feel so bad for her, because now she'll have to go through all of the AGAIN in a few months. *sigh*

Anyway, here is the link to the video, if you'd like to watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuRgHUaE ... e=youtu.be
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks for the link, Allison. I love rich harmony! :thumbs
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:56 am

That's hard enough to sing as a solo (I've heard), so I imagine it's a killer to try to sing in harmony like that. I thought you might turn your camera on yourself, Allison, so we could hear you screaming. :lol:

I have conjunctivitis (or however you spell it). Anybody have any home remedies for it? The only eye doctor around charges the proverbial arm and leg and he likes to make you wait in his waiting room for 2 or 3 hours which wears me out, so if you have a simple solution I can make to dab on my eyelid, let me know. It's a very light case so it's not uncomfortable yet. Someone told me she uses a Q-tip dipped in a teeny-tiny amount of peroxide to get rid of it.

On to bed. Night everyone.
(singing):
"Cover me, Lord, with Your presence,
Cover me, Lord, with Your righteousness,
Cover me, Lord, with Your holiness,
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:15 am

Mariane, I keep a bottle of contact lens sterile saline solution (if it's safe for contact lenses, I figure I can use it as an eye wash) on hand for just such a need. Also good to have available for flushing an eye in an emergency. Your family should be able to find a 12 ounce bottle at Wal-Mart, or whatever store is handy, for a couple dollars or less.

When we were kids, our folks had an old fashioned glass eye cup, and mom mixed up a solution of boric acid for us to blink an eye into. I don't know the recipe, but I'm sure she had to first boil water with whatever amount of the b.a. powder to dissolve in and then cool it to use. I'm guessing if any b.a. settled out of the cooled solution, more water would have been needed.

Hope you feel better fast!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler