To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:35 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:

Don, someone sent me a craft idea for my grandsons which I'd like to see them do. It involves melting colored plastic beads in a pie pan in the oven for a few minutes, with the result being a colorful sun catcher or even as small coasters for drinks, etc. Two questions, though, the first of which you likely don't know but perhaps someone else does: where can I purchase a big supply of colored, plastic beads, and second, is there any health risk in melting plastic like this and possibly inhaling something I wouldn't want the boys to inhale.

Omigoodness, a friend just sent me this link. I laughed until I almost choked to death. Be sure you're sitting down when you listen. Hysterical! http://zanylol.com/accident.html

Hmmm...I wouldn't recommend buying a big supply of beads until you prove that the idea actually produces the desired effect. Different plastics have different melting points, and a baking oven might not get hot enough to melt some of them.

Do you want them to flow and stick together? They also might stick to the pan making it impossible to remove without breaking them.

Stay away from the fumes given off from melting plastics. They are likely to be very toxic. Beads are cheap, and probably made from various recycled materials. Who knows what chemicals are in the plastic resin. Also, it's possible the melting plastic could ignite in the oven.

My guess is that you would end up with a melted glob that wouldn't look very good. However, if you wanted to try it, plastic beads can probably be found in a craft or stitchery store.

By the way, that link is hilarious! Side note: I never heard of a NVI Bible version.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:42 pm

I wrote this earlier today. It is a true story.

Don

I have been very stressed out for such a long time. Sometimes I can’t even believe the things I do or think about. I don’t often share much with anyone, and besides, I think I do a pretty good job of hiding the stress from others. Also, few care enough to listen.

But when I have shared, I often hear laughter and comments like, “Oh, that’s dumb” or “Just chill out” or “What do you have to be stressed about?” or “Get a grip” or “Get a good night’s sleep and you’ll be fine” or “Loosen up and get a life.” They just don’t seem to understand.

What happened this morning is one example of stress showing its ugly face. I got up this morning and went into the kitchen for a fresh glass of water. After that, I went into the adjoining family room to turn on the TV, then, quickly walked back to the kitchen. Suddenly I was startled to hear the muffled voice of a man talking. Because I have been totally deaf in one ear for over 60 years, I have no directional hearing. I couldn’t tell where the strange voice was coming from, but knew it was nearby.

Panic thoughts quickly raced through my head, “SOMEONE IS IN MY HOUSE!!! WHAT IS HE DOING HERE! HOW DID HE GET IN? HOW LONG HAS HE BEEN HERE? OH, LORD, WHAT DOES HE WANT? WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?”

I actually began to fear for my life. My heart was pounding wildly. A hot feeling swept over me. I suddenly felt weak and helpless. My eyes lost focus. I thought I was having a heart attack. I began to shake, and needed to set my water glass down before it spilled.

Was I going crazy too? Then, tears began to flow when I realized the man’s voice was coming from the TV.

With faltering words I began to pray - ”Oh God, You know my thoughts and my fears. Wrap Your arms around me and hold me tight. Please take my hand and never let go. Keep me close to You that I might follow in Your footsteps. Lead me safely through the storms in my life that seem to overwhelm me. Thank You, Lord Jesus - my life is in Your hands. Amen!”
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

That is a good piece of writing, Don, although I'm sorry for your distress. Have you entered the faithwriter testimony "contest?" Perhaps it is finished, already. But, what you just wrote is a perfect size for a devotional, I should think, and has the treasure of a close walk with Jesus message.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:54 pm

Edy's right,Don. It's well written and could be just what some reader who's very vulnerable right now really needs.

I don't know why this video troubles me. The dog is hesitant, not excited to see her owner, almost like she's afraid she'll be hit. I would love to know the history of the dog's life in this man's home before she disappeared. I so hope she'll be able to forget the 7 months scrounging for food, lost, confused and perhaps mistreated and if there is something that frightens her about her owner, I hope she forgets that, too, and has a wonderful life with people who love her. I so hope I'm wrong about this. She's such a beautiful, sensitive dog. I wish we could have a follow-up on this story. Tell me what you think, will you?

http://www.wimp.com/lostdog/
"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Checking by again.

Don, you have just gone through the trauma of losing your dearest one after the years of trauma fueled by love that you took care of her. You'd be surprised how many of us have similar feelings sometimes. Perhaps your story is meant for someone who needs it.

Mariane --first about the man and the dog. I did see the dog reach out to him once with his paw. The other thing I thought about was maybe they were just using actors to tell a story???
About my book. The first one was my "heritage" book for my family--hence the pictures. The second has very similar type poems--but without pictures on the division pages or family photos at the end. And here's another big difference. I was so excited about the first one, I was way too inclined to give it away. This time, I'm thinking that if people got encouragement or reading pleasure out of the first one, they'll buy the second. I've had some who have told me they would. I don't feel under as much pressure either to try to sell it. I'll let friends know it's available. AND, I'm not putting as much money in it from the start. I wrote it, hoping for it to be a blessing. In other words, I THINK I won't "sweat" this one so much. The title is Somewhere Beyond the Blue.
As to crafts, I'd be the last person in the world you'd ask about "constructing anything with materials other than for them to write a little book (stories they make up or remember, pictures, even photos, jokes,etc. and make a little cover for it-- for maybe their dad's birthday. Also, this would be a keepsake for them to remember living with you and John.

The weatherman said "no rain." So, of course, it's rained all day.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:43 pm

The dog does seem quite apprehensive, I agree. Could there be an association with the fireworks that originally scared the dog into running away? My niece has a very scaredy-cat dog that is so terrified of the sound of fireworks that Sarah posted warnings on facebook about protecting dogs as much as possible. All the comment suggestions Sarah had already tried, but her dog can still sense the noise and react accordingly.

Then we don't know what the terrified dog had to endure during the time he was missing. Memories of his searching owners could have been buried under a lot of trauma that needs to be forgotten. Let's hope his broken spirit can be well mended and his home is the haven he needs!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Pam sent me a message on Facebook saying the people who were giving instructions in making the sun catchers had withdrawn the project, saying it had potential health hazards or something. That's a relief. Now I can look for some other projects, Verna. The boys are so creative. Charles is unusually artistic for a 2nd grader and is always making "books" with stories and pictures. He even wrote a script for a movie and did the animation to accompany it. Unbelievably good! I let them use my paints and old brushes and they've painted a few wooden eggs, too.

Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Edy, did you ever receive the book I mailed you with one of my stories in it? I seem to remember sending it but am not sure.

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:58 pm

That being said, Mariane, Verna's thought that the video could be actors meshes with my own concern over the plug at the end about microchips. (It's one thing for pets, but I've recently run across ads pushing it for people, putting pressure on parents to use it for their children - and some parents standing in line with little ones, ready to jump on the band wagon.) It could all be another sales pitch.

Maybe it's perfectly innocent and harmless, but the more I read about all this "new world order" technology (and population-control elites' ideas/agenda), the more paranoid I'm becoming!

Third try at posting! Yes, Mariane, book received. My memory won't swear that I sent you a thank you, for sure. I think I did, but if not, I know I intended to - does that count?
:P
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:43 pm

I think that dog was suffering the after effects of seven months in survival mode, and had become suspicious of everything and everyone. I also believe the situation could have been a set-up to promote chipping.

If my dog hasn't seen someone for a couple of months who had been a past "good friend" to her, she is initially slow to warm up to the person. A treat usually solves the problem. By the way, my Betsy has been chipped.

No, Edy, I did not enter the FaithWriter testimony contest. I had read about it, but these past five months have been...well, something that only those who have gone a similar experience could fully understand. Focusing on anything has been difficult to say the least.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:41 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:Edy, did you ever receive the book I mailed you with one of my stories in it? I seem to remember sending it but am not sure.

Well, I did just now look through my email "sent" folder, way back to May, but didn't find anything. As I recall, since you went to the work of mailing me the book, that my intent was to send you a regular post thank you. Once upon a time, I used to keep a record of all my outgoing mail, to refresh my memory. Now, I have so much overflowing my desk that I don't bother to keep records. Isn't that a hoot, when trying to remember things now is so much more unreliable? :mrgreen:

Just so you know, dear BeachGrandma, I definitely appreciate your story and your sending the book. Now, my memory is jogged that I did write, because I commented on the story - but don't ask me, now, what I might have written! Oh joy! The fun of a fragmented memory - too bad I don't know how to "defrag," like we do our computer memory!

:thankssign - I appreciate you!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Verna wrote:Now working on my second book of poetry, hopefully to come out in early fall. I've been omitting and adding and rearranging. Fun to work on my own stuff!!

Okay. Now I feel out of it. Where can I buy the 1st book?

RiversidePeace

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:54 pm

Edy wrote: - Oh joy! The fun of a fragmented memory - too bad I don't know how to "defrag," like we do our computer memory!

:rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling

:sorry

I couldn't resist. NOW I know I'm NOT the only one. :lol:

Oh yeah...That's why we're retiring... :roll: :roll:

RiversidePeace

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:45 pm

I couldn't resist. NOW I know I'm NOT the only one. :lol:

At least we talk about our increasing short-comings, so we can bear one another's burdens. My poor folks didn't share what bothered them, leaving us to guess what might be going awry. When my mom had an obvious stroke, in her last year of this life, the scan they did showed that she had evidence of two previous, though not so obvious, strokes. I cried for a whole day, recalling how I had tried to help her maintain her independence as much as possible, and wondered why it wasn't working very well.

Communication is a good thing, even when the topic isn't so much. :wink:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:38 pm

A big time storm ripped down my street a little over an hour ago bringing tree-bending wind, golf ball size hail, heavy rain, and lots of crashing thunder. It was all over within 15 minutes.

The hail stones covered my deck and driveway. The next suburb beyond mine has police cars with broken windows from the hail. It's the same storm that passed through here.

Round #2 (2nd storm) will hit very soon.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler