To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby RiversidePeace » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Verna wrote:Welcome Riverside Peace,
Did I see you hail from the UK?

My books sell well in the UK but you need to look much farther south, south of the equator actually. I hope that doesn't unwelcome me here. ;)

Deejay and Alison welcomed me privately days ago. :)

Your writing has galloped in to a real beauty, Verna. I still enjoy reading your work.

Riverside Peace

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Edy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:33 pm

RiversidePeace wrote:Take a closer look, dear friend. I'm not as new as you think but I am older and wiser. I have learned something while on sabbatical and that is I cannot forget those who mean more to me than I thought AND that they might know.

Riverside Peace

After I posted I did notice a familiar name at the bottom of your entry and I had to wonder: Is this our own Chrissy, but incognito? (then I better not "blow your cover!"), or is this Chrissy's daughter (promoting her mom's books)? Hmmm! What a treat either way! :lol: Hugs to you, my dear!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:03 pm

I had a most welcome, although unexpected, visitor on Saturday. I did not know that Carol's niece had planned to drive to Mpls. from Kansas on Friday to attend her 40th High School Class reunion on Friday evening. It was a surprise to see her at my front door on Saturday morning.

Lori had driven here five months ago for Carol's memorial service, too. You see, Lori's parents (Carol's brother) had passed away many years ago and, ever since then, she considered Carol and me as her second parents. Over the years the three of us had some great times traveling, boating, conversing, and just sharing together. Also, Lori had suddenly lost her husband about twenty years ago, and was in need of a stable support in her life. Carol and I were always there for her.

She simply stopped by on Saturday to see how I was coping with Carol's death, and ended up staying for several hours. We had a great time laughing, crying, talking of old times, re-living moments with Carol, and sharing good memories of family. Oh, how I needed that!

It’s interesting that during the past five months, very few people have bothered to ask me how I was/am doing. The neighbors?...only one out of eight. Our friends?...only three out of a small hand-full. The family?...only five out of many. My new-found friends at my new church?...many of them have asked. Most of the others who showed any interest only expressed a “Hi, how are you” greeting, and were not able or willing to “talk”.

I think I’m doing okay, and don’t need to be “mothered” to death. But on the other hand, it would be comforting to know that those people mentioned truly cared.

Yesterday Lori showed her caring heart at a time when I needed it. She was always precious to Carol and me. Lori went back to Kansas today.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Don, that is such a blessing for you to have someone so close to share with you from your memories. God is good!

While I'm on board, I will share some prayer requests, not so urgent, but all prayer support is so greatly appreciated, and felt!

Asking prayer:
1. for our grandson Zach Peterson leaving Sunday 4 August for a short-term mission to Thailand; for all provisions to be met, including safety coming and going;
2. for my brother Phil and his wife Judy to find the new apartment they need by the end of August, in the right location;
3. for relief, peace and joy to overflow for their daughter Sarah, who is exhausted with her job plus helping her parents with health and housing needs. Thank you all so much!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Allison

Postby Allison » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:34 pm

If any of you want to see photos and videos of the musical, see this topic...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37297
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Allison, we must have posted at the same time cuz mine got deleted. :D

Anyway, I'm too sleepy to retype it all again but I did welcome Chrissy, and promised to pray for Zach and Edy's brother's housing needs.

I'll come back on the porch tomorrow.................ZzZZZZZ :)
Mariane Holbrook

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:46 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:Allison, we must have posted at the same time cuz mine got deleted. :D

Anyway, I'm too sleepy to retype it all again but I did welcome Chrissy, and promised to pray for Zach and Edy's brother's housing needs.

I'll come back on the porch tomorrow.................ZzZZZZZ :)

And so glad I came back. :)

Chrissy

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:45 pm

Our Merry Heart Medicine for today - just don't take it seriously! :oops:

"SIMPLE HOME REMEDIES THAT WORK!!

1. To avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables, get someone else to hold the vegetables while you chop.
2. To avoid arguments with women about lifting the toilet seat-use the sink.
3. For high blood pressure sufferers - simply cut yourself and bleed for a few minutes, thus reducing the pressure on your veins. [remember to use a timer.]
4. A mouse trap placed on top of your alarm clock will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
5. If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives - you'll be afraid to cough.
6. You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
7. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem."
— feeling amused.

:superhappy
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Edy, now THAT's FUNNY !!

But this will make you shake your head in disgust. A friend sent it to me:

At approximately 2:30 pm, September 6, I entered the Publix store on Main St. in Gainesville FL to pick up a few items. I gathered my items and went to the 14 and under register to check-out. The person in front of me (a white female, approximate age 35-43, fake nails, big braided hair do, clean clothes, carrying a purse and a plastic drinking cup) put her purchase on the check out surface: ONE GRAPE.

Yes, that is correct ONE GRAPE. The cashier asked if that was all, she replied yes. The cashier then weighed the GRAPE and told the women the cost was $.02 (TWO CENTS). The women then pulled out her Food Stamp EBT card and swiped it through the credit card machine, requesting $24.00 in cash back. The cashier asked if she wanted the GRAPE, the woman replied no and the GRAPE was put in the garbage can. The register recorded the sale as .02, cash back $24.00. The cashier then asked if two fives would be okay because was out of tens, the woman agreed and took the $24.00 folded it up and put it in her pocket and left the store.

As the next person in line, I asked the cashier as a tax payer, what had just happened here. She said she was on the clock and could not comment. I then asked if I had actually seen this person purchase and discard a GRAPE, then get cash back on her Food Stamp EBT card. The cashier responded that it happens all day every day in their store. She also said that if the person buying the GRAPE has it ring up over .02 they get mad and make her reweigh it.

I paid for my groceries, in cash, and left the store madder than 10 wet hens.

:fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :pirate2 :pirate2 :pirate2 :pirate2 :cop :cop :cop :cop :cop :cop :cop
Mariane Holbrook

Allison

Postby Allison » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:39 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:Edy, now THAT's FUNNY !!

But this will make you shake your head in disgust. A friend sent it to me:

At approximately 2:30 pm, September 6, I entered the Publix store on Main St. in Gainesville FL to pick up a few items. I gathered my items and went to the 14 and under register to check-out. The person in front of me (a white female, approximate age 35-43, fake nails, big braided hair do, clean clothes, carrying a purse and a plastic drinking cup) put her purchase on the check out surface: ONE GRAPE.

Yes, that is correct ONE GRAPE. The cashier asked if that was all, she replied yes. The cashier then weighed the GRAPE and told the women the cost was $.02 (TWO CENTS). The women then pulled out her Food Stamp EBT card and swiped it through the credit card machine, requesting $24.00 in cash back. The cashier asked if she wanted the GRAPE, the woman replied no and the GRAPE was put in the garbage can. The register recorded the sale as .02, cash back $24.00. The cashier then asked if two fives would be okay because was out of tens, the woman agreed and took the $24.00 folded it up and put it in her pocket and left the store.

As the next person in line, I asked the cashier as a tax payer, what had just happened here. She said she was on the clock and could not comment. I then asked if I had actually seen this person purchase and discard a GRAPE, then get cash back on her Food Stamp EBT card. The cashier responded that it happens all day every day in their store. She also said that if the person buying the GRAPE has it ring up over .02 they get mad and make her reweigh it.

I paid for my groceries, in cash, and left the store madder than 10 wet hens.

:fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :pirate2 :pirate2 :pirate2 :pirate2 :cop :cop :cop :cop :cop :cop :cop

Eh... not true. At least the point its trying to make isn't true. to summarize, if it's ONLY "food stamps" you can't get cash from it. There are other government cash benefits that come on the same card, but that can be used at any ATM to get the cash.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:07 am

Hey Chrissy--Too bad I didn't read ALL the details at the end. Welcome back.

Don, You know your porch friends care about you and pray for you, but it's awfully nice to get some com fort from loved one and "real" people who can hug you. I'm so glad your niece came to see you.

Made me smile, Edy!

Mariane, I love the story that my mom tells about rations after the 2nd World War. She said that she there was a woman in front of her in the grocery line that said, "What do you mean I have to have stamps for beans. Everybody's got to have beans!"

Hope you all have a lovely day.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:27 am

Good morning, Merry Hearts! Here's a spot of "medicine" for today...

You probably have seen these before but they are so funny!
4. During a patient's two week follow-up
appointment with his cardiologist, he informed
me, his doctor, that he was having trouble with
one of his medications.
'Which one?' . . . I asked.
'The patch...The Nurse told me to put on a new one every six hours
and now I'm running out of places to put it!'
I had him quickly undress and discovered what I hoped I wouldn't see.
Yes, the man had over fifty patches on his body!
Now, the instructions include removal of the old patch
before applying a new one.

Submitted by Dr. Rebecca St. Clair,
Norfolk, VA

6. I was performing rounds at the hospital one morning
and while checking up on a man I asked . . .
"So how's your breakfast this morning?"
"It's very good except for the Kentucky Jelly.
I can't seem to get used to the taste," Bob replied.
I then asked to see the jelly and Bob produced
a foil packet labeled 'KY Jelly.'

Submitted by Dr. Leonard Kransdorf,
Detroit

There's more, but I don't dare share since they might be too risqué for folks outside the health care professions. :P :sorry A couple of them were even submitted anonymously, they're so bad, but funny. :mrgreen:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Rant time!!!

Today I received the quarterly news publication for my city. I am most upset!

Among other things, the booklet paints a rosy picture of employment, quality of life, new construction, city improvements, population growth, and more. New city projects are also presented.

They are planning to purchase and tear down an existing business (eminent domain?), and replace it with a new 8,000 sq. ft. building that will house three retail stores. No problem? Read on...

The existing business is located only five minutes from my house, and also does well selling live bait on the side for area fishermen. That is very bad news for someone who lives on my city lake with a dock and boat, and who enjoys fishing...as I do.

Now, instead of my ten minute round trip for live bait, I will need to drive 30-40 miles round trip for bait so I can fish in my lake. The bait will likely die of old age before I can get them home.

Over the past few years the city has forced two other bait shops to close their doors so larger buildings could be constructed in their place. What do they think we do in our land of 10,000 lakes? Just float around in $75,000 yachts?

They keep attempting to "upgrade" the city, and of course, increase the taxes collected.

The soon-to-be-replaced existing business currently pays $17,000 in property taxes. The three retail tenants in the new building will pay $43,000. That's a rather nice windfall for the city that will probably either re-carpet the mayor's corner office, or beef up his music system.

Yeah, it's all about a nice money grab for the city, and a bunch of yuppie city planners who couldn't care less about common folk who enjoy fishing. By the way, I pay a boat load of taxes living in my cottage on the lake. I wonder what they do with that money?

Meanwhile...my live bait source will soon be gone!

Rant over...

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:01 pm

Don, please submit your eloquent letter to the editors of local, metro area and state news outlets, perhaps even the I-team and other television news programs so they can investigate the situation. You do paint a logical and highly suspicious situation where the power people think they can do just what they please, the will of the people notwithstanding.

I would "rant," too. This almost makes my blood boil. :-x
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:09 pm

If I did that, the power people would probably "disappear" me!

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler