To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:21 am

Sounds wonderful, Joanney. I love the strawberry shortcake recipe on the Bisquick box; it's something my mother made when we were kids. After picking strawberries all day so she could make lots of jam (this was before freezer days), she'd bake those shortcakes and put a HUGE bowl of strawberries which had been capped and washed several times in the center of the dining room table. That was the one meal in the entire year that we had only dessert for our meal. We could have as many Biscuits and as many strawberries as we wanted, but we could only have one biscuit at a time so we wouldn't waste any. (Our appetites were always bigger than our tummies.) It was such a fun time and we did it every year. Even after we were all grown up and had our own homes, we still carried on the tradition.

I love strawberry season and used to pick them in the fields in a neighboring county where we live now until I picked up a snake along with a handful of strawberries. Now I'm happy to let others pick them and I'll buy them.

Love you guys. Carol, I miss you, sweetie.
Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:46 am

OH. MY. GOODNESS.

Did you ever see anything as macabre as this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MORGUE-REFRIGER ... 0647365041

:sofa :sofa :sofa :sofa :sofa :sofa :sofa :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :eyes :eyes :eyes :eyes :eyes :eyes :eyes :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mariane Holbrook

dub

Postby dub » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:58 am

Morning everyone ... supposed to rain off and on for the next two weeks, I think I saw two days of sunshine on the weather map (out of ten). Top up on jeep. No excuse for not working on WIP. Y'all have a great day celebrating the Risen Christ.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:30 am

Let's see here...

By 8:00am this morning I had picked rhubarb...cleaned it...cut it up...bagged it...and put it into the freezer. There were (3) three-cup bags total.

After adding some fresh strawberries, I'll first make a strawberry/rhubarb sauce - yumm!...then later, I'll make a strawberry/rhubarb crisp - yumm!...and finally, a strawberry/rhubarb pie - yumm! Is anyone drooling yet?

However, I first must force myself to eat the last two pieces of the strawberry pie I made on Friday since nobody showed up at my house from here to claim a nice piece of pie that was available to the first seven porchers in the from of an invitation posted at 11:48am CDT on Friday, May 31, causing me to conclude that no one except me likes fresh strawberry pie. :lol:

I know I have told it here before, but there is a great story behind the origin of my generations-old rhubarb plants. If anyone cares to hear it, I'll dig it up again.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:23 am

Let's hear it for Mariane walking on her hands--hope you heal up soon, dear Friend.

Dub, I share your rain. :)

Joanney, I'm so glad you had a good week-end--hope you have many more.

Thanks for the pie recipe, Don--sounds good--now for your rhubarb story.

Edy, I never heard of a barn wedding. In the South we have a number of pig-pickin' receptions though. Yep, walking to the barn--boots would be a good idea, especially if there are cows around. :)

And that's my wit and wisdom for this morning.

If anyone wants a free Kindle edition of my poetry book (Don't Frighten the Pansies), it's free through Thursday this week.

Where are you Laurie? I miss you.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:54 pm

My niece Kelly's wedding was the first I attended (autumn 2011). The site was the former home of Dr. Charlie Mayo of Mayo Clinic fame (Rochester, MN). You can read all about it here:
http://www.mayowoodstonebarn.com/#!the-property

Rather funny, I think, that the Bridle Room (formerly for horse riding equipment) is now outfitted for the bridal party.

Last fall, our eldest granddaughter also had an outdoor farm wedding. A more obscure place, I'd have to go searching to find another link. The reception was in the barn. But, the sunset ceremony was attended by a flock of sheep that paid their respects, ambling up to the fence to check what was going on. :)

Last year in May, my nephew and his bride had another outdoor wedding, this time at an apple orchard, very nice, but so hot sitting in the sun! They had a horse-drawn carriage ride-around for photographing, after the ceremony.

It's been awhile since I've attended a good old-fashioned church wedding!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:23 pm

To give you an idea, here are photos (none from yesterday's wedding, yet, too miserably cold to snap our own):

The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:52 pm

Lovely wedding pictures, Edy!
Verna

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Here is the story behind my rhubarb:

My plants came from stock that was well over 70 years old, and was originally from my grandmother's garden in South Dakota. Who knows how long she had been growing them, but I recall eating her tasty rhubarb pies way back when I was a little kid.

Since grandma had at least fifteens hills of rhubarb, Carol and I dug up a few of her plants for our little garden after we bought our first house in 1966. We have moved three times since then - taking the rhubarb plants with us to each new house.

The sale contract for our last house actually specified that we were taking the rhubarb with us. We moved in January 1989...the ground was frozen and snow covered...but, I was out there with an axe chopping pieces of rhubarb roots out of the solid ground. Somehow, they all survived.

Today, many years later, it is still doing well. It tastes every bit as good as grandma's rhubarb tasted in the early 1940's.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:15 pm

I LOVE THOSE WEDDING PICTURES ! A whole new concept in weddings for me. I love it!

Cute story, Don. I almost bought some rhubarb yesterday but refrained. It takes more sugar than John or I should have and he doesn't like it anyway, My bro in law eats a stalk by itself with salt on it. (shiver)

Please pray for my alma mater, Nyack College, north of New York City which suffered a gas explosion before noon today. Seven were injured. Major damage to the building. Both John and I went to Nyack, all my sisters, loads of cousins and nieces and nephews also graduated from there so it's dear to my heart. It sits above the Hudson River in a gorgeous setting and has an enrollment of about 3,000. I know the injured would appreciate your prayers. One girl or woman was blown through a window.
]
Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:08 am

Since that last piece of my fresh strawberry pie is now a pleasant memory, I made the CREAMY LEMON PIE yesterday from the recipe I posted here on Saturday afternoon.

I made it using a graham cracker crust and Cool Whip topping.

Ohhhh! Wowzer!! Is that good stuff, or what!!! 8)

Run...don't walk...to the grocery store for the ingredients you will need. Do it today for your after-dinner dessert tonight!

That tasty recipe will be added to your "favorite recipe file". I guarantee it!!! :wink:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:37 pm

Speaking of pies....

During the early days of our marriage, Carol - bless her heart, tried very hard to prepare a nice dinner meal for me each day. However, she was...shall we say...a “fledgling” in the art of cooking.

One day she spotted a recipe that looked pretty good. It was for a full crusted 9-inch tuna fish pot pie. It looked easy enough, so she decided to give it a go.

Mid-way in the preparation, Carol discovered she lacked a couple of the important seasonings that were needed. Not knowing what she should do, she called her sister to get advice for good substitutions.

Carol's sister, who also was a novice in the cooking department, recommended the use of a substantial amount of oregano as a good substitute in that situation. Armed with that knowledge, the tuna pot pie was completed, and was placed in the oven to bake.

Carol and I sat down for dinner - anxious to taste the new recipe. One bite was all it took for us to realize it was the worst tasting thing we had ever tried to put in our mouth. All of that oregano was definitely not the answer. Maybe the whole idea of a tuna fish pot pie was not good either.

We quickly scraped the “tuna filling” into the garbage can, and ate the pie crust for dinner. The pie crust was great!

:lol:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:28 pm

It does help to grow up in a big family, where one learns like an apprentice, by doing. Our dad had to endure our initial efforts at cooking (my mom was the exceptional teacher). When he had less than flattering comments, Mom said, "Alex, don't discourage them, or they won't want to learn." He replied that he was just giving us a picture of reality, so we wouldn't be heartbroken when our future husband complained about a meal.

That generated a true story about my saintly grandpa. My grandma was one of those whirlwind efficient homemakers. When the two were first married, she overlooked the last batch of cookies in the oven while she hurried to clean up the kitchen. When she belatedly pulled them, smoking, from the oven, she had to cry over the waste.

Dear Grandpa consoled his bride by telling her, "I've always liked burned cookies!" ...and cheerfully ate them all.

My Mom said she remembers being old enough to ask her mom, "Why do you always burn a pan of cookies?" Grandma replied, "Because your papa likes them that way."

Overhearing their conversation, Grandpa pulled Grandma onto his lap for a hug and said,
"That's true....but I do like unburned cookies, better!" 8)

You see why the whole family loved Grandpa Walter for the gem of a man he certainly was.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Love the cooking stories here! I knew NOTHING about cooking when I got married, and it was a rude awakening to find my groom expected his meals to be on time and to taste good. Oh well, I pretty much learned, but occasionally he might say, "if you wanted to eat out, you should have told me."

Dreary day here, but sunshine in my soul!
Verna

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Carol still cannot post anything on the Porch but she can read what's here. Here's the latest news from her that she asked me to post.

Just wanted you to know I'm alive and kicking! The house is sooo quiet now. Having two is a lot different than having eight in every way. The amount of food and dishes just seemed to multiply every time I turned around, but my daughter and her husband were a HUGE help! We got the leaks in the ceiling repaired and they discovered some major roof damage that had been done. In addition they did some major landscaping work and my deck is covered with beautiful planters of flowers, artfully arranged too. Unfortunately they went home with poison ivy.

Marty fell asleep at the table after they left today...they worked so hard.

Loved the wedding pictures and my mouth is watering for the pies!

So glad you didn't have any major damage from that terrible storm system, Allison. I heard that the 2.6 mike wide tornado in OK was the largest in recorded history! And winds up to 295 mph. Amazing! That area has been hit so hard. We've just gotten lots of rain and the wind took off all the blooms on our recently planted Knockout rose bushes.

I'm still locked out of the forum. I can read but not write.

Mariane, I had not heard about your fall. Are you okay? Any lasting effects?
Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler