To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

dub
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby dub » Tue May 28, 2013 6:26 am

Tuesday begins a seven day heat wave here in the swamp. Temps may even hit 90. And, I have a ton of outdoor work to complete. I may opt for a procrastination week, pray for rain, and otherwise find suitable shade for a nap.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue May 28, 2013 1:12 pm

In my Memorial Day thankfulness, I included all who contributed in any way. "They also serve who only stand and wait." In our service Sunday, the pastor honored, too, all those who lost someone in the service. of our country. So many have made our country great. I'm thankful.

Missing good friends here on the porch. I'll bake a cake!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Allison

Postby Allison » Tue May 28, 2013 10:54 pm

I would say Memorial Day, while the main focus is on those who died serving, is to honor all who served. The official "flag status" for Memorial day is half staff until noon, and then full staff from noon on. That makes me think it is to honor all, but with the emphasis on who who gave their lives.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu May 30, 2013 9:28 am

As you might remember from a porch posting last week, I needed a new dishwasher. Well, it was installed last week, and it works great. Also, I filled out and mailed the warranty card.

However, there are several things/questions on the warranty card that I refused to answer. I consider those items as "none-of-their-business" since that information has absolutely nothing to do with registration of the equipment.

Some typical unanswered questions would include: marital status; number and age of persons in the household; education level; family income; occupation; home ownership; square footage of home; automobiles owned; and more.

Other unanswered interest/activity questions would include: specific credit cards held; catalog shopping; internet surfing; email address; vcr ownership; vacations; hobbies; BIBLE READING/STUDY; and more.

Answers to those types of questions are added to our growing personal data base so that marketers can target the individual with specific products and services. However, in this day and age there might be much more to it.

Note the "BIBLE READING/STUDY" question. To me it is a red flag, and likely more than a simple marketing question. Today as never before, Bible believing Christians are being identified and marginalized. Our Homeland Security Department has already labeled Bible believing Christians as terrorists and a threat to society. The world hates us for what we believe. Its relentless effort to stamp out the Name of Jesus from society is gaining momentum every day.

Is the "BIBLE READING/STUDY" question one more subtle way to identify and locate Bible believing Christians so they can be dealt with when the rubber meets the road? I believe that day is coming sooner rather than later.

By the way, I answered "yes" to that question. I am not ashamed or afraid to admit it.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Thu May 30, 2013 5:09 pm

I was reading today in my devotions about how after the disciples had been arrested and later beaten that they rejoiced because they had been counted worthy to suffer dishonor for Christ's name. I knew that could be possible for me--only by the Spirit's help. We do not know the future, but we know that our Lord does. For that I am thankful.
Verna

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri May 31, 2013 1:48 pm

I went grocery shopping this morning, and along with the necessary items, I bought strawberries. A fresh strawberry pie topped with Cool Whip will be made this afternoon. Yumm!

The porch sitters are invited to come over today to help eat it. The pie will be cut into eight pieces. The first seven porchers who show up will be entitled to a nice piece of fresh strawberry pie. The last piece is mine!

If nobody shows up, I will be forced to eat the whole pie. Uff da!!!

~ ~ ~

Did you know this? No, you probably didn't. My mother was known as the "pie lady", both in her home town in South Dakota and in her winter home in Phoenix. She was often called upon to make her specialty pies for various events in both locations. She even had a multi-tiered basket to hold the pies while delivering them.

However, her pie making skills were probably learned from my grandmother, who seemed to always have a fresh pie ready for eating.

~ ~ ~

I am pretty sure that when I was weaned, my first solid food was a nice piece of pie. I don't remember what kind it was, though. :lol:

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri May 31, 2013 3:54 pm

Thanks for the invitation, Don! We have a weekend that includes church-friends' 50th wedding anniversary, a grandson's graduation open house and a wedding, so I'm afraid our calendar is already too full. :( Maybe the postman needs a bit of nourishment on his rounds, so you aren't left with a tummy ache. :wink:

My grandma made the best lemon merengue pie I've ever tasted. No matter how I try, I cannot duplicate her luscious lemon-custard filling. It was creamy vs. translucent, like some I've seen...and tasted. Sigh! If anyone has a grandma's secret recipe, I'd sure give it a try.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri May 31, 2013 4:21 pm

Edy wrote:Thanks for the invitation, Don! We have a weekend that includes church-friends' 50th wedding anniversary, a grandson's graduation open house and a wedding, so I'm afraid our calendar is already too full. :( Maybe the postman needs a bit of nourishment on his rounds, so you aren't left with a tummy ache. :wink:

My grandma made the best lemon merengue pie I've ever tasted. No matter how I try, I cannot duplicate her luscious lemon-custard filling. It was creamy vs. translucent, like some I've seen...and tasted. Sigh! If anyone has a grandma's secret recipe, I'd sure give it a try.

I have a thick, creamy lemon pie recipe to die for. Very lemony, tart, and sweet all rolled into one great tasting pie. It was my mother's recipe that probably originated with my grandmother.

I'll see if I can find it.

Next week I'll need to pick rhubarb. I can't decide if I should do a strawberry/rhubarb pie, a sauce, or a rhubarb crisp. Decisions, decisions, decisions... All of them are yummy!

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri May 31, 2013 4:54 pm

Pie---I'm in!
Verna

Allison

Postby Allison » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:29 am

To anyone who has heard about storms/tornadoes in the St. Louis/St. Charles area, I am fine. The power flickered a bit, and there are a few small limbs down in the yard, but no damage. My family and I are all fine.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:51 am

:thankssign :thankssign :thankssign :thankssign :thankssign :thankssign :thankssign :thankssign :thankssign I've never had creamy lemon pie instead of translucent. I'd love the recipe, too! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:14 am

So glad you're okay, Allison!
And Don, I'd like the recipe, too.
Verna

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:48 pm

This recipe is very simple, quick, and easy to make.

CREAMY LEMON PIE

Filling:
(2) 14oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
(1) 12oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate
(1) 9" baked pie shell

Meringue topping:
(4) egg whites
(1) tsp. cream of tartar
(1) c. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Pour condensed milk into mixing bowl, add thawed lemonade concentrate. Beat with wire whip. Pour into baked pie shell and refrigerate or freeze until firm. Pour excess filling, if any, into small dessert dishes.

Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla until frothy. Gradually beat in sugar a little at a time. Continue beating until stiff and glossy. Do not under-beat. Pile meringue onto pie filling. Bake at 375 degrees until meringue peaks are golden. Refrigerate before serving.

Notes:
1) Frozen limeade concentrate can be used instead of the lemonade to make a key lime pie.

2) I prefer using a graham cracker crust, and Cool Whip topping.
To me, meringue is tasteless and resembles Styrofoam. :roll:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Thank you muchly, Don. That is a new-to-me type recipe. I've always done the cooked variety, and I think it included eggs (I haven't made any lemon pie in awhile, so don't recall for certain) - at least egg yolks, with the whites reserved for the merengue, as I recall.

I may have to give your "short and sweet" version a try - perhaps I'll opt for the key lime pie, as I've never made that one, but have enjoyed eating it.

We went to another "barn" wedding this afternoon - and it turned so chilly, I wished we'd brought along our winter coats in the car! I can only imagine how miserable the bare arms, backs and legs must have felt, because my covered ones still wanted more layers. And, you'd think since the last three weddings we've been to have all been the outdoor "barn" variety I'd know by now not to wear sandals or heels. Boots would make more sense for walking over the uneven terrain. :P
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:36 am

Recipe sounds good, Don, (and rich with the condensed milk). Tim will love it but John's diabetes is kicking in so he'd better stay away from it.

I am slow getting over my fall in the kitchen but I'm so glad there are no broken bones. My feet get in the way when I walk so I'm considering using my hands to walk on for awhile. :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy

This bit of news from Carol:

Once again I am locked out of the forum but I wanted to let you know I am alive and kicking! We spent several days over Memorial Day weekend with kids and Marty's siblings. Now we are expecting our middle daughter to arrive with her husband and foyr children and dog at about 1:00 am this morning. They have come to help us get some repairs done on our house on dry walling. They'll be here for three days so if you don't hear from me, you'll know why. I think of you all and miss you.

:grouphug2 :grouphug2 :loveyou :grouphug2 :loveyou
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler