To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Edy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:36 pm

Don, I think you'll like this encouraging news: :superhappy http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/romney-w ... -it-means/
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:53 am

Edy wrote:Don, I think you'll like this encouraging news: :superhappy http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/romney-w ... -it-means/

While your link shows poll results for Americans voting in Israel, the following tells a somewhat different story.

70% of U.S. Jews support Obama; 57% of Israeli Jews support Romney

* Upwards of 70% of American Jews are planning to vote for the reelection of Barack Obama, according to a Gallup poll;
• By contrast, a stunning 57% of Israeli Jews say they want Governor Romney to be the next American president, according to a Haaretz poll.
• Only 22% of Israeli Jews prefer Obama to remain in office, according to the Haaretz poll.
• Israeli Jews overwhelmingly believe Romney would be more pro-Israel and more effective in confronting Iran over the nuclear issue.
• Israeli Arabs, on the other hand, overwhelmingly supported Obama, reported Haaretz.
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:44 am

Good morning all. Thank you for the birthday greetings. Mariane, you light up the world like you light up a page! I did enjoy a quiet birthday with my sweetie, just zonked out on the sofa after church and eating out. (My son came Friday to wish me a Happy Birthday; my daughter invited me to her house for the week-end---so I wasn't forgotten though I didn't feel like going.) I have a cold that has tried to knock me down--hence the zonking--but don't count me out yet.

As I was praying earnestly for the election today, I asked God for peace for all of us if the one we think is wiser and more honorable and will make better choices for America doesn't win. We know God is in control, and He expects us to do our part to vote for one who follows more closely the admonitions in His Word.

I enjoyed the story, Edy, and I think I'll try Joanney's apple recipe.

God bless you every one!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:59 am

Election day is here, and the media still refers of the many "undecided" voters. Don't those people have the capacity to think, or what? I have trouble understanding their indecision at this point. Perhaps they are just trying to gain attention by creating talking points and frustration for the media.

What in the world will they do when they enter the voting booth? Will they simply close their eyes while they cast a vote for whoever?

On another note...
Apparently there are some electronic voting machines that are switching the vote to a different candidate other than the voter's selection. A reason given this morning is that some machines are overly sensitive to "intended choices" of the voter. I see another "hanging chad/dimpled chad" fiasco in the making. Why can't they get it right?

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:35 pm

From this morning's email inbox (I haven't verified if this is fact or fiction, but a good read, nevertheless), a friend wrote:

I have read this before but feel it is appropriate to pass on, especially on this election day. May God bless America and may He be blessed by our vote.

Cheryl

At a Tennessee Football Game---not a joke!

This is a statement that was read over the PA system at the football game at Roane County High School , Kingston , Tennessee by school Principal, Jody McLeod:

'It has always been the custom at Roane County High School football games, to say a prayer and play the National Anthem, to honor God and country. Due to a recent ruling by the Supreme Court, I am told that saying a prayer is a violation of federal case law. As I understand the law at this time, I can use this public facility to approve of sexual perversion and call it "an alternate life style," and if someone is offended, that's OK.

'I can use it to condone sexual promiscuity, by dispensing condoms and calling it, "safe sex." If someone is offended, that's OK.I can even use this public facility to present the merits of killing an unborn baby as a "viable means of birth control." If someone is offended, no problem...

'I can designate a school day as "Earth Day" and involve students in activities to worship religiously and praise the goddess "Mother Earth" and call it ecology. I can use literature, videos and presentations in the classroom that depicts people with strong, traditional Christian convictions as "simple minded" and "ignorant" and call it "enlightenment.."

'However, if anyone uses this facility to honor GOD and to ask HIM to bless this event with safety and good sportsmanship, then Federal Case Law is violated.

'This appears to be inconsistent at best, and at worst, diabolical. Apparently, we are to be tolerant of everything and anyone, except GOD and HIS commandments.

'Nevertheless , as a school principal, I frequently ask staff and students to abide by rules with which they do not necessarily agree. For me to do otherwise would be inconsistent at best, and at worst, hypocritical. I suffer from that affliction enough unintentionally. I certainly do not need to add an intentional transgression.

'For this reason, I shall "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's," and refrain from praying at this time.

'However, if you feel inspired to honor, praise and thank GOD and ask HIM,in the name of JESUS, to bless this event, please feel free to do so.. As far as I know, that's not against the law--yet.'

One by one, the people in the stands bowed their heads, held hands with one another and began to pray.

They prayed in the stands. They prayed in the team huddles. They prayed at the concession stand and they prayed in the announcer's box!

Somehow, Kingston , Tennessee remembered what so many have forgotten. We are given the Freedom OF Religion, not the Freedom FROM Religion. Praise GOD!

(original author's distracting editorial comments removed)
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:23 pm

We lived in Ohio for three years during which time our boys were born. One gentleman in the community, who sent his kids to a private school in Columbus, sued the London School district for praying before the football game. So the school employees stopped praying and members of the football team lead the fans in prayer before the games. Most of the town thought that since this lawyer sent his kids to a private school out of the district (even though he lived in the district) that he shouldn't have filed the suit -- his kids were not being affected and the rest of the community wanted to praise God before the game.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:30 pm

Well, you know the old saying--All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. And that's men as in all-inclusive. Did you know that up until the 12th century A.D. the word men meant both men and women? For some reason, the words woman, wife and female came into being. Also, I was interested to notice that the word girl once included boys as well. Isn't the English language a hoot?

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:09 pm

Am I still allowed to pop my head in here?

I can't tell you what a relief it was to cast my ballot. It was the strangest feeling...almost like holding my breath until I voted. I dont know that there has been an election that I thought was more important than this one. We don't deserve God's mercy but still pray for it. Every vote counts!

I miss you all but just haven't had anything to contribute. Like many others I think I am battling depression, and don't want to spread the affliction. :lol:

And then Tuesday Marty and I had to have my buddy put to sleep, we had 15 loving years together. Only those who have been attached to pets will understand . I feel absolutely lost without him and feel like I betrayed my best friend.

Verna, I am so sorry I missed your birthday but pray that you will soon have conquered that nasty cold. Sometimes it feels like they hang on forever.

I still carry you all in my heart.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

gwenllian
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby gwenllian » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi Green Leaves, nice to meet you.

I fully understand your misery over having your 'buddy' put down. Some years back I had to do the same to my beloved Rottweiler, Suzie Q. On my way home I had to stop the car on the side of the road and howl my eyes out because I couldn't see to drive for the tears. I still can't think about it without a lump in my throat.

I'm sure the Lord knows and understands our feelings concerning the pets He's blessed us with. I pray He'll give you comfort.

God bless.
Gwen

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:48 pm

gwenllian wrote:Hi Green Leaves, nice to meet you.

I fully understand your misery over having your 'buddy' put down. Some years back I had to do the same to my beloved Rottweiler, Suzie Q. On my way home I had to stop the car on the side of the road and howl my eyes out because I couldn't see to drive for the tears. I still can't think about it without a lump in my throat.

I'm sure the Lord knows and understands our feelings concerning the pets He's blessed us with. I pray He'll give you comfort.

God bless.
Gwen

Welcome aboard the Porch, Gwenllian - I don't think I've seen your face around these parts before! BeachGrandma is our hostess with the mostest, so I'm sure she's going after another rocker with your name on it.

GreenLeaves - you know your face is always missed when you're hiding in the shadows. Just curl up in the porch swing and we'll shower you with attention to help you feel better.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your buddy - both of you! I'm sure we all have heartbreaking memories of those favorite creature-companions that God has given us. I am totally convinced our own little Toni will come bounding down those golden streets to greet me and my original family. She was such a treasure. (You can read all about her on my member page, story titled "The Pale Green Sedan.")

BeachGrandma has posted her heartbreaking story(ies) about the loss of one or more of her pets, too, but I don't recall her titles.

By the way, was "Ream ---> Roam" the last straw in the word game?

Well, here's a boost: Roam ---> Foam! :P
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi Gwen - :welcome

Nice to see you! We want to invite you to become part of our family where we rock on the porch, hug our resident virtual hound dog, Ole Blue, eat all the time, pray for each others' needs (prayer requests are the only times we use the red font on here because prayer is so important to all of us, share our problems, wipe each others' tears, lend a soft shoulder, applaud and shout when something wonderful happens to you or those you care about, and share our secrets and anything else that brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus do.

I know what you, too, mean about having to put a beloved pet to sleep. Like you, my precious little cockapoo had lived with us for years and when the time came, my dh was out of town and I had to drive the long ten mile country road alone to the vet, then the awful ride back when I had to keep pulling over beside the road by a pasture or something to cry my eyes out. If you want to read about it, please visit my website at:

http://www.marianholbrook.com/Goodbyemylittledog.html

Be sure to turn on the sound. At the very least, the story will let you know that others experienced your feelings when that terrible time arrived to make that decision. :( :cry2 :sorry

I know all of you will be glued to the TV tonight to see who our new president is. Both sides remain hopeful, mostly to encourage those who haven't voted yet. :clap

I got some cortisone shots and am eagerly awaiting for them to kick in. While I was there the nurse took some blood for a routine check and found that I'm very anemic so I have to go back Thursday to give more blood. It doesn't surprise me about the anemia but I'll be interested to see what they find with the 2nd blood test. :thumbs

I love all you guys and gals. :love2 :loveyou :hugs2 :grouphug :grouphug3 :hugkiss :grouphug2 :handshake :loveyou
"O Jesus, Jesus, dearest Lord, forgive me if I say
For very love, thy sacred name, a thousand times a day.
O Jesus, Lord, with me abide; I rest in Thee whate'er betide.
Thy gracious smile is my reward. I love, I love Thee, Lord.

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:30 pm

BeachGrandma, do you like beets? We had the sweetest nurse from Poland looking after Howard when he had his bypass surgery (and dropped his hemoglobin to 7.8). She told us to just eat lots of beets and almonds (? I think, but may have been a different nut) and he'd be back to normal in no time. He didn't want a transfusion (he donates blood, since his type is fairly rare) and he managed to get back to normal without one.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:37 pm

I took my place at the end of the line leading to the voting place at 10:00am. The parking lots were full as were surrounding parking lots, including the on-street parking. At 11:15, I was done and left the building. The huge voter turn-out in our small city at that time of day was something I had never seen before in the 20+ years I have voted there.

In spite of the large numbers of people, the line moved steadily but slowly, and the voting process went quite well. It still took 75 minutes.

What was your experience?

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:35 pm

We went around early lunch time and had to wait less than five minutes. The staff said they had had a good turn out and we came in at just the right time.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Our lonely lawn signs bore fruit. A neighbor who said he hasn't voted in years contacted Howard. (He said he was so upset over the "open" marriage agenda, that he had to vote for the one-man-one-woman amendment) So the three of us went to vote together (neighbor needed to register - same-day registration, here) around 1 pm. No line, but all the stand-up voting stands were occupied, but we found room to sit at a table. The neighbor tried this morning with his wife, but said the line then was out the door and she had to go to work, so they gave up.

So, we finished our voting without taking too much time.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler