To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

forHIM
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby forHIM » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:08 pm

lead >>>>??? >>>>??>>>? leaf :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy
When God calls me to account, what will I answer Him? Job 31:14

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=29757

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:27 pm

leaf--> deaf

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

forHIM

Postby forHIM » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:36 pm

deaf <<>>> deal

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:58 pm

deal ----- meal
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

forHIM

Postby forHIM » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:11 pm

meal . . . heal >>>>> all of us Amen!

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:00 am

heal - real

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:42 pm

Well, "it" happened again. The "it" is becoming a regular occurrence at our house. The "it" always happens about once a week, and most often at dinner time. I am ashamed and feel badly about "it" each time "it" happens. Although I am at a loss for words to fully describe "it", I will try to do so.

You see, the "it" involves my culinary skills...or lack thereof. Once again I failed in my attempt to provide a mouth-watering dinner for my bride and me. Even the simplest main dishes have become a challenge to produce even at mediocre levels. My goal of excelling in the culinary arts is quickly slipping away from my grasp. However, I take comfort in the old saying, "Geriatric dogs don't do so good learning new stuff"...or something like that.

Early today Carol asked what we were having for dinner. I answered, "Glazed lemon chicken with fresh cooked broccoli and rice."

Her response was, "Mmmm yummy!"

Late this afternoon I slaved in the kitchen...working my fingers to the bone preparing the dinner. I followed the recipe with the precision of a chemist. It all came together beautifully in a timely manner...it smelled good...and looked great, too. When all was ready, I served up portions onto our plates.

Carol took a big bite, and immediately got a strange look on her face.

After a second bite she said, "The glazed lemon chicken is awful!"

Following a third bite she announced, "I'm not going to eat this! Just make me a PBJ sandwich."

I thought to myself, "Oh, oh...the 'it' has struck again." :?

By the way, I didn't like the dinner either, but it was a new recipe that I had wanted to try. However, the PBJ sandwiches were great, and will be the house special from now on. This old hound can do that very well! 8)

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Don, welcome to the Over-The-Hill Culinary Disaster Club. You can send your $50 membership fee directly to me. The benefits of membership will be mailed to you under separate cover.

This was on the internet today. Sad, isn't it?

http://www.christianpost.com/news/rev-r ... ral-84249/
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:09 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:

This was on the internet today. Sad, isn't it?

http://www.christianpost.com/news/rev-r ... ral-84249/

What a mess!

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:30 am

Jumping on the caboose here to catch up with my porch friends---

Mariane, I had some peanutbutter fudge pie in the freezer. I'll share it with you all and Ole' Blue.
I checked on Blue a couple of times, but he was hiding till they turned the porch lights back on.

Don, I loved your description of "it." I've found it best in my "retirement" years to stick with the tried and true recipes, and sometimes I even mess those up. Oh --I missed 3 and a half of the quiz. My dh said it had to be a really good ad for us to remember LSMFT.

I've been struck sideways by a mean cold virus, but I persevere. Greetings to all.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:32 pm

real --> peal

I put 4 quarts of blueberry applesauce and 4 apple pies in the freezer today. I have apple peels and cores boiling with cinnamon sticks in the crockpot to make the juice for apple jelly. I will make that when I get home at about 8:00 tonight after playing taxi for the boys. Greg has to be at his play at 6:00 and then I need to drive to the northern part of the Cities to pick up Simon from a tournament that he has been at all day. It will take about an hour driving each way to get Simon, so I will not be back until about 8:00 and then need to feed him and do the jelly before picking up Greg at about 9:30.

Needless to say, I did not get much homework done today. :?
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:09 pm

So much for rest, huh, Joanney? I can just see those apple pies! Did you freeze them baked or unbaked? John is going to help me make 3 for the freezer. I've never done that before. Any tips for baking them later on?

I can't even imagine how good blueberry applesauce is! I'm crazy about applesauce, too.

I love baked apples from the microwave and have one for breakfast and another for supper almost every day. We put a hole in the middle almost to the bottom of the apple, put in sugar, a dab of butter, cinnamon, and they're out in no time. Then I pour milk over them and oooooh so good! We don't have the good northern apples like you do. Granny Smith's are about the only cooking apple that we have. I used to make the most delicious apple cake with pecans but I'm the only one who eats it so I don't make it anymore and it doesn't freeze well. The cut-up apples come out soggy when you defrost the cake.

Every fall I order 25 lbs of pecan halves from a company in Georgia and they are beautiful (but oh so expensive when you add shipping costs). But I put some in my oatmeal every day so we use about a pound a month which leaves me enough for Christmas baking. We have a shrink wrap thingy so they keep for a full year in the freezer.

Time for supper--chicken pot pie with salad and a baked apple. Yum
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Over the years we always resisted the urge to buy a freezer. Instead, we have two large refrigerators with a bottom freezer drawer in each one.

When we make something, we eat it...instead of freezing it. :wink:

There were times, however, when we certainly could have used a big freezer.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:25 pm

I freeze a lot of stuff. It works so well when cooking/baking for one. Plus I'm used to getting wild turkey in the spring and venison in the fall.

Tonight I decided to scan my dad's obituary and my sympathy cards. I can feel the sinus pressure (it's too bad I didn't think to do this earlier in the year before the allergens started building up on them), but it will just get worse if I wait and do it later. Now I'll put them away, but at least I'll be able to look at the pdf files.

Trying to wrap up some website matters and things at home so I can focus on the new business. I downloaded the DVR self-employment and business plan info. :shock: It will take a while to wade through it all.

I was able to get some pretty good discounts on some of the over the counter things I take. Last year at this time, there were good discounts available so I ordered a year's worth. I did the same this year. The total savings (on the items I ordered for next year) came to 262.19. That's pretty significant in my budget. :) I couldn't help but think of my friend who passed away in June (she was only 41 and it was unexpected) because she was always getting such great bargains. Praying for her family tonight as they face their first holiday season without her.

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:29 pm

Peal ---> Veal

Got this in an email and thought my porch pals would find it encouraging:

PHONE ON THE WALL.... HELLO

When I was a young boy, my father had one of the first telephones in our neighborhood.... I remember the polished, old case fastened to the wall. The shiny receiver hung on the side of the box. I was too little to reach the telephone, but used to listen with fascination when my mother talked to it.

Then I discovered that somewhere inside the wonderful device lived an amazing person. Her name was "Information Please" and there was nothing she did not know. Information Please could supply anyone's number and the correct time.

My personal experience with the genie-in-a-bottle came one day while my mother was visiting a neighbor. Amusing myself at the tool bench in the basement, I whacked my finger with a hammer, the pain was terrible, but there seemed no point in crying because there was no one home to give sympathy.

I walked around the house sucking my throbbing finger, finally arriving at the stairway. The telephone! Quickly, I ran for the footstool in the parlor and dragged it to the landing. Climbing up, I unhooked the receiver in the parlor and held it to my ear.
"Information, please" I said into the
mouthpiece just above my head.

A click or two and a small clear voice spoke into my ear.

"Information."

"I hurt my finger..." I wailed into the phone, the tears came readily enough
now that I had an audience.

"Isn't your mother home?" came the question.

"Nobody's home but me," I blubbered.

"Are you bleeding?" the voice asked.

"No," I replied. "I hit my finger with the hammer and it hurts."
"Can you open the icebox?" she asked..

I said I could.

"Then chip off a little bit of ice and hold it to your finger," said the voice...

After that, I called "Information Please" for everything.. I asked her for
help with my geography, and she told me where Philadelphia was. She helped me with my math.

She told me my pet chipmunk that I had caught in the park just the day before, would eat fruit and nuts...

Then, there was the time Petey, our pet canary, died.. I called, "Information Please," and told her the sad story. She listened, and then said things grown-ups say to soothe a child. But I was not consoled. I asked her, "Why is it that birds should sing so beautifully and bring joy to all families, only to end up as a heap of feathers on the bottom of a cage?"

She must have sensed my deep concern, for she said quietly, " Wayne , always remember that there are other worlds to sing in."

Somehow I felt better.

Another day I was on the telephone, "Information Please."

"Information," said in the now familiar voice. "How do I spell fix?"
I asked.

All this took place in a small town in the Pacific Northwest . When I was nine years old, we moved across the country to Boston . I missed my friend very much. "Information Please" belonged in that old wooden box back home and I somehow never thought of trying the shiny new phone that sat on the table in the hall. As I grew into my teens, the memories of those childhood conversations never really left me.

Often, in moments of doubt and perplexity I would recall the serene sense of security I had then. I appreciated now how patient, understanding, and kind she was to have spent her time on a little boy.

A few years later, on my way west to college, my plane put down in Seattle .. I had about a half-hour or so between planes. I spent 15 minutes or so on the phone with my sister, who lived there now. Then without thinking what I was doing, I dialed my hometown operator and said, "Information Please."

Miraculously, I heard the small, clear voice I knew so well.

"Information."

I hadn't planned this, but I heard myself saying,
"Could you please tell me how to spell fix?"

There was a long pause. Then came the soft spoken answer, "I guess your finger must have healed by now."

I laughed, "So it's really you," I said. "I wonder if you have any idea how much you meant to me during that time?"

I wonder," she said, "if you know how much your calls meant to me. I never had any children and I used to look forward to your calls."

I told her how often I had thought of her over the years and I asked if I could call her again when I came back to visit my sister.

"Please do", she said. "Just ask for Sally."

Three months later I was back in Seattle .. A different voice answered,

"Information."
I asked for Sally.

"Are you a friend?" she said.

"Yes, a very old friend," I answered.

"I'm sorry to have to tell you this," She said. "Sally had been working part time the last few years because she was sick. She died five weeks ago."

Before I could hang up, she said, "Wait a minute, did you say your name was Wayne ?" "

Yes." I answered.

"Well, Sally left a message for you. She wrote it down in case you called. Let me read it to you."

The note said, "Tell him there are other worlds to sing in. He'll know what I mean."

I thanked her and hung up. I knew what Sally meant.

Never underestimate the impression you may make on others..Whose life have you touched today?

Why not pass this on? I just did.....

Lifting you on eagle's wings.
May you find the joy and peace you long for.

Sometimes God sends us people that make a mark in our lives that we don't recognize for
some time.....
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler