To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Green Leaves
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Green Leaves » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:39 pm

DJ, since I only stick my head out of the porch once in a while, I didn't know about Gidget either. Tell us a little history about her. I know it would be very painful to me to have to give away my cat that I have had for almost fifteen years. He is my little buddy and I would be lost without him. So I can imagine your sense of loss.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:03 pm

The only Gidget I know of was the cute gal in the 1959 surfer movie staring Sandra Dee, James Darren, and Cliff Robertson.

Are you saying there are other Gidgets?

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:46 pm

My computer just completed another 3-day stay at the shop so with a little luck I'll be able to use it for awhile. This is the last time we're going to fool with it. Next time it shuts down, out it goes.

I'm sorry to read about your tumble, Don. Thank God you didn't break a hip or something, with all the responsibilities you have as Carol's caretaker.

My sister's husband had a seizure the other night and scared everyone nearly to death. They have been with us for 3 weeks. Luckily, their daughter and her husband were here also and heard his cries. The ambulance took him to the hospital where they found his thyroid was dangerously low. He was there for 2 nights and is back with us now. He's always been so healthy that it really concerned us. Now they have to worry about getting him back to Boston, whether he'll be able to drive any more, what this will do to his job as pastor of a church there. If he has another seizure, the chances of having a 3rd one are 60 percent.

Joanney, you are in my prayers and in my thoughts. Please keep us posted.

Love you all.
"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:11 am

ID Security Alert!

I think I almost fell for an email scam! Beware! I checked my "Junk" folder just now and found an email claiming to be from PayPal. It told me that a new email address had been added to my account. I nearly clicked on the attachment, but checked myself just in time and went directly to PayPal customer service. Here's what I learned:

One way to tell if an email is really from PayPal is that we address you by your first and last names or your business name. We don't say things like "Dear user" or "Hello PayPal member."

Also, our emails don't link directly to pages that ask you to enter sensitive information like your bank account, credit card, or Social Security numbers. Our emails never link directly to pages like that.

If you received what you believe is a fake PayPal email:

1. Please forward it to our Customer Service team at spoof@paypal.com.
2. Delete the suspicious email and don't click any links or attachments in it.

Here's the spoof email message - the first and last paragraphs, which make no sense!
Dear PayPal Customer,

You have added steve_mike11@btconnect.com as a new email address for your Paypal account.

If you did not authorize this change, check with family members and others who may have access to your account first. If you still feel that an unauthorized person has changed your email, submit the form attached to your email in order to keep your original email and restore your Paypal account.

Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporary suspend your account.

Sincerely,

PayPal Account Review Department.

:shock:
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:28 pm

That is scary, Edy! I've received suspicious emails from them as well, but not like yours. Hopefully I will continue to remember never to click on their links.

Mariane, sending a prayer to our Father for your brother in law. My brother in law with melanoma in his eye is having the radiation plate installed on his eye today to be in for five days. I would appreciate your prayers for him.

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:04 pm

About a month and a half ago, my roomies C.J. and Diane were coming home from the store when they saw a gray tortie kitten at a bus stop, eating an ant-covered pizza crust. The kitten was very friendly and socialable, so they brought her home and named her Gidget. She was a smart, very well-behaved (for a two month old kitten) who brought us much joy and laughter. But we live in a no-pets-allowed house/apartment, and one of our roomies claimed to have allergies. She went so far as to wait until the rest of us were out, took our lease, tore off the last page which had the pet policy on it, then highlighted the "no pets" section in yellow, then added "Violation of pet policy", in red, then taped it to our door. Not very mature.
C.J. and Diane bought a harness and leash for Gidget, which she took to quickly, and they had her out front on it, letting passers-by know that she was available. A girl who lives next door to us took her, saying she was giving her to her grandmother in Tijuana, Mexico, over a hundred miles south. We miss her terribly. My heart was starting to heal over the loss of my cat Tripod two years before. :cry:
I think we could've kept her, because our landlady almost never comes over. But the day after they gave Gidget away, I think our other roomie must've ratted us out--the one who put the note on our door--because the brother of our landlady came over to check something upstairs in the other part of the house, and he saw C.J. sitting out front. He came up to her and said,"I hear you have a kitten." C.J. was able to truthfully saw no we didn't. Our landlady's parents actually own the house, and it's her mother who is against our having pets--though we did manage to talk our landlady into having a pet rat. His name's Chestnut and he and Gidget got to be friends.
I have a couple of pictures of Gidget that C.J. took with her cameraphone, but I'm not sure how to put them on here; I've forwarded them to my pastor--he and his wife were upset that they didn't get to meet Gidget in person--so if someone here can put them up I can forward them .

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:45 pm

It is really painful to lose a pet. They wrap themselves around our hearts and make themselves at home. But as Christians, I believe we must honor commitments we have made, even when it is so hard. And I know this was not easy. I haven't learned to post photos though others have tried to walk me through the process. But it sounds like your kitten was adorable, DJ.

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:55 pm

Just a quick stop over! We're exhausted.

Our granddaughter's wedding, last evening, couldn't have been lovelier - gorgeous weather, setting overlooking a lake (a place called Gale Woods Farm), with sheep grazing in the setting sun beyond the fence to our west (they didn't want to miss the wedding, either!). The couple's youth pastor, who has known them for years, officiated.

The dessert buffet reception was decadently opulent - looked like something out of a movie - with chocolate everywhere! Chocolate mousse, cherry-chocolate cheesecake, and more. And, family gathered from Iowa, Kansas, and Tennessee, besides Minnesota.

Today we had brunch at the bride's family home in Plymouth, early pizza supper at the bride's aunt's home near Stillwater, with dessert following at Nelson's famous ice cream parlor in Stillwater. http://nelsonsicecream.biz/index.html (Check out the history and photo gallery!)

And, we aren't finished, yet! We'll be seeing folks again, tomorrow, before they depart on their long trips back to Iowa, Kansas and Tennessee! We are blessed beyond measure.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:47 am

Edy wrote:

Today we had brunch at the bride's family home in Plymouth, early pizza supper at the bride's aunt's home near Stillwater, with dessert following at Nelson's famous ice cream parlor in Stillwater. http://nelsonsicecream.biz/index.html (Check out the history and photo gallery!)

Carol and I have enjoyed several fall visits to quaint little Stillwater for an outdoor patio lunch surrounded by beautiful fall foilage near the picturesque river. Of course, Nelson's ice cream parlor was always a "must do" place for dessert.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:48 pm

Happy Birthday Mariane. :party

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Edy, the wedding sounds lovely. And nice that you can spend time with family from out of town, too.

Mariane, how is your brother-in-law?

Carol, how is your brother doing?

Things are pretty rough here. I wish I had someone to talk to sometimes. I mean REALLY talk to - like clients can talk to me.

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

I really can empathize with you, Laurie for I often feel that way. It's tough when you are seemingly alone in your world, and must take care of everyone else and no one is there to take care of you.

Of course, go to God, which I do, and I know you do...but sometimes, like the saying goes, you want someone with skin on to really take time just to listen, and not get paid for it. (((((hugs))))
Barb Culler

Verna

Postby Verna » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Who can put a smile on the darkest frown?
Who can? Mariane?
Who can say words that comfort and heal?
Who can? Mariane!
Who can bake chocolate chip cookies that are the best by grandson test?
Who can? Mariane!
Who can tell write a poem to make you laugh or cry?
Who can? Mariane!
Who can always bring a word of cheer to anyone who needs it?
Who Can? Mariane!
Who can be a loyal friend and give such wise advice?
Who can? Mariane!
:eyes
Who's the one we love who has a birthday today?
MARIANE!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR, DEAR FRIEND! WE LOVE YOU!!!
:party
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Verna

Postby Verna » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:36 pm

May your heart be comforted with God's special love for you, Deejay.

Edy, I'd love to sample those goodies with you and see the beautiful wedding!

Hope you all have a good week.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:06 pm

:birthday HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIANE!!! :birthday

:party :music2 :party

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler