To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Laurie
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Laurie » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:46 am

Barb, glad your niece and her family made it across the country safely. What an adventure for them. :shock:

Cynthia, hugs to you. Saying a prayer for you this morning.

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:32 am

Sending up a prayer of praise for Barb's family's safe travel and a prayer for Cynthia to have an infusion of God's love and grace. When we are most worn out physically, that's when Satan loves to pounce on us, but when we trust in God, He is always by our side, whether we feel him there or not!
Wishing a blessed day to all on the porch. . .
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:48 pm

cdawson41 wrote:Hello all, just wanted to drop in and say. I've been out of the loop for sometime now.
Wish I could give you all a good reason but really there isn't one. Between pain, and getting ready for a garage sale, and starting Christmas projects as I refuse to buy gifts anymore, they get somehing I've made or they get nothing at all. I will asmit here to you all that my faith has taken a huge nose dive and I don't know why.. I suppose it's because all that is going on and it so feels like God has forgotten I exist. I know this to be untrue in my head but my heart is telling me otherwise. Maybe if you all have time you could send up a bit of a prayer for me. I need to get out of this funk but this time I'm having a hard time trying to rebound fro it all. Hope everyone is well will try to catch up on reading soon. Cynthia

Cynthia, my preacher papa used to say that if the adversary cannot attack a Christian any other way, he will use discouragement. I think Dad suffered a lot, like what you're going through. I recall one letter he wrote, telling me that he woke so discouraged that he had to sit down and write letters to encourage others. That sure called the devil's bluff, in my estimation! :P

Another time, when I was going through an almost "death of a vision," he wrote a quick postcard: "Isn't that just like the dirty devil! He cannot stand to see Christians happy, so he tries to rob us of our joy. Well, just don't let him!" I've had plenty of reason to regularly recall that favorite message when I needed to take it to heart once again.

Here's the link to my September Salt & Light Report, I just posted here in the Encouragement section. Perhaps it will be used of God to lift your heart above the shadows.

Investments
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:56 pm

There are a couple of porch birthdays coming up soon. Joanney - tomorrow, September 10 and Mariane, Sunday, September 16.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Today is Sunday…the day following our work week that we set aside for rest and worship. The Lord God declared the day following His creation week as a day of rest. He established that as a pattern for us following His six days of creation, for God’s week of work had been completed. It is prudent for mankind to follow His leading.

Did I attend church services this morning? Yes, I did.

I chose to do so because I needed to go. I needed to hear the Truth of the Word of God being proclaimed. I needed to be among like-minded believers who gather together for a time of praise and worship. My soul needed the comfort, the re-assurance, and the restored spiritual strength only made possible through the renewing power of the Holy Spirit.

It is because I needed to go, that I did go...not out of ritualistic duty, but rather, because I have received Jesus into my heart and life as Savior and Lord. You see…I love Him, and my life belongs to Him. He purchased my redemption with His life on the cross to pay my sin debt in full...a debt I could never pay. He is my all in all. I long to give my Lord all the honor and glory that is within me...not just on this day, but each and every day.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:26 pm

That's a beautiful testimonial, Don. As one Army chaplain explained, the fellowship of believers is like a gas station, where we fill our tanks so we can go out to the highways and byways of life with the Good News of Jesus and the ministry of reconciliation He entrusts to us.

Here's a couple blessings to my heart from our morning worship time, today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC8puwexBBo - He Knows My Name
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbrt1y8pKCo - Jesus, All for Jesus

Thanks, Laurie, for the birthday reminder! I sure appreciate it. 8)
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:06 am

Good to see you, Cynthia! I would venture to say that everyone on the porch at one time or several times has slid into this crisis of faith. Sometimes I've prayed my way out, sometimes I've praised my way out and sometimes I was so exhausted physically, emotionally and spiritually that I just crawled into Jesus' arms and rested. I'll pray that God will reassure you of His love and restore your joy. You are His child and He'll never let you go. God bless you.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR JOANNEY! It's 2 a.m. and I beat the crowd of well-wishers you'll be hearing from here and on Facebook today.

Must get to bed. It's been a tough week but "tomorrow is another day," as someone said!
:D
(singing):
"Cover me, Lord, with Your presence,
Cover me, Lord, with Your righteousness,
Cover me, Lord, with Your holiness,
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:27 am

Home at last! Marty and I were able to go see our kids for over a week and we got home last night and Marty started running a fever, this morning feeling worse, achy all over and a bit of sore throat, still running fever. No work for him today!

Happy birthday, Joanney! I hope your day is really special!

Cynthia, Marianne's words are so true. Countless times I have to remind myself that Jesus is holding me and He will never let me go. That is His promise. And I am reminded of words written by a fellow Campus Crusader years ago. That faith is the engine that drives the train, followed by fact, and emotions just bring up the rear as the caboose. Faith, fact, feeling. No matter how we are feeling, it doesn't change the facts. And He has promised..."being confident in this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.". Philippians 1:6 NIV. And He has promised His presence with us always. "Lord, I feel....., but Your Word says...."
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:54 am

Another HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOANNEY! We sure do love you!

:birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2

Welcome home, Carol! We missed you. I hope Marty is able to recover quickly and things return to normal there. I'll be anxious to hear more about your trip.

My computer is really showing its bad side again. I lost a lot of unopened mail and then it shut down completely for most of one day. Can anyone spell L.E.M.O.N. any other way?

I guess I should get up and put my day in gear. My sis is making a different kind of French toast so I'm anxious to try it. Only 5 more days til they leave and I dread it already.

Love you guys!
Last edited by BeachGrandma on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
(singing):
"Cover me, Lord, with Your presence,
Cover me, Lord, with Your righteousness,
Cover me, Lord, with Your holiness,
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:55 am

Happy Birthday Joanney! :party

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Well, it has been an interesting day so far. I sat down at the computer this morning for a few minutes before work. Simon's alarm goes off at 6:00 and I need to leave by 6:05. At 6:10 I realized he was not up yet. I went in his room and woke him up and left the house. I called him from the car and he sounded extremely groggy and said something about hitting his head. I asked him to look in the mirror and see if his pupils were the same size. He said he couldn't tell. Then he took his shower.

About 1:30 this afternoon I get a call from the school nurse saying he was in her office. He had felt faint during his 5th hour class. I brought him home and called the clinic. They told me to take him to the ER because if he needed a CAT SCAN they would not be able to give it and would send him on there anyway. The ER doctor did not think a CAT SCAN was necessary and tries to avoid it on kids and teenagers. But the symptoms were consistent with a concussion and the cuts on the back of his head were consistent with what we said happened.

Paul, however, did not seem to think that hitting his head on the dresser while getting up off the floor would be enough to give him a concussion. It almost sounded like an accusation that I was making up the story. But he did say he could see Simon getting a concussion from sword fighting with his friends. He also asked why Simon was sleeping on the floor. I reminded him that the mattress on Simon's bed was a birthday present to him 12 years ago when he moved out of a toddler bed and was rated for children only. Simon is now taller than either Paul or me. He no longer has a child size body. Of course, Paul stated that was no longer his responsibility; Simon has a bed at his house that he sleeps in. I really wish that I could afford to buy Si a new mattress right now, but with my surgery coming up and needing 4 weeks off work for that, I don't know when I will be able to afford one.

My tradition has been to take the boys out to eat for my birthday and Mother's Day to "train" them for when they have the income to take me out. I was thinking that this year we might go to someplace cheap -- Noodles or Qdoba rather that Red Lobster or Olive Garden like I usually take them. But now I am not sure Simon can take the atmosphere of going out or the food. The doctor did recommend bland foods even though he has not had any nausea and has had an appitite.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:51 pm

Okay, where's the cake and ice cream---or am I too late for the party!?! :cry: :shock: :P

:birthday to YOU, Joanney! Praying you have an unexpectedly delightful day to fill up your joy bank. 8)

Since our oldest grandchild, Katie, is getting married Friday, I wanted to try out Daisy Nails, this week. Imagine my delight to discover Vietnamese people running the local shop! I told them the last time I had a pedicure was in Saigon! (That was a way long time ago!) So, I had the works, and I even talked Howard into getting a pedicure and manicure - something he's NEVER done before! (I convinced him after his bypass surgery, he needs some pampering.) We imagine that Katie will get a big hoot out of that news, since our excuse is we did it just for her wedding.

My feet feel sooooooooooooooo good! And, I won't be bashful about wearing my new sandals to the outdoor wedding.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:56 pm

It appears we were posting at the same time, Joanney. I'm so sorry about Simon, but hope & pray all is well and he feels better by now. If today doesn't work for eating out, you can celebrate a "12 Days of Birthday" and postpone the cafe a day or two! :wink:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:57 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOANNEY!!!

:party :birthday :party

I'm sorry that simon isn't feeling well today. Don't worry...he will be back in action soon.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Joanney wrote:

He also asked why Simon was sleeping on the floor. I reminded him that the mattress on Simon's bed was a birthday present to him 12 years ago when he moved out of a toddler bed and was rated for children only. Simon is now taller than either Paul or me. He no longer has a child size body. Of course, Paul stated that was no longer his responsibility; Simon has a bed at his house that he sleeps in. I really wish that I could afford to buy Si a new mattress right now, but with my surgery coming up and needing 4 weeks off work for that, I don't know when I will be able to afford one.

Joanney, I don't know if this would help, but here are my thoughts. Years ago I built a sleeping loft for my daughter to use in her college dorm room. Well, she only used it two years before moving into an apartment. The loft is long since gone, but I still have the mattress stored here at home in dry conditions.

I had the mattress custom built to fit the loft, which was slightly narrower than a twin bed. The matress is firm and good quality. It measures 36" wide x 72" long and is about 7+" thick. If it would be useful for Simon, then, it is yours free for the taking. Your strong, resident young men would only need to carry it up from our basement and place it into your van.

Let me know...

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler