To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:34 am

Betty, that's a great recipe. I added it up and figure it has 129,540 calories. But it will relieve your stress because you'll be dead by 2 pm if you have it for lunch and corpses don't get nervous about nuthin. :rockon

Great job, dearheart. Any more recipes??? What do you recommend for zits from eating all that chocolate? :rolling :superhappy :party :love2 :christmas2 :heehee
Mariane Holbrook

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:43 am

BeachGrandma wrote:Betty, that's a great recipe. I added it up and figure it has 129,540 calories. But it will relieve your stress because you'll be dead by 2 pm if you have it for lunch and corpses don't get nervous about nuthin. :rockon

Great job, dearheart. Any more recipes??? What do you recommend for zits from eating all that chocolate? :rolling :superhappy :party :love2 :christmas2 :heehee

Don't worry about the calories. It's been scientifically proven that stress burns up calories. It won't kill you unless you have more than four in one day.

As for the zits...rice cake scrub, of course. Just plane those puppies across your cheeks. They actually sell them three to a package in the health and beauty section of your local discount store. They're called Zits Be Gone.

Stay tuned for more recipes. Might be a while or a day or two. (I *know* you can't wait.)
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:39 pm

Welcome Cassie. We're delighted you joined us!

Happy Birthday, dear friend Dee. I'm so thankful for our FW introducued wonderful friendship.

Sis J, you can hang with us any time.

Hello to Joanney--we miss you.

And, Mariane, as for diet...I bought a new scale and immediately weighed 6 pounds more. At least, there shouldn't be any surprises when weighing at the doctor's office.

Betty, you're my kind of cook.

What someone told me about diet is--if it tastes good, don't eat it.

Greetings to ALL my porch pals, and here's a joke to leave with you. Have you heard this one, Edy?

Ole and Leena had really 'packed on the pounds' by over-eating during Christmas and the New Year's Holidays, so their doctor put them on the same diet. "I want you to eat regularly for 2 days, then skip a day, and repeat this procedure for 2 weeks. The next time I see you, you should have lost at least 5 pounds."

When the Norwegians returned, they shocked their doctor by having lost nearly 25 POUNDS each. "Why, that's positively amazing!" the doctor said. "Did you follow my instructions?"

Then Ole and Leena nodded and said.. . .. . "We vant to tell you though, we taut we was gonna drop dead dat 3rd day.""From hunger, you mean?". . .. .. . . . . . . . . . . . ."No, yust from all dat skippin"
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:43 pm

P.S. to my message...some people have a hard time spelling "introduced."
hmmmmmmmmmmmm wonder who?
Verna

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:55 pm

:lol: Hehe, cute Ole and Lena joke. I'm not Norwegian, but I live in an area of Wisconsin that is heavily populated with Norwegians. So, I've heard a lot of Ole and Lena jokes, but this is a new one to me.

Dee

Postby Dee » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:04 pm

My oh my! I haven't been on the porch in a long while, but Verna invited me to check out the extension and I'm blessed to have a birthday greeting, too! :mrgreen:

Thanks, also for the prayers for my Dad. He's still in ICU-critical but stable. I hope the roads will get plowed enough so that we can go see him today. It's weird to think I was born in that same hospital fifty--uh--some odd years ago today. :D

Well, I want to go back and catch up on what is happening with all of you...7 pages isn't so daunting! Great to visit on the Southern porch again!

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Happy Birthday dear Dee. Check out your thread in the water cooler. Praying for your dad, too.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Dee

Postby Dee » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:23 pm

I have a thread on the water cooler? :shock:

Good to see the reincarnated you, Betty! I've GOT to get on here more often!

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:15 pm

Happy birthday today, Dee!!!

:birthday

Praying today for your dad's recovery as well.

God bless!

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

AnnF
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby AnnF » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:16 pm

Thanks, Edy, for the invitation to sit on the porch. My family had a wonderful holiday, but it didn't take long for the problems of 2008 to creep into the new year.

Many good wishes and hugs coming your way!

Cassie

Postby Cassie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:36 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Happy birthday, Dee, and I hope you Dad gets well soon.

SisJ, you most certainly can have a kitten. We have been diligently searching for homes for them. Our own kitties are, Bella, Thomas, Lois, and Sassy. The visitors who are wearing out their welcome, but we hate to tell them so, are Mama, Bubby, Sissie, Captain, Socks, and Buddy. Then there's a newer visitor outside named Nelly and I'm afraid if she doesn't go home soon, she'll be bringing more visitors along! Because there are a couple of guys who visit her once in a while :( Wish I had mega bucks, I'd take care of all these visitors!

Perhaps Betty's chocolate cocktail might help in elimin.....I mean, convincing some of these visitors to leave. I hate to be inhospitable but $100 a month for cat food and cat litter has got to stop! I wish people would stop being so unkind as to drop these poor babies at our back door. :(

I just had my birthday several weeks ago. Nov. 19th. I was telling everyone I was going to be 58, till I said it in front of my mother. She convinced me that I was actually going to be 57! LOL! I must be getting old when my Mom has to remind me how old I am! :D

BTW, I hear that rice cakes are great to use on roughened heels too, much cheaper than a Ped-egg! And the added mix of jam and cream cheese is a great skin softener! :D
I pride myself on my humility, after all! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: --Arthur D. Bardswell

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he isn't, and a sense
of humor to console him for what he is." -Unknown

I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=14703

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:25 pm

On this Saturday afternoon let's focus our thoughts, hearts and minds on Jesus who loves and cares for us. The One Who watches over us and provides for our every need. And...one day through Him and in Him alone we will sing praises while walking hand in hand with Him on those streets of gold. Oh, what a day that will be!

Thank You, Lord Jesus...thank You! Do I hear an AMEN to that?

Don

"Oh,What A Savior" by Ernie Haase & Signature Sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iWY_hXW8Kg

"Then Came The Morning" by Ernie Haase & Signature Sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFjVXrRKwsU

"It Is Well With My Soul" by Wesley Pritchard & David Phelps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPFVijGcLtI
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:31 pm

Amen, Don..."It Is Well with My Soul" was my favorite of your good selections.
Verna

SisJ

Postby SisJ » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:48 pm

Amen, yes. Now I'm hearing "When We All Get To Heaven" in my head, and that's a wonderful song to have there. :D

Dee, good to see you! Happy, happy birthday. :birthday
Here's a birthday hug: :hugs2

Teresa, thank you. I do the "hey, y'all" version a lot, too. :D

Laurie, you're reacting to flour but not to wheat or gluten? What kind of flour do you get? Is it bleached or does it have malted barley flour or something added to make it work better? I thought I was sensitive to wheat or gluten for a while but seem to be doing okay with it now. I can't have most store-bought bread, though, because of the additives (soy oil, soy flour, malted barley flour, other dough conditioners, preservatives, etc.), and I eat mostly quick breads but when I have yeast bread I don't use the quick-rising yeast, and this strategy seems to be working for me.

Cassie, thanks for the virtual kitten. We have two cats here, Baby and Buddy. Baby is our own cat--Amy's, actually. Buddy just hung around so long we finally took him to the vet for shots. The vet was a little scared of him, and so were we, but it turns out he's pretty personable, although he bullies Baby once in a while (takes over her favorite resting spot and things like that). Then there's a mangy white bob-tailed cat that hangs around, but we don't want to adopt him. My own kitty has been gone for a few years now.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." ~ John 1: 1, 14

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:40 pm

It's great to see you here, Dee, and I hope your birthday has been pleasant so far. You have many friends in FW who love you dearly and all of us with one voice sing "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR DEE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU" :birthday

WELCOME, Ann! It's so good to see you. Help yourself to all the goodies which are piled high on every table but covered so Ole Blue doesn't make a pig of himself. And the puppies will eat everything that isn't nailed to the floor, so whatever is left, Ann, you're welcome to enjoy!

Have I ever got a praise report for you all this afternoon! John said he had to drive to a nearby town and wanted to know if I would like to go along for the ride since it's an absolutely gorgeous day here in N.C.

On the way home in mid-afternoon, the car started careening and fishtailing all over the road, crossed the center line briefly then went off the road on the passenger side, where he quickly brought it to a stop in the grass. A 4 inch square hole had blown out on the side of the tire. The first thing we did was start thanking the Lord, that the traffic on that busy highway was light in mid-afternoon or John might have hit an approaching vehicle head-on when he crossed the center line. Then we thanked the Lord that it wasn't dark because this was a wooded area out in the country with no houses for several miles. We thanked God that John was able to keep the car under control until he could bring it to a safe stop and that neither of us was injured at all. I've been in three very serious vehicle accidents and I never want to do that again.

John was kneeling beside the car trying to get the tire off when a new white truck passed us,then turned around and came back. A young father and his 11 year old son jumped out of the truck and the dear boy said to us "I saw that you were having car trouble so I asked Dad if we could come back and help you." They were the kindest father and son! The dad took our spare down the road for a mile to his house and gave it some more air so we could get home ok (another 35 miles, I would guess). When they had finished, John took out his wallet to pay them and they both adamantly refused but John convinced the father to let his son accept some payment and the boy was tickled to death.

Things here at home are quiet, John is watching the playoffs on television and I'm going to stretch out for a little nap. But it could just as easily have been a very different scene here this afternoon if we hadn't been under the umbrella of God's protection. John was driving about 60 mph and if he had hit someone head on when he crossed the center line, real tragedy would likely have occurred.

God is so good. All the time. With my whole heart I praise Him. Thank You, thank You, thank You, Father!!! Amen
Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler