To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Cruise Control

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Shann

Cruise Control

Postby Shann » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:24 am

After 25 years of marriage, Chris and I are celebrating by going on a cruise soon from Baltimore to Florida to Nassau to Freeport and returning in a week to Baltimore. I'm a bit anxious so thought I might make it a game. If you were cruising in December to those locations, what would you highly suggest I pack? I've read a zillion articles, but thought it might be fun to puT it in a game format.

Since I'm a very pale redhead (which leaves me prone to sunburn and seasickness), sunscreen and no puke meds are on the list, but if you have a favorite brand or other suggestions, please toss them out. I also need to take my CPAP machine, but I'm worried about forgetting other important things. Also I sleep with a huge u shape pregnancy pillow that goes everywhere with me. Unfortunately, it won't fit this trip, so any ideas on how to make do without a 37 pound pillow... I also want to take come of my crafts, but don't want to over pack so what relaxation items would you suggest? And because it will be in single digits up north and maybe get as high as 65 to 70 in the south, I'm struggling to decide what type of clothes to pack.

I'll start ya off... Shann's going on a cruise and she should definitely pack...
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Cruise Control

Postby deejay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:36 pm

Puzzle books and pencils, plus a sharpener.

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:03 pm

It may be even warmer than that in the southern leg of your cruise, so pack clothes for very warm weather.

The cruise line that I used a few years ago required that you dress up a bit for dinner, if you weren't eating in the buffet areas. Nice slacks and a blouse or sweater are fine if you don't care for dresses; it's not necessary to be totally formal. Just no jeans or shorts, no tee-shirts or sweatshirts.

Be aware that unless you're in port, you won't be able to get online much, unless you buy the ship's wifi package (very expensive).

If you're taking shore excursions (which I highly recommend), you won't really have time for crafts. And there's plenty to do onboard. Look into the free classes and lessons, and the nighttime entertainment (also free).
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:54 pm

I have no idea what to even begin to suggest, but have a GREAT time! And congrats :).
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks guys. I do plan on taking some of my coloring stuff and paints just because of my health problems if I'm not up to doing something, I can chill by the pool. But I'm not going to take very much because I think I will enjoy the ship's activities.

It will definitely be warm (and I tend to be hot anyway). Although I'm struggling with how much cool and warm clothes to take. The high is supposed to be 70s and we are leaving from Baltimore so I'll need a mix, plus we are supposed to be sailing back into a very cool week (near 0 here). I have sweaters and clothes I can layer.

They have 2 formal nights, which I'm kind of dreading, but did pack a couple of dresses.

Last time I went, I was in HS and deathly seasick so I'm really nervous about that. Right now we aren't planning on too many shore excursions. We might change our minds depending on weather, but right now they didn't offer much that appeals to us both. We'll see though.

I was so excited to go horseback riding on the beach and swim in the ocean, but we were looking at two different cruises and decided on the one that doesn't go into that port. I'd like to swim with dolphins, but my husband really doesn't want to.

The wifi package is ridiculous. I was impressed when my hubby said no he didn't want it. When we were gone for Thanksgiving, he missed dinner one night because work called him, so he just told them he'd have no access to internet or phone! He's a computer geek so I'm impressed. So I won't be in here for a short spell, but will be thinking of you all. :D

Jan, did you get seasick? I'm so nervous because of last time, but I'm hoping boats have gotten more stable in 30 years. I have both patches and pills. I get seasick on a lake. We are on the 4th deck, but near the back of the ship. Hopefully the meds and weather will be okay. Last time, we were in a storm that sunk a coal ship and 9 people died. My sister was only one in family who didn't get sick. People had life vests and clutching Bibles in all the lobbies. I said I'd never go again, but my husband wanted to so when we got married I promised him I would.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:14 pm

Shann wrote:
Jan, did you get seasick? I'm so nervous because of last time, but I'm hoping boats have gotten more stable in 30 years. I have both patches and pills. I get seasick on a lake. We are on the 4th deck, but near the back of the ship. Hopefully the meds and weather will be okay. Last time, we were in a storm that sunk a coal ship and 9 people died. My sister was only one in family who didn't get sick. People had life vests and clutching Bibles in all the lobbies. I said I'd never go again, but my husband wanted to so when we got married I promised him I would.

I don't generally get seasick, but my husband does. He had prescription patches, but he still felt a bit queasy for the first day. After that, the patches did the trick.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:02 pm

Ginger is good for nausea too.

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:30 pm

Take a sweat suit, they are good in all weather. You can keep warm in the cool air, and in the warm... stretch out on a deck chair and tell folks you are taking a break from exersizes. :wink:

You WILL have fun, and that's an order! Just relax and enjoy yourself. Do take a camera, just in case you see any UFOs on the ocean. (They love that area in the winter months.) And if... by chance... your ship gets taken up by the aliens, be sure to mention my name. :mrgreen:

Oh, and let them know I need a power converter for my anti-grav. It has been on the fritz for years.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Sorry Pup, no aliens. Chris was hoping for a lightning storm! The trip was wonderful. I only had a couple of queasy days. The worst was the last day in Port! I think that was just stress and dehydration though. It was a wonderful trip. It was in the 90s in the Bahamas and it was snowing in Georgia! We were just ahead of the bad weather. We are both looking forward to going again!
Shann

Shann's Profile

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:43 am

Pictures?
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Postby Shann » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:59 am

Did you forget who you were speaking too? I think Chris took some, but I have no idea how to share them!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Return to The Water Cooler