To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

SPAM STORM

General information for members, new and old, about the forums and main site.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne

RedBaron

Re: SPAM STORM

Postby RedBaron » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:52 pm

The email was probably a notice of a reply to that post if you subscribed to it.

Spammers post random, unrelated things on websites, in hopes people will click on links that usually leads to websites that pay per click for advertising or just flat out selling something.

Hackers do things to actively try to gain illegal access to websites and computers, usually to try to get access to financial information.

lish1936 wrote:I'm just wondering if the "storm" caused by spammers had any impact on or access to personal e-mail addresses. I just received an e-mail from a "Mike" that had the subject of one of the posts: "What, Me With Cancer?" I didn't open the e-mail because usually any notices of new post are identified as coming from Faithwriters, not a Mike.

:D Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference, if any, between a Spammer and a Hacker?

Lillian
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mikeedwards » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:26 pm

Hi Lillian,

They just had access to the forums like any regular member. They did not have access to admin or the main site. I actually get many emails at FW from address that I recognize that are not from that person. I am not sure how they are able to make an email look like it is coming from somone you know. I did not send you the email you mentioned.

Blessings, Mike
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:45 pm

Actually, all my update notices have come from Mike the last few days. I didn't think anything of it because I receive emails often from him. I just figured it was something having to do with the computer changes. My guess, Lillian is you commented in the thread from Al (in the prayer requests forums) called, What me with cancer? And it was just notifying you that someone else posted since you last visited.

You'll probably get another one from Mike at FW saying there has been activity in Spam Storm.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mikeedwards » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi Shann,

You just helped me notice that the emails from the forums are coming from me. I should be able to change that back.

This means that the email you received from me Lillian was actually from the forums so you could have opened it.

Going to correct it now.

Thanks, Mike

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby deejay » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:22 pm

I have a Mike@faithwriters.com in my inbox. Good thing I decided to go through Faithwriters after checking a reply to one of my posts in Prayer Requests. I saw this and decided to read it. Also good I decided to read my emails from the bottom up.

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mikeedwards » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:47 pm

That should be corrected now and the email from the forums will be from the forums.

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:01 pm

You're right, it is. :thumbs

oursilverstrands

Postby oursilverstrands » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:56 am

Thanks for all the replies. It's strange, but I never received e-mails about the last four postings, or maybe it was the one from Mike that I never opened. :roll:

Oh well, I guess we're back to normal. :clap

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Previous

Return to FaithWriters Information/Announcements