To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Searching for a Mentor

General information for members, new and old, about the forums and main site.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne

CeCeliaL
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Searching for a Mentor

Postby CeCeliaL » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:07 pm

My name is Cecelia. I joined a long time ago. I decided I need to search for a mentor. I am looking for another writer, a female, who can help me figure out where I need to go with my writing. I write Christian devotions and essays. If you believe this is something you'd like to do, please let me know.

E-mail:cll4himATsbcglobalDOTnet

:thankssign

Laurie
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Searching for a Mentor

Postby Laurie » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:16 pm

Welcome to FaithWriters. :) This is a nice place to hone your skills and learn about the writing world. I don't do the kind of writing you do, but there are others here who do. Would you like to share some of your writing goals or do you have some specific questions we can try to answer for you? :)

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi Cecelia. Welcome to FaithWriters.

One problem with finding a mentor is often that they are busy writing, editing, publishing. Another problem is that someone may offer to act as that, but may not necessarily have the skill to help you. The best case scenario is finding someone with the skill and the time to help you.

However, one of the best ways to hone your skills is to read a lot of other people's writing. As you do, always be considering why something does or doesn't work. If you find yourself engrossed from start to finish, what was it about that writing that hit the mark. If you want to click off the page straight away, ask the same thing. What was turning you off? People who turn on their critique brain when reading articles at FaithWriters will gain a lot from the experience.

At FaithWriters there are also quite a few other ways to hone your skills. You could try entering the Writing Challenge (which begins back next Thursday) and asking for red ink critique on your entry. That can provide great feedback to help you.

Another way, related to the Challenge, is to ask to join a Challenge Buddy Group. Or start one. The best way to grow as a writer is to not just be critiqued, but to also learn through critiquing others.

Last of all, depending on your level of membership at FaithWriters, you could submit your work to the Critique Circle.

All things you can do whether someone volunteers to be a mentor or not. :D

In the meantime, why not post a link to your profile page here at FaithWriters. If you do that, I'll try and pop over and read some of your material.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

KatKane
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby KatKane » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:00 am

Hi there! I joined FaithWriters in August because of the challenge. I can definitely verify what Deb says about what the writing challenge can do in terms of helping you grow as a writer. I joined a challenge buddy group and it was the best thing I could have done. I learnt a huge amount already, and I see the difference between my first few entries and my most recent ones. The other really good places on the forums are Jan's Writing Basics and Ann's Grammar Basics. Both of these ladies are incredible writers and have won the challenge many times over. I've learnt a great deal just through reading their work. You've come to the right place to find opportunities to grow and people to support you here :D
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=65595

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." Martin Luther

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi Cecelia,

I agree that entering the challenge and participatating in the Critique Circle is the best way to get feedback. I do help edit some of FW devotions and now that my part in editing the testimony book is done (Whoo-hoo!), I have some extra time and would be happy to give you some feedback. Just send me a PM if you're interested. Also, check out Jan's Writing Basics. She has lessons on devotion writing. If you post in any of her threads she is really good about leaving feedback. Another thing is read as many articles as you can and if you find someone whose style you really admire, drop them a PM and ask if they'd be willing to look at one of your pieces. The most they can do is say no. Good luck.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Return to FaithWriters Information/Announcements