To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Hey Y'all... From SC!

A place for new members to introduce themselves and to be welcomed to the FaithWriters' Community. Don't be shy. We love meeting new brothers and sisters in Christ.

Moderators: beaedwards, RedBaron, Shann

BEING
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Hey Y'all... From SC!

Postby BEING » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:04 am

HEY!!!

I'm Shawanda... married, one son, part-time work at a drug & alcohol treatment center. I've been doing some small-time writing for years now, mostly for our church's magazine. I'm trying to delve a little deeper into this writing thing. Not sure of how far it will go, but it is all for God's glory...

This site seems so rich with tips and suggestions. There are writers on every level here, and I am glad that I stumbled upon the site... thanks for having me!
Total dependence on God is what I'm aiming for...

Check out my new blog: www.createdbeing.blogspot.com

RachelM
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Hey Y'all... From SC!

Postby RachelM » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:31 am

Hi Shawanda! Welcome to FaithWriters! This is a great place to grow and be encouraged as a writer. I hope you will be blessed here as much as I have been!

I'm married with 6 kids--ages 2-14 and live in B.C. Canada.

There is a weekly writing challenge here that is great for getting you to write regularly and on a specific topic. It's also tons of fun! I look forward to seeing you on the boards. God bless!
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:25 am

Hi Shawanda, welcome to FW! I'm so excited that you found us and even have started exploring. It's a huge site and you're correct about the things you can learn here. I've learned the most from other members. My favorite thing to do is read and comment on the writing challenge. I've learned much about what I like or what might not work and have been able to apply it to my work. I've also received amazing feedback from others and advice that helped so much.

Another huge blessing is the friends I've made. I didn't think it was possible to have such close friends from all over the world. I talk to many on a regular basis. Next is having my stories published or being ready to publish. Seven stories won an Editor's Choice in the challenge and my testimony is in the FW book, Triumph Over Trials anthology. There is another testimony contest now !

FW is an awesome site. It can be a tad overwhelming because it's so big, but here are some tips for you about the forums and some other favorite spots.

People here are of all ages and have experience ranging from virtually none to having published some books. I think it's amazing how the people with more experience are so willing to help those with less. I'll forever be grateful for all the things people here have taught me.

The Critique Circle is a great place for paid members to receive a detailed critique on their work. Just recently, they have allowed members to pay so much a page for detailed feedback. This is for silver members or members who want a critique but don't have the time to critique someone else's work. That's how the circle works. Each time you leave feedback, you receive a credit to allow you to post a piece and to get a constructive critique. I've found that by leaving feedback for others, I also learn a great deal about what works or doesn't work in my own writing.

You also may want to check out the blogging contest. The word blog used to scare me, but now I've learned that it isn't that big of a deal. The prize is paid writing assignments plus having your article published on 100 blogs.

We are also doing a testimony contest where the top 50 testimonies will be selected for a book. I was part of the first book and it was a wonderful experience.

FW is a great place to meet other Christians and writers. I also think it's awesome because there is people with all kinds of experience here from having published book to having never really written much at all. You may want to check out the Southern Porch and see if you can find others from your neck of the world. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23748&start=22860
I live in Western New York, but have a son who has fallen in love with North Carolina, especially the winters (go figure). He is at Duke getting his Masters in Divinity as he has started the process of becoming a United Methodist minister. I also have a married daughter who works as a family based counselor for troubled kids. Her dream though is to be an elementary school counselor. The younger daughter is going to college to be a teacher, but she also dreams of joining the Peace Corps.

People here are great encouragers and willing to share their knowledge with others. The Open Forum is a great place to ask questions about writing and publishing.

You also can find a wealth of info and a variety of people on the boards. It's also a great way to make friends. A great place for writing tips can be found at Jan's Writing Basics. It might be a bit overwhelming to post at first, but I'd urge you to bite the bullet and jump in. Jan is wonderful at giving invaluable feedback to everyone who tries her thread and posts their "homework."

Also The Water Cooler is a great place to meet people. They have topics that range from regional areas to just popping in to say hi. In the Water Cooler section they have a regional sections I mentioned.
Another great place to go is Prayer Requests. It's wonderful to be able to request prayer and to lift others up in need.

Fw is much like a family. There is something for everyone. The people encourage, support, and love each other. Welcome to the family!

I hope I gave you some places to start. The site is huge and there are so many wonderful things here. You may want to check out the FAQ thread as that may answer many of your questions.

Have fun exploring, jump into conversations and don't be afraid to ask any questions. :welcome
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Hesalive12
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Hesalive12 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:14 pm

Hey Shawanda, My name is Chuck and I am a Newbie also. Just entered my 2nd Writing Challenge. Love the feedback that I get. Without some criticism how are you going to grow? Good luck in your writing.

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi and :welcome
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:12 pm

Welcome to FW.

Jump in, the water is grand and the company great.

Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

BEING
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby BEING » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! :thankssign
Total dependence on God is what I'm aiming for...

Check out my new blog: www.createdbeing.blogspot.com

Return to Newbie Nook