To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Hi

A place for new members to introduce themselves and to be welcomed to the FaithWriters' Community. Don't be shy. We love meeting new brothers and sisters in Christ.

Moderators: beaedwards, RedBaron, Shann

mummatoni
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Hi

Postby mummatoni » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:36 am

Hi I am new here, Deb recommended it on Aussie fb page for writers and I asked how do you know if ever good enough. We'll I am here gonna get my dreams instead of shelving it. I will he honest I was teaching and my dyslexia played havoc with uni and my confidence. But I love to write. I love Jesus and I am most days bed bound or in a wheelchair with chronic pain so I been praying for something I can do always yearned to write. So forgetting what been told and going for it. Look forward to getting to know you. I am very out my comfort zone here but only have to be for a bit hey. :)
Bye
Toni

RedBaron

Re: Hi

Postby RedBaron » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:39 am

Hi and :welcome
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

mummatoni
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby mummatoni » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:04 pm

Thanks matey

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:04 pm

Hey there, Toni. Welcome to the forums. Have you signed up over at FaithWriters itself, as well? (http://www.faithwriters.com) Once you get into the Challenge, you'll get loads of encouragement and help.

The topic this week is nearly finished (closes on Friday morning in the wee small hours for us here in Australia), but we have one more left for this quarter, and that will be announced at the same time the other topic closes. The current topic is "Voted off the Island," but you might be pushing it to write something and get it submitted in time for that.

This is the link to the Writing Challenge main page:

http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. There's usually someone around who can help point you in the right direction.

We'll be cheering you on. :D

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Shann

Postby Shann » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:42 am

Hi Toni, welcome to FW. I'm delighted you found Deb's post and followed it here. She is an amazing person and one of the back bones of the site. I'm sorry to hear of your chronic pain and being bedridden. There are quite a few people here with health problems. When I joined FW over four years ago, we had a lot in common. I was in bed about 80 percent of the time. I walked with a cane and ended up in the hospital as often as every 6 weeks to 3 months. God has worked amazing miracles in me and a lot of my blessings have come from FW. First, I quickly found a new family who prayed for me and encouraged me. I also learned God gave me the gift of writing as a way to deal with the pain. Because of the challenge, I started writing every week, then I started leaving feedback, and people would ask me to help edit something they were working on. Next thing I knew I started getting paying jobs to edit all because of the wonderful people at FW. After being sick for 25 years, things started looking up. I am doing quite a bit of editing and have published a picture book. I no longer walk with a cane, am more active, and wasn't in the hospital once in 2012 and only twice in 2013. I'm not sure what God's plan is for you and I'll pray that he blesses you like he did with me.

FW is an awesome site, but can be a tad overwhelming because it's so big, but here are some tips for you. Don't worry about being nervous, we all remember that elephant trumping around in our stomachs when we first started sharing our work with virtual strangers. People here are of all ages and have experience ranging from virtually none to having published some books. We also have all kinds of genres. My favorite is children's books, but we have devotions to Biblical fiction to testimonials and how to books to sci-fi and romance.

The biggest draw to FW would be the writing challenge. A new topic starts on Thursdays This quarter will end in a week or two, but after a short respite, it'll start up with a new theme. It's always challenging to write on a topic, and for me to meet a deadline and keep it under 750 words. I can be a tad wordy, but the challenge has helped that for sure. Writers often think we have to impress other writers, but the truth is it's all about the reader.

Check out the free read for review section. In exchange for a free ebook or pdf, the reader agrees to leave a honest review on Amazon and other places the book may be listed. For me, I've learned a lot by reading as much as possible. It helps me learn what I like and what doesn't work for me and then I can apply it to my own writing. Shortly after joining, I decided to challenge myself to read and comment on every challenge entry. It hasn't been easy, but it has made me more aware. I make a point of starting with positive things, then if I have constructive feedback, I'll leave that next and then end with positive. It's not always easy, but it's always possible. I've learned that I can take things away from a story or article even if I don't agree with the author or it's written in a genre I'm not totally crazy about.

If you become a Gold or Platinum member you might want to check out the Critique Circle. It's one of my favorite spots and really is the best place to get honest feedback.

FW is a great place to meet other Christians and writers. I also think it's awesome because there is people with all kinds of experience here from having published book to having never really written much at all. People here are great encouragers and willing to share their knowledge with others. The Open Forum is a great place to ask questions about writing and publishing.

You also can find a wealth of info and a variety of people on the boards. It's also a great way to make friends. One of, if not the single, best spot for writing tips can be found at Jan's Writing Basics. It might be a bit overwhelming to post at first, but I'd urge you to bite the bullet and jump in. Jan is wonderful at giving invaluable feedback to everyone who tries her thread and posts their "homework."

Also The Water Cooler is a great place to meet people. They have topics that range from regional areas to just popping in to say hi. Another great place to go is Prayer Requests. It's wonderful to be able to request prayer and to lift others up in need.

Fw is much like a family. Speaking of family...we even have a kids site so if you know any from 7 to 15, have them check it out. Here is the link for that: http://faithwriterskidsforum.faithwriters.com
There is something for everyone. The people encourage, support, and love each other. Welcome to the family!

I hope I gave you some places to start. The site is huge and there are so many wonderful things here. You may want to check out the FAQ thread as that may answer many of your questions.

Have fun exploring, jump into conversations and don't be afraid to ask any questions. :welcome
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

merrimj1122
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby merrimj1122 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:58 pm

:welcome Hi, welcome I know you will enjoy this site!
As Shann said, there are people in FW with health problems, I am one of them who also has been bedridden and still struggling, but praise God He also has brought out in me the love for writing again as therapy! He has done many miracles in the past, and still doing miracles, and I know along the way, that writing is a wonderful way to get through.
I pray for you and your health and FW new journey, blessings, Mar

RachelM
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby RachelM » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:40 am

Welcome to FaithWriters, Toni! This is a great place to grow and be encouraged as a writer. The Weekly Writing Challenge is fun and it gets you writing every week. I look forward to seeing you on the forum!
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Return to Newbie Nook