To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

just saying hi

A place for new members to introduce themselves and to be welcomed to the FaithWriters' Community. Don't be shy. We love meeting new brothers and sisters in Christ.

Moderators: beaedwards, RedBaron, Shann

NancyLynn
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

just saying hi

Postby NancyLynn » Sat May 31, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi yall,I am from the South.I am new to writing for the public but I feel That God me to thjs work.So I am kinda scared but with God anything is possible . :bow

RedBaron

Re: just saying hi

Postby RedBaron » Sat May 31, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi and :welcome

If you have questions, just ask :) Check out the Writing Challenge, if you haven't already :)
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Shann

Re: just saying hi

Postby Shann » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:13 am

Hi Nancy Lynn! Welcome to the FW! It is truly a great site. I've been a member for over four years and have been blessed beyond my wildest expectations. I've made lifetime friends, learned so much about writing,was referred as an editor and now am editing professionally, and even gotten some of my work published.

I have no doubt God led you to this site for a specific reason and not only will you be blessed my FW, but FW will be blessed by you! I was just down south at the end of May. My son is at Duke pursuing his Masters in Divinity and has started the process of becoming a United Methodist minister. He loves North Carolina, so we booked a week on Atlantic Beach and Q(my son's name is Quinten and his nickname is Q) drove over to spend some time on the beach with his little sister and Mom and Dad. My husband would love to move there, especially after the harsh winter western NY experienced.

FW is an awesome site, but can be a tad overwhelming because it's so big, but here are some tips for you. Don't worry about being nervous, we all remember that elephant trumping around in our stomachs when we first started sharing our work with virtual strangers. People here are of all ages and have experience ranging from virtually none to having published some books. We also have all kinds of genres. My favorite is children's books, but we have devotions to Biblical fiction to testimonials and how to books to sci-fi and romance.

The biggest draw to FW would be the writing challenge. A new topic starts on Thursdays This quarter will end in a week or two, but after a short respite, it'll start up with a new theme. It's always challenging to write on a topic, and for me to meet a deadline and keep it under 750 words. I can be a tad wordy, but the challenge has helped that for sure. Writers often think we have to impress other writers, but the truth is it's all about the reader.

Check out the free read for review section. In exchange for a free ebook or pdf, the reader agrees to leave a honest review on Amazon and other places the book may be listed. For me, I've learned a lot by reading as much as possible. It helps me learn what I like and what doesn't work for me and then I can apply it to my own writing. Shortly after joining, I decided to challenge myself to read and comment on every challenge entry. It hasn't been easy, but it has made me more aware. I make a point of starting with positive things, then if I have constructive feedback, I'll leave that next and then end with positive. It's not always easy, but it's always possible. I've learned that I can take things away from a story or article even if I don't agree with the author or it's written in a genre I'm not totally crazy about.

If you become a Gold or Platinum member you might want to check out the Critique Circle. It's one of my favorite spots and really is the best place to get honest feedback.

FW is a great place to meet other Christians and writers. I also think it's awesome because there is people with all kinds of experience here from having published book to having never really written much at all. People here are great encouragers and willing to share their knowledge with others. The Open Forum is a great place to ask questions about writing and publishing.

You also can find a wealth of info and a variety of people on the boards. It's also a great way to make friends. One of, if not the single, best spot for writing tips can be found at Jan's Writing Basics. It might be a bit overwhelming to post at first, but I'd urge you to bite the bullet and jump in. Jan is wonderful at giving invaluable feedback to everyone who tries her thread and posts their "homework."

Also The Water Cooler is a great place to meet people. They have topics that range from regional areas to just popping in to say hi. You may want to check out the Southern Porch You don't have to be from the south to pop in, but since you are it might be fun to see if there are others from your neck of the woods. Another great place to go is Prayer Requests. It's wonderful to be able to request prayer and to lift others up in need.

Fw is much like a family. Speaking of family...we even have a kids site so if you know any from 7 to 15, have them check it out. Here is the link for that: http://faithwriterskidsforum.faithwriters.com
There is something for everyone. The people encourage, support, and love each other. Welcome to the family!

I hope I gave you some places to start. The site is huge and there are so many wonderful things here. You may want to check out the FAQ thread as that may answer many of your questions.

Have fun exploring, jump into conversations and don't be afraid to ask any questions. :welcome
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Return to Newbie Nook