To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

A place for new members to introduce themselves and to be welcomed to the FaithWriters' Community. Don't be shy. We love meeting new brothers and sisters in Christ.

Moderators: beaedwards, RedBaron, Shann

LeAnn
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby LeAnn » Sat May 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Hi everyone. I'm LeAnn Strickland Wright. God called me to be a writer about five years ago. It was a total shock because, as a youngster, I wasn't particularly fond of school. Now that I'm in my ??'s, I can't stop searching for knowledge...on everything!

I created a blog called The Writer's Cross a few years ago. It's totally from God. I asked Him, "why the Writer's Cross"? This is what was put on my heart. A cross is a symbol of something we carry, usually in the form of a burden. Well, writing has become a burden on my heart. I say this; because I am led to research current events. Current events, in this day and time, can be seen as catastrophic. That is if they are seen from a carnal viewpoint.

The cross I bear, as a writer, is to expose these events through scripture. If seen through the eyes of believers, they become reasons to celebrate. These events are prophesied throughout the Bible. As we put our trust in Jesus, we are to view these events as signs; signs that indicate things are going as planned. Jesus told us that when we see these events unfold, we are to rejoice. So let's do it. Let's rejoice!!!

I hope that you will take time to view "The Writer's Cross". And I look forward to becoming a part of the "Faith Writers" community.

:thankssign

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: From: The Writer's Cross

Postby Deb Porter » Sun May 18, 2014 2:31 am

Hello LeAnn. Welcome to FaithWriters. It sounds like you have a strong ministry there and I'm sure God is using your writing for His glory.

Make yourself at home, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There is usually someone around more than happy to point you in the right direction. :D

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

RachelM
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby RachelM » Sun May 18, 2014 2:36 am

Welcome LeAnn! I'm glad that you found FaithWriters. I joined about a year ago, and I've been blessed in countless ways through the people here. Check out the Weekly Writing Challenge. I look forward to seeing you on the boards. God bless!
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun May 18, 2014 8:50 am

Hi LeAnn, welcome to FW What a delight you are. It sounds as though God led you to the site. There is a wealth of information about writing here as well as many people who will help guide you on your way,

I've been a member for 4 years and I can't tell you all the wonderful things that have happened to me because of this site.

I think the biggest blessing is the friends I've made. I didn't think it was possible to have such close friends from all over the world. I talk to many on a regular basis. Next is having my stories published or being ready to publish. Seven stories won an Editor's Choice in the challenge and my testimony is in the FW book, Triumph Over Trials anthology. There is another testimony contest now !

FW is an awesome site. It can be a tad overwhelming because it's so big, but here are some tips for you about the forums and some other favorite spots.

People here are of all ages and have experience ranging from virtually none to having published some books. I think it's amazing how the people with more experience are so willing to help those with less. I'll forever be grateful for all the things people here have taught me.

The biggest draw to FW would be the writing challenge. There are four quarters each year with ten topics in each one that are related. One thing the challenge does is encourage me to think outside of the box. One of the best advice I ever received was once you see the topic, jot down the first five things you think of, then throw them away because it's likely what everyone else is thinking of too. If you really feel drawn to that idea, try to tell it from a fresh POV (point of view)

The word count limit has helped me learn to tighten my writing up quite a bit. The deadline has also helped me on my procrastination. I still wait to the last minute, but am writing on a more regular basis. There is also some excellent reading material there. I try to read and comment on every piece, though lately I haven't been able to do that as often as I would like.

Another great perk is the Critique Circle. It is a great place for paid members to receive a detailed critique on their work. Just recently, they have allowed members to pay so much a page for detailed feedback. This is for silver members or members who want a critique but don't have the time to critique someone else's work. That's how the circle works. Each time you leave feedback, you receive a credit to allow you to post a piece and to get a constructive critique. I've found that by leaving feedback for others, I also learn a great deal about what works or doesn't work in my own writing.

You also may want to check out the blogging contest. The word blog used to scare me, but now I've learned that it isn't that big of a deal. The prize is paid writing assignments plus having your article published on 100 blogs.

We are also doing a testimony contest where the top 50 testimonies will be selected for a book. I was part of the first book (due to be released any day) and it was a wonderful experience.

FW is a great place to meet other Christians and writers. I also think it's awesome because there is people with all kinds of experience here from having published book to having never really written much at all. People here are great encouragers and willing to share their knowledge with others. The Open Forum is a great place to ask questions about writing and publishing.

You also can find a wealth of info and a variety of people on the boards. It's also a great way to make friends. A great place for writing tips can be found at Jan's Writing Basics. It might be a bit overwhelming to post at first, but I'd urge you to bite the bullet and jump in. Jan is wonderful at giving invaluable feedback to everyone who tries her thread and posts their "homework."

Also The Water Cooler is a great place to meet people. They have topics that range from regional areas to just popping in to say hi. In the Water Cooler section they have a regional sections you might want to check out to see if there are people from your area. you.
Another great place to go is Prayer Requests. It's wonderful to be able to request prayer and to lift others up in need.

Fw is much like a family. There is something for everyone. The people encourage, support, and love each other. Welcome to the family!

I hope I gave you some places to start. The site is huge and there are so many wonderful things here. You may want to check out the FAQ thread as that may answer many of your questions.

Have fun exploring, jump into conversations and don't be afraid to ask any questions. :welcome
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

1figsboro
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby 1figsboro » Wed May 28, 2014 5:12 pm

Hello - I am new to the site but your post sounded so much like my life, I had to say Hi. I have had a burden to write all my life - and have written a lot, however I have never tried to get anything published. I am hoping this site will make a difference for me.
Hope

wheelygirl58
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby wheelygirl58 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:42 am

Hello LeAnn! I just watched your "Writer's Cross", oh, what a joy your video gave me! Thank you! I just joined FW today.So, again, :thankssign. Also, I'll view the others of yours, later.

faith55
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby faith55 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Hello LeAnn I am a newbie also but your post raised something on the inside of me in regards to current events as it pertains to biblical prophecy. I write poetry in this regard as well as psalms Hopefully we can encourage each other. Nice to meet you

Return to Newbie Nook