To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Hello FW's!

A place for new members to introduce themselves and to be welcomed to the FaithWriters' Community. Don't be shy. We love meeting new brothers and sisters in Christ.

Moderators: RedBaron, beaedwards, Shann

Calicocat7
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Hello FW's!

Postby Calicocat7 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:02 pm

Hello FaithWriters,

I'm actually a returning member but as I was previously never active on the message boards or in the writing community, I thought I would introduce myself. I am back on FW's because I recently resigned from my full time job and now have time to invest in my writing.

My husband and I are "owner/operators" (a one-truck trucking company) and I am now taking care of all the billing and paperwork as well as traveling with him when he is working on our truck. When I quit my "real" job, I was planning on handling the book-keeping and paperwork for our business and enrolling in online courses to get my Master's degree in Christian Apologetics. Right after I quit, however, our trucking company lost a major customer whose business comprised most of the work we'd been doing. This was a staggering blow to our business and our family and drastically changed the plans we had for expansion and growth. We are in the process of re-evaluating our business, and needless to say, I'm not spending money on college courses this time around!

I am a bit of a "jack of all trades" and have done a little bit of everything from retail, to police dispatching, to delivering mail. I did a little bit of roofing, some waitressing, substitute teaching, and of course, all the horse related jobs that every little girl dreams of having. My Bachelor's Degree is in Equestrian Science with a minor in English and in retrospect, it should have been the other way around. I was more excited about buying and reading my English textbooks than I ever was about attending my riding classes!

After years of working in the horse industry, I finally took a good long look into my heart and realized that I was trying to squeeze myself into a box that I just didn't fit in. I'm tired of battling myself every day, trying to be someone I'm not, and I'm looking for ways to hone my writing skills and see if I can find a way to use the actual gifts and talents that God has given me - use of the written word. The problem is that I'm starting from scratch. Because of the career path I've taken, I haven't focused on any of my writing skills over the intervening years and have no practical experience editing or writing to be published.

It's exciting and a little intimidating to be embarking on this journey after all these years. I can use all the guidance and advice that I can get, and I hope to make some new friends who can use a little encouragement as well. I look forward to meeting all of you and reading your "word art."

Happy writing to all!

Sincerely,

Jolene Laughlin (aka Calicocat7)

RedBaron

Re: Hello FW's!

Postby RedBaron » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi and :welcome
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:43 pm

Welcome and feel free to gallop into a future full of untold stories.

I must admit that the first thought I had when reading your 'hello' was of Dick Francis; he was a not-so-famous jockey who became a very wealthy, famous author who wrote stories woven around his equestrian adventures. People love to read stories about horses and I'm sure you have lots to share; but of course I'm not trying to limit your field.

Enjoy and be blessed; Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

Calicocat7
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Calicocat7 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:58 pm

Thank you, Red Baron.

Graham, it's funny you should mention Dick Francis. We had to read one of his books - I think it was Knockdown - as part of my Equine Buying and Selling class in college...to understand all the underhanded tricks and unethical practices that many people in the industry get away with! He definitely knew his stuff.

Thank you for the welcome. I was actually just browsing through the theological debate forum and found the one regarding Calvinism, Arminianism, and Molinism and I kept trying to "like" your posts. (Hard to remember that this isn't Facebook!) I was so happy to see what you had to say and appreciated your balanced and open approach. I haven't gotten to the end of the discussion yet, so not sure how recent all that was, but it is helpful for me in my own thought process and in thinking about ideas that I have always found to be very confusing and frustrating.

I look forward to speaking with you all in more detail.

Thanks again!

RachelM
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby RachelM » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:12 am

Hi Jolene,

What a great introduction! Welcome back to FaithWriters. I'm sorry that your business had that blow. I pray that God will help you and your husband in the decision process of what happens next.

I look forward to seeing you around the boards. God bless!
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Calicocat7
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Calicocat7 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:23 am

Hello Rachel! Thank you so much for your kindness and your prayers for our business. I appreciate that more than I can say. I look forward to knowing you better.

Many Blessings,

Jolene

WalterKahler
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby WalterKahler » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:33 am

Welcome aboard Jolene. Have a blast.

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi Jolene glad to have you back and on the boards. Don't hesitate to ask questions or to pop into any discussions. :welcome
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

buckspub
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby buckspub » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi Jolene, welcome and it's a pleasure to meet you.

Buck

Return to Newbie Nook