To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Hello, Christian Sci-Fi Fantasy Writer Here!

A place for new members to introduce themselves and to be welcomed to the FaithWriters' Community. Don't be shy. We love meeting new brothers and sisters in Christ.

Moderators: RedBaron, beaedwards, Shann

fairygirl28
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Hello, Christian Sci-Fi Fantasy Writer Here!

Postby fairygirl28 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:16 pm

Hello, I'm from a small town in Bastrop and just published my first YA Christian novel a few months ago. Any other Scribophile people here?

RedBaron

Re: Hello, Christian Sci-Fi Fantasy Writer Here!

Postby RedBaron » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi and :welcome

I also love SciFi/Fantasy :)
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

RachelM
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby RachelM » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Welcome, and congratulations on publishing your novel!!!
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Welcome to FW! Congratulations on publishing your first book. My favorite genre is children's stories too. I like some sci-fi and fantasy too. There are so many wonderful opportunities for marketing your book if you upgrade to a paid membership. I have no doubt Jesus took you by the hand and lead you here. He brought me here just four years ago and I have been blessed so many times over.

I think the biggest blessing I've received is the friends I've made. I didn't think it was possible to have such close friends from all over the world. I talk to many on a regular basis. Next is having my stories published or being ready to publish. Seven stories won an Editor's Choice in the challenge and my testimony will be in the soon to be released Triumph Over Trials anthology. I also self-published my first picture book, which because I am a platinum member, the book can be found on the site's store. I have also received countless editing jobs from contacts from FW.

FW is an awesome site, but can be a tad overwhelming because it's so big, but here are some tips for you.

The biggest draw to FW would be the writing challenge. Do you know about the thread Toss a brick? It's a great opportunity to ask for some honest feedback on your piece. There are four quarters each year with ten topics in each one that are related. While you can write in any genre like poetry, children's books, Biblical fiction, devotions, testimonial,and even sci-fi, fantasy and romance, you just need to make sure the story is on the topic and suited for a Christian audience.

One thing the challenge does is encourage me to think outside of the box. One of the best advice I ever received was once you see the topic, jot down the first five things you think of, then throw them away because it's likely what everyone else is thinking of too. If you really feel drawn to that idea, try to tell it from a fresh POV (point of view)

The word count limit has helped me learn to tighten my writing up quite a bit. The deadline has also helped me on my procrastination. I still wait to the last minute, but am writing on a more regular basis. There is also some excellent reading material there. I try to read and comment on every piece, though lately I haven't been able to do that as often as I would like.

FW is a great place to meet other Christians and writers. I also think it's awesome because there is people with all kinds of experience here from having published book to having never really written much at all. People here are great encouragers and willing to share their knowledge with others. The Open Forum is a great place to ask questions about writing and publishing.

You also can find a wealth of info and a variety of people on the boards. It's also a great way to make friends. A great place for writing tips can be found at Jan's Writing Basics. It might be a bit overwhelming to post at first, but I'd urge you to bite the bullet and jump in. Jan is wonderful at giving invaluable feedback to everyone who tries her thread and posts their "homework." Actually this week she is doing a lesson on writing on topic. Pop in and don't hesitate to jump in on the conversation. Jan is quite good about answering everyone who leaves a post.

Also The Water Cooler is a great place to meet people. They have topics that range from regional areas to just popping in to say hi. Another great place to go is Prayer Requests. It's wonderful to be able to request prayer and to lift others up in need.

Fw is much like a family. There is something for everyone. The people encourage, support, and love each other. Welcome to the family!

I hope I gave you some places to start. The site is huge and there are so many wonderful things here. You may want to check out the FAQ thread as that may answer many of your questions.

Have fun exploring, jump into conversations and don't be afraid to ask any questions. :welcome
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi and welcome to FW.

Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

buckspub
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby buckspub » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:29 pm

Hi fairygirl28. Welcome, and it's a pleasure to meet you.

Return to Newbie Nook