To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

No Posts?

Info and help for your market research.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron

Fullheart
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

No Posts?

Postby Fullheart » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:43 am

I was surprised to find no posts here. Marketing is a big part of book publishing. I feel like a guppy (or a baby Bass :D ) swimming in a big ocean. Help!

S. Bass

Come forth
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: No Posts?

Postby Come forth » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Here's a good marketing idea I just came across on another thread. Would take a little creative thinking, but it could work really well, especially if you could then target the theme of the cookbook (diabetic, Italian, French whatever)

Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

livinginthe1940s
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby livinginthe1940s » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:13 pm

I agree, S. Bass. Marketing is something that I'm not familiar with much at all, but I'd sure like to be. :) Has anyone heard of Carol Tice at the Freelance Writers Den? Get on her mailing list because she offers tons of information about publishing, freelancing, and marketing tips/ideas...

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:11 am

I can't believe this. I left a post here once before and just now spent 15 minutes telling some of my marketing ideas when my tablet died for no reason. Bizarre I wonder if something doesn't want your book to spread the Truth. I refuse to let him defeat me.

Some of these I think I sent you via email, but maybe you didn't get that either. Have you contacted any local Christian colleges? You could offer to do a book reading/signing. Another thing is ask the campus store if they would try to sell a few copies. I'm not sure what they would charge, but it might be worth it.

Put a press release in your local papers. Ask local stores to stock them, and then you can mention in the press release where the books can be bought.

I also left copies at my local hospital with a dedication to the third floor for taking care of me and added the book could be bought at Amazon. Don't forget to ask the hospital gift shop too. They may want a commission, but since most are going to hospital auxiliaries, it's a good charity.

Don't forget the local libraries. You might even be able to do a book signing get there in exchange for donating a copy or two. I'm not sure if you live in a city or small town, I live in a rural area, and the town really likes supporting locals. The Rotary Club bought 22 books for their reading program. My book was a picture book, but you could still approach groups and local stores.

I also put books in waiting rooms and doctor offices, again with the note where people could buy it. Another thing I did was to donate $1 from each sale to the church's camp fund. That gets people to buy as well. Often small groups like the United Methodist women like to book speakers for their meeting' entertainment. I've presented there before as has another author and then you could have a book signing afterwards.

Don't forget many churches have libraries too. By donating a copy, it gets the message out and a note inside where they can buy it might get you more sales.

Don't just think bookstores either, other local events or stores may be willing to help you. You could also set up a table at a local festival and sell books there and sign them. Around here, you can get a booth for $25-75. A flea market and ad in Penny Sauer might also give you an opportunity to sell some. Look for writer's groups too.

I hope this helps some. Of course I'm sure you also know about FW bookstore, ads, and free reads for reviews. :D
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Return to Market Research Info and Help