2nd Quarter Week 8 Topic - It's Child's Play

Discuss everything to do with the Writing Challenge. Feel free to ask questions and find a Challenge buddy.
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

Moderators: Deb Porter, itsjoanne, RedBaron

itsjoanne

2nd Quarter Week 8 Topic - It's Child's Play

Post by itsjoanne » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:30 pm

Here we are at the end of the second quarter. Did you manage to get an entry or two (or more) submitted for the Challenge? If not, there’s still time with our final topic for the quarter. The Week 8 topic is:

IT’S CHILD’S PLAY
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

To put it simply, it’s something very simple. “Child’s play” is an exceptionally easy task, especially when compared to a much harder task. For example:

The fun run was child’s play compared to the City to Surf marathon.

It can also be if we expect something to be very hard, but it turns out to be simple. For example:

I thought the driving test would be so hard, but it was child’s play.

IT’S CHILD’S PLAY
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/child%27s+play

So have fun with this final topic for the quarter. You can write in any genre or style you like, AS LONG AS SOME MEANING OF THE TOPIC IS THE MAIN FOCUS OF YOUR ENTRY ... and as long as the entry conforms to the rules.

And keep in mind the adjusted Challenge rule: Entries may be in any style or genre, and they do not need to be overtly Christian in message. However, they must, at minimum, come from a Christian worldview/outlook. In the case of fiction, the Christian worldview/outlook may be subtle or allegorical, but it should still offer a fairly clear Christian viewpoint.

Remember to check your word count before submitting (entries must be between 150 and 750 words). A very reliable and free online word count check tool is this one:

http://www.wordcountertool.com/

PLEASE, always hit the preview button to check your entry before hitting the final submit button. This is the only way to make sure your entry is uploaded correctly. This is very important, particularly if you are using HTML code for the first time. Once you have previewed your entry, close the preview page and hit the submit button.

Finally, once submitted, do a check to make sure your entry is safely in the list:
http://www.faithwriters.com/myaccount/wc-entry-list.php.

So come on Challengeers. Entering the Challenge is child’s play. Once done, you can sit back and enjoy a well-deserved rest until we start back on July 4. (And watch for an announcement soon about a small change coming to the challenge starting next quarter!)

Hugs!
Joanne
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook

itsjoanne

Re: 2nd Quarter Week 8 Topic - It's Child's Play

Post by itsjoanne » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:41 am

Hi, folks.
I have had a request to clarify the topic (meant to do so this weekend, but it slipped my slippery mind :D ).

Child's Play is the perception (or reality) that something is easy or simple to do, often in comparison to something that is not as much so.

You could write about, for example, a test that someone studied hours and hours for, and ended up being super easy. Or you could do the reverse - have someone not prepare for a test that they think will be "child's play," and end up being wrong and failing.

Basically, anything that seems or is so easy a child could do it would be considered Child's Play.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask again if you need more clarification.
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook

Ms. Barbie
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by Ms. Barbie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:09 pm

So it has nothing to do with playing kids games or playing with kids?
Barb Culler

BeachGrandma
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by BeachGrandma » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:52 am

I'm glad for the clarification. I think a lot of us thought it was about children's games or play. But now I can get busy and write for I just had a great idea for an entry. Thanks, Joanne.
Mariane Holbrook

"Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23

itsjoanne

Post by itsjoanne » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:15 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:52 am
I'm glad for the clarification. I think a lot of us thought it was about children's games or play. But now I can get busy and write for I just had a great idea for an entry. Thanks, Joanne.
So sorry for the confusion!
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook

Return to “Writing Challenge - General Discussion”