To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Can we put any italics in our Challenge articles?

Here's where you can discuss everything to do with the Writing Challenge. Feel free to ask questions.
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

Moderators: Deb Porter, RedBaron

rcthebanditqueen
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Can we put any italics in our Challenge articles?

Postby rcthebanditqueen » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:53 pm

I just wondered if there is any way to submit an article containing an italicized word? Is it possible to do in the cut-and-paste text box? Or is there another way?

Thanks!

glorybee

Re: Can we put any italics in our Challenge articles?

Postby glorybee » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:22 pm

You can't cut and paste; you need to use html. It looks complicated at first, but once you get used to it, it's easy peasy.

Put this before the words you want italicized:

< i >

and put this at the end of the phrase:

< / i >

It will look like < i > this < / i > in the submissions box, but

it will look like this in the preview screen and in your final submission. Be sure that you use the preview screen, though, because if you miss a keystroke, the coding won't work.

Be sure that you leave out the spaces before and after the lower case 'i' when you type your coding in. I had to put them here to "disable" the code so that you could see the keystrokes. But when you do them--NO SPACES.

Let me know if this isn't clear.
Jan Ackerson

RachelM
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby RachelM » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:17 pm

I've found a way to "cheat" and put the code in effortlessly. I have a free Wordpress blog, and I found that I can copy from my word processor and paste into the "visual" box on my blog. This transfers all of my italics, and then I copy out of the "text" box (it contains all the code) and paste into the FaithWriters submission box.

This sounds complicated, but it only takes a minute and I don't have to manually put the code in.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

rcthebanditqueen
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby rcthebanditqueen » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:06 pm

Sweet! Thanks, guys! I am glad to know both ways of doing it, as I also have a Wordpress blog to play with.

Another question in a similar vein, double checking...if we use a Scripture verse in our piece, and then make a footnote giving the reference and Bible version, the footnote is included at the end of the document we download or the text we put in the submission box, but it is NOT included in the 750 word count, correct?

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:18 pm

The word count is definitely a place where grace comes into play. If the Scripture references or author's notes are not extensive, they will not be counted in the 750 words. On the other hand, if a person needs Scripture references or authors' notes to meet the minimum of 150 words (perhaps in the case of a short poem, for example), then they will be counted.

The Writing challenge is just awesome that way.
Jan Ackerson

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:48 pm

glorybee wrote:The word count is definitely a place where grace comes into play.

Yes, believe me, I do absolutely EVERYTHING I possibly can to avoid having to disqualify an entry. It just takes too much work to have to find the author's email address, send them an email (with a copy of their entry in case they didn't keep a copy), then contact the judges to let them know, and finally, to record it in my Excel file in case anyone questions it later.

It's much easier if I can find wriggle room, through taking into account things like hyphens and ellipses. Did you know that if you write an ellipses like this . . . instead of like ... each dot will be counted as one word when we do the word count. If someone is over, and they have the old space around the hyphen or space between the periods in an ellipses, I will take all that into consideration.

Having said that, writing an ellipses with a space between each dot is actually correct. Just not if you are having word count issues with the Challenge. :wink:

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

rcthebanditqueen
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby rcthebanditqueen » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:20 pm

Aha! Most interesting.

I had no idea that I was doing ellipses wrong all this time... :P

But we should put "..." and not ". . ." if we're too close on the word count?

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:38 pm

rcthebanditqueen wrote:But we should put "..." and not ". . ." if we're too close on the word count?

Yes, because ... will only count as one word when written like this:

I think I may be over the word count ... but maybe not.

If written like this, the word counter will pick up three extra words:

I think I may be over the word count . . . but maybe not.

That's because most word counters work on the space around characters. So although I will go looking for things like this if an entry is over count, it's best to avoid the hassle to start with.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

rcthebanditqueen
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby rcthebanditqueen » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:45 pm

Huh...wow. I never knew word processors could be so complicated.

So if, in a story, a character quoted John 3:16, then a footnote like "Scripture: John 3:16, KJV" at the end would be appropriate and would not be included in the word count?

Or how should the footnote be written? Any rules on that one?

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:26 pm

That would be fine. The chapter and verse, and the version of the Bible It would not be included in the word count (unless, as I said earlier, you needed it to be because your entry would otherwise be too short).
Jan Ackerson

rcthebanditqueen
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby rcthebanditqueen » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks, Jan!!

rcthebanditqueen
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby rcthebanditqueen » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:32 pm

When you put a footnote, does there need to be a line or delineation somehow between the end of the piece and the Scripture reference? Like a line of dashes or something? Or can we just have a few empty lines between the piece end and the footnote, so it's clearly separated?

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:50 pm

You can do it any way you'd like. Some people have done three asterisks or a short line (you wouldn't have to do a line across the whole text), or just a few blank spaces, as you've said. It won't matter in the least.
Jan Ackerson

Allison

Postby Allison » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:38 pm

Yes, the challenge is very forgiving when it comes to word count, and I've found it's pretty easy to tell when something is supposed to be a footnote, even if it's NOT physically separated from the rest of the entry. But to make it easier, some type of division, whether it be extra blank lines or a few asterisks or dashes is just fine.

Also I've gotten so used to the < i > < /i > and < b > < /b > for italics and bold that I've been known to type that automatically in things that are NOT for the challenge. Then I have to catch myself before I send it off to someone, who doesn't know about the magical html tags. :lol:
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Return to Writing Challenge - General Discussion