To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

What constitutes inappropriate/unsuitable content?

Here's where you can discuss everything to do with the Writing Challenge. Feel free to ask questions.
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

Moderators: Deb Porter, RedBaron

rcthebanditqueen
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

What constitutes inappropriate/unsuitable content?

Postby rcthebanditqueen » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:20 am

I'm still figuring out what the rules mean. I'm not asking so I can know how far I can push the envelope; but rather I want to figure out what *not* to do, or what to stay away from if needed.

I understand specifics like language, violence, sensual content. But what about the overall content or theme of the story? I.e., what about a story that deals with or references (but doesn't celebrate) serious issues like abuse, drugs, alcohol, broken families?

It seems to me that escaping the reality that we live in a broken world is not always possible or practical. Even the Bible isn't fluffy.

But, on the other hand, offending or upsetting people is not the goal. "Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them" seems applicable here too.

I'm hoping someone could shed some extra light on that for me.

Thanks!

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: What constitutes inappropriate/unsuitable content?

Postby Deb Porter » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:03 am

What you have mentioned is fine. In fact, more than fine. The difference is exactly what you said--not celebrating sin. In other words, you wouldn't show someone having a great time getting drunk and being obnoxious to people, and not also show any consequences of that action. Or someone having an affair and that being shown as perfectly fine and acceptable.

Does that make sense? We don't mind if you deal with real issues. Like I said, great if you do. Just make sure you deal with those issues from a Christian point of view.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

rcthebanditqueen
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Re: What constitutes inappropriate/unsuitable content?

Postby rcthebanditqueen » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:26 am

Thanks Deb!! That helps me understand.

Return to Writing Challenge - General Discussion