To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Judging Question

Here's where you can discuss everything to do with the Writing Challenge. Feel free to ask questions.
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

Moderators: Deb Porter, RedBaron

Fullheart
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Judging Question

Postby Fullheart » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Just curious.

As I read through some entries for "First World Problem", I saw one that looked as if they had assigned a different meaning than most to the topic. Which technically was correct, as no one particular meaning is indicated. It looks as if they took the meaning of: "the first problem that effected the entire world". First world problem. Or first world-wide problem. Will the judges view that entry as being off topic?

:sorry for :clown & (ing) around with emoticons, but I thought it'd be :coolsign to :welcome you to :cop (cop) to :book2 :oops: &(ing) but :superhappy feeling stuff. :sorry I'll be :coolsign now.

Blessings,
That strange guy with the odd Welsh name,
Sheldon

glorybee

Re: Judging Question

Postby glorybee » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:27 pm

I can't speak for all judges, but I would downrate an entry like that on that particular criterion, especially since a link was given to clarify the intent of the topic. I would not, however, give it a super low rating, as a case could be made for creative interpretation of the topic phrase.
Jan Ackerson

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi Sheldon, love the Welsh name. My father hailed from LLanhilleth, so I'm biased. :lol:

I think that the link to the video that Deb provided, when the topic was released, made it quite clear what was being looked for. Also the whole theme of this quarter is focused on what has recently been added to the dictionary (Googled/Chillax and whatever is to come), so the broadness of the topic isn't so wide that you can ignore these distinct guides to topic.

I think being on topic is very important for us to learn as writers; and a website which focuses on 'First World Problems' would (I imagine) 100% reject an article which was written around 'The World's First Problem' -- two totally different subjects.

My answer to your question is that 'Yes' I believe that the entry would be way off subject and score very low in that category. Put yourself in the shoes of someone running a specific website who is looking to start a conversation on First World problems; would a debate about the downfall of Adam and Eve help your site or distract from the issue you wish to discuss?

Just my view; blessings, Graham. :sorry
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:03 pm

Sheldon, this happens some times. An entry may be a little loose with the topic (and people are allowed to play around with creative interpretations, provided they make it clear that's what they did), and still rate quite well overall. The topic category is only one of eight rating categories, which means even an entry that is fairly loose for topic could still end up rating very well in the other categories and be strong enough to end up near the top.

However, if an entry is completely off the topic (leaving the judges scratching their heads trying to work out even the slightest connection), that entry really shouldn't place at all, based on the overall ratings. However, if there are only six or seven entries in a level, again, it is quite possible that one could sneak into the rankings for that level based on the standard of writing.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Return to Writing Challenge - General Discussion