To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Week 1 Topic - CHILLAX

Here's where you can discuss everything to do with the Writing Challenge. Feel free to ask questions.
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

Moderators: Deb Porter, RedBaron

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Week 1 Topic - CHILLAX

Postby Deb Porter » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:59 pm

Welcome back, Challengeers. Hope you had a great break and are raring to go with ten tantalizing topics. It should be fun. The English language is constantly evolving, and so that's our focus for the April to June theme. Every topic this quarter will include a link to the Oxford Dictionary definition (see under the topic on the main Challenge page, but I'll also include it here).

So, as you have all seen by now, the topic for this week is:

CHILLAX
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

The clarification is here: http://bit.ly/1f6R9oo

Basically, it means to calm down and relax.

Most important thing this quarter is to have fun with the words or phrases, but as always, YOU DON'T NEED TO ACTUALLY USE THE WORD IN YOUR ENTRY. Whether you do or not, the key is to show the meaning of the word.

Feel free to chat about the topic here.

Love, Deb :brrr

FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Allison
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Week 1 Topic - CHILLAX

Postby Allison » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Chillax: What I tell my Over Analytical Mind (Miss OAM) to do on a nearly daily basis.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

JudySauer
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby JudySauer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:04 pm

Reminding myself to chillax as severe thunderstorms and tornadoes are about to knock on my doors, windows, and roof. Guess it be best to chillax in basement about now.
May you have a blessed day!

Write the vision - Habukkak 2:2

Allison

Postby Allison » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:40 pm

JudySauer wrote:Reminding myself to chillax as severe thunderstorms and tornadoes are about to knock on my doors, windows, and roof. Guess it be best to chillax in basement about now.

You must be near me, Judy... *pokes location on the side*
<--- Right about there...
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

yarra
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby yarra » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:30 am

I'm glad you put that link and explanation of what "chillax" means. So, it's not a laxative, or some medication for headaches, or a cooling drink, or any other thing that I might have imagined! Must be showing my age in not using that expression. I have heard people say, "Chill," or "Chill out" though. Or maybe it hasn't reached the southern hemisphere yet. (I'm sure someone will dispute that!)
Now to think about how to write about it. :)

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:16 am

LOL. Yarra, I'm in the southern hemisphere, and I've heard it. :lol:

This quarter may introduce a whole lot of new words to our vocabulary. I was inspired to use these words when I read that "selfie" had made it into the Oxford Dictionary and was considered the top new word for the year. It brings home the evolution of language so clearly when you find out that the word came about when an Aussie guy used it when posting a picture of himself in a forum. It apparently took off, and now "selfie" is legitimate. (But it's not one of our words for this quarter.) Like I said, the article about these new words got me thinking, and the end result is our theme for this quarter.

Love, Deb

yarra
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby yarra » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:01 am

Thanks, Deb! I'll look forward to increasing my vocabulary this quarter! It'll be interesting to find how many of the 'new' words I know. I do know what 'selfie' means though I didn't know its origin.
By the way (completely off topic!), I've always wanted one of these 'sorry' signs to pop up out of my car window when I cut someone off or make some other driving mistake. :sorry
Ellen

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:04 pm

yarra wrote:By the way (completely off topic!), I've always wanted one of these 'sorry' signs to pop up out of my car window when I cut someone off or make some other driving mistake. :sorry
Ellen

LOL. I think it would be handly to have a load of little emoticons to carry around with us. :wink:

swfdoc1

Postby swfdoc1 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:19 pm

WARNING: Potential thread hijacking ahead!

I’m shocked! I looked at the definition at the link Deb provided, which is from the Oxford Dictionary folks. Before giving the definition, it gave the part of speech as, “verb [no object].”

SERIOUSLY? “No object”? How bad have things become when the Oxford Dictionary people (as in Oxford English Dictionary, aka, OED) think the English-speaking public needs to have basic grammar terms dumbed down like this? And their slogan is “Language matters”!

The term is “intransitive,” and in the U.S. this concept is CURRENTLY introduced somewhere between the 4th and 6th grades (as I just confirmed with a bit of research).

I checked several other on-line dictionaries, and fortunately (although this may be the luck of the draw), they are still using the terms “transitive” and “intransitive.” I also checked several print dictionaries (although admittedly not any particularly new ones) and many of them even use the abbreviations “tr.” and intr.” and obviously expect people to know what that means.

Even before the advent of the Internet, there used to be a debate over whether media led society to be increasingly sexualized and crude, and increasingly secular, and etc., etc.; or whether media merely REFLECTED society’s movement.

That same debate is worth having with regards to the dumbing down issue.

(BTW, if anyone's reaction to this is, “Well, I wasn’t taught those terms,” it’s all but certain you’re remembering incorrectly. The problem is—at least in the U.S.—students rarely master certain language development and language arts skills, and remember even less. They also FREQUENTLY fail to master grammatical terms, even though they are taught them. Further, standardized testing doesn’t test for this stuff; and now so much education in the States is driven by the standardized tests.)

End of rant. (Sorry Deb.)
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien

gracelikerain

Postby gracelikerain » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:25 am

It's been so long since I wrote a challenge piece, but I'm seriously going to have put on my thinking cap for this one. My husband and I have had an ongoing conversation about this particular word which we tend to think is ridiculous and shouldn't be considered a word. We've banned it from being used in our home LOL

So I guess I'll have to get off my high horse and go ahead and use it (or at least think about it) :)

Visit my blog: Ordinary Days

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:28 pm

gracelikerain wrote:It's been so long since I wrote a challenge piece, but I'm seriously going to have put on my thinking cap for this one. My husband and I have had an ongoing conversation about this particular word which we tend to think is ridiculous and shouldn't be considered a word. We've banned it from being used in our home LOL

So I guess I'll have to get off my high horse and go ahead and use it (or at least think about it) :)

Remember that the word itself does not have to appear in the entry, as long as the entry adequately conveys the concept.
Jan Ackerson

gracelikerain

Postby gracelikerain » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:03 am

Yes, that's true, Jan. I just have to get past my negative view of the word so I can move on to some real inspiration :)

Visit my blog: Ordinary Days

rtodd5011
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby rtodd5011 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:41 pm

I am having the toughest time coming up with anything for this word. I may have overcomplicated this term in my mind. Any suggestions how to break the ice?
God Bless,
Rtodd (Rich)

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:52 pm

rtodd5011 wrote:I am having the toughest time coming up with anything for this word. I may have overcomplicated this term in my mind. Any suggestions how to break the ice?

Instead of focusing on the actual word "chillax," try brainstorming questions that tap into the meaning of the word:

What kind of person needs to relax?
What circumstances might occur to a person to make them heated and tense (the opposite of "chillax")?
What are the consequences of not chilling and relaxing?
Can a person be too calm and relaxed? Are there times when being calm and relaxed is inappropriate?
How could you write about a person who is calm and relaxed in a very unusual place or time?
Is there a historical or Biblical person who exemplifies calm and relaxation?

I hope that at least one of those questions might be a bit helpful for you.
Jan Ackerson

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Great response, Jan. That is exactly the best way to look at this topic (and future ones). Don't complicate it or get hung up on the actual word. Just think about what it means. To be honest, I think most of us have needed to do it now and then. (Me, on a daily basis)

Love, Deb

Next

Return to Writing Challenge - General Discussion