To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Why I Am Retiring From the Weekly Challenge

Here's where you can discuss everything to do with the Writing Challenge. Feel free to ask questions.
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

Moderators: Deb Porter, RedBaron

BrotherAnthony
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Why I Am Retiring From the Weekly Challenge

Postby BrotherAnthony » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:29 pm

I have discerned that I best retire from the weekly challenge. I enjoy the writing to prompt, but my soul gets too confused and bruised by the experience of the judging. I suppose my nature is such that I am not well equipped for competitions. So thank you for all the good times.

jim mcwhinnie

Colswann1
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Why I Am Retiring From the Weekly Challenge

Postby Colswann1 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:42 pm

I wish you well Jim, for the future. I loved your poem about the gloaming and I'm sure the Lord will use it. :)
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:16 pm

You could continue to write the prompts and then post them to the general submissions for feedback and the practice. ETA: As mentioned over at Facebook, the judging really isn't that important. There is a fraction of a point usually between 1st and any other place in the level.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:28 pm

I sincerely hope that your retirement will be short-lived. Nothing need be engraved in stone; you are an extremely talented writer, and without you, the challenge will be significantly poorer. You will be sorely missed.
Jan Ackerson

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:48 pm

Everything Jan wrote, Jim. Ditto.

I posted this on your note on Facebook, but you have nothing to feel bad about regarding the results. You always rate very well, and you are always up there near the top. You ranked 11th for this topic.

Love, Deb
Finesse Writing & Editing Service

FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Coming Soon ... Breath of Fresh Air Press (the home of FaithWriters' Books)

JulesStJermaine
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby JulesStJermaine » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:59 pm

I hope you will change your mind. When I read the comments below my challenge entry and saw the reference to take writing classes, I was momentarily saddened, and discouraged. Then I checked around and noted that the same offer had been made to everyone and I was not being singled out. I do appreciate the offer for writing classes, but I think it may have been more helpful, and positive, to convey the information in another way. I hope you will reconsider if this is something your heart enjoys. God Bless!

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:45 pm

:sorry Give it a little more thought and prayer, Jim, before you make it final. Years ago, a former pastor occasionally reminded us parishioners that A quitter never wins, and a winner never quits.

The judges do have a tough job choosing the top 10 among so many talented and creative writers. But Jim, you've been a deserving winner in the past, and if you don't quit, you'll win again.

Many blessings,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:36 am

Jules, that is a good suggestion (although that's not what made Jim decide to leave). It probably should be mentioned that the information about the lessons is being passed on to everyone. I can definitely see how it could be interpreted the wrong way.

And the thing with Jim we have to remember is that he has been a winner multiple times. He is an excellent, gifted writer, and was one of the runners up for this year's Page Turner contest (by that, I mean he was in the top three out of all the excellent entries submitted). His poem this week was lovely and ranked 11th overall. He has written many, many beautiful poems and we are blessed by his writing.

Love, Deb
Finesse Writing & Editing Service

FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Coming Soon ... Breath of Fresh Air Press (the home of FaithWriters' Books)

Return to Writing Challenge - General Discussion