To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

A Number Question :-)

Discuss everything to do with the Writing Challenge. Feel free to ask questions and find a Challenge buddy.
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

Moderators: Deb Porter, RedBaron

oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

A Number Question :-)

Postby oursilverstrands » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:56 am

Deb, when submitting my entry to the Challenge this week, I removed all numbers from my "Twenty Reflections..." because it added substantially to my word count. I wasn't sure if numbers were exempted in the 750 rule. Are they? :?:

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: A Number Question :-)

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:13 pm

oursilverstrands wrote:Deb, when submitting my entry to the Challenge this week, I removed all numbers from my "Twenty Reflections..." because it added substantially to my word count. I wasn't sure if numbers were exempted in the 750 rule. Are they? :?:

Lillian

Hi Lillian.

If you mean as an itemised list, yes, the numbers will add to the count. It probably would have been a good idea to edit out 20 words somewhere along the way, if you were going to be over, to make sure you got the numbers in (so it connected clearly to the title).

The only things that don't get counted are the titles (if people add them into the submission box) and any author footnote. If an entry is over the count because of a scripture tacked onto the end, we won't count that either, as long as it isn't incorporated into the last paragraph. If it's added on, like a footnote, we won't count it.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Henny
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Henny » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Deb,

Recently had a piece that seemed to "corn-fuse" the word counters. I had counts ranging from 730 to 824. Is there an official counter we can use?

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Henny wrote:Deb,

Recently had a piece that seemed to "corn-fuse" the word counters. I had counts ranging from 730 to 824. Is there an official counter we can use?

Hi Henny. Word counters can be a pain because it depends on what base rule they work on. Some do an average based on a certain number of characters equalling one word. That's only good as a rough guide. The one FW used to use years ago (it was attached to the submission form) was one of these very inaccurate ones. That's why we got rid of it.

There are two we recommend as most accurate. The word counter in MS Word or this excellent free online one:

http://www.wordcountertool.com/

Save that one and you won't go wrong. :D

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Return to Writing Challenge - General Discussion