To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Wk 2 Topic - SEA CHANGE or TREE CHANGE

Discuss everything to do with the Writing Challenge. Feel free to ask questions and find a Challenge buddy.
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

Moderators: Deb Porter, RedBaron

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Wk 2 Topic - SEA CHANGE or TREE CHANGE

Postby Deb Porter » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:45 am

Hi there Challengeers. City life getting you down? Had enough of the crowds? Well, maybe this week’s topic is exactly what you need. The Week 2 topic is:

SEA CHANGE or TREE CHANGE
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

You may never have heard of this term before. I was surprised to find it comes from Australia, but it’s a lovely idea.

SEA CHANGE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seachange_(demography)http://www.dictionary.com/browse/crowd

The same explanation is true for a TREE CHANGE, except it is more about going inland to more rural areas.

So, in a nutshell, a Sea Change is to escape city life and all its headaches by moving permanently somewhere near the sea/ocean/beach.

A Tree Change is the same thing, except it’s to a more rural area (where there are more trees than buildings).

Call it whatever you want, a SEA CHANGE or TREE CHANGE is about getting away from the hustle and bustle of the city, and heading for a more peaceful environment. It is a permanent (at least, for a time) relocation. It’s not a short term vacation or weekend. However, for the sake of the Challenge, a mini-sea or tree change will be acceptable.

Have fun with the topic (because it is a fun one, with all the promise of escape from the rat race). You can write in any genre or style you like. You can do with the topic whatever your heart desires. AS LONG AS SOME MEANING OF THE TOPIC, SEA CHANGE or TREE CHANGE, IS THE MAIN FOCUS OF YOUR ENTRY ... and as long as the entry conforms to the rules.

As always, don't forget to check your word count before submitting (entries must be between 150 and 750 words). A very reliable and free online word count check tool is this one:

http://www.wordcountertool.com/

PLEASE, always hit the preview button to check your entry before hitting the final submit button. This is the only way to make sure your entry is uploaded correctly. This is very important, particularly if you are using HTML code for the first time. Once you have previewed your entry, close the preview page and hit the submit button.

Finally, once submitted, do a check to make sure your entry is safely in the list:
http://www.faithwriters.com/myaccount/wc-entry-list.php.

Take me away to the ocean or the country, Challengeers. Look forward to seeing where your creativity leads you.

Love, Deb

Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Shann

Re: Wk 2 Topic - SEA CHANGE or TREE CHANGE

Postby Shann » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Well that helps! All I could think of when I saw the topic is the trees changing color in the fall and how the ocean changes when it is stormy. I would have been way off base (not to mention that strict of a topic would get boring fast, but this... Hmm maybe I'll have to dip my toes into the challenge waters again. I've a glimmer of an idea... I think.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

CatLin
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby CatLin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:19 pm

I thought the same things as Shann - I never heard these terms before, but I LOVE them both.

Editing to add: I can't stop thinking about Jimmy Buffett's "Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude."
:thankssign
:sorry
:sofa
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)

yarra
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby yarra » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:00 pm

I knew what these terms meant straight away! But then, I'm an Aussie. But, I assumed that they were used more widely than in Australia. Looking forward to what people come up with for this topic. I'll try to get my brain ticking over. :D

Anja

Postby Anja » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:23 pm

Add me to those who had no clue what these terms mean!

I was going in an entirely different tangent which would have been very, very off-topic.

A glimmer of an idea sparkles....
Ann Grover

"What remains of a story after it is finished? Another story..." Eli Wiesel

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:29 pm

LOL. Like Ellen, I had no idea that these were geographically Aussie. We even had a TV show called "Sea Change." I didn't know we were the ones who came up with the terms.

The judges have been told to be a little lenient if people miss the meaning this week. Hopefully they will do their research, though, to get the true meaning.

Love, Deb
Deb

philippa
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby philippa » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:38 pm

I love the topic -being an Aussie I knew immediately what the challenge meant-all I need is time away from work to devote to writing -or a sea change-love FaithWriters even though for the moment I am mostly silent. P

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:53 pm

philippa wrote:I love the topic -being an Aussie I knew immediately what the challenge meant-all I need is time away from work to devote to writing -or a sea change-love FaithWriters even though for the moment I am mostly silent. P

So glad to see you inspired back to the Challenge. :love2

Love, Deb
Deb

Shann

Postby Shann » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:37 pm

First time in 16 months, but I did it!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Well done, Shann! :superhappy
Deb

pcimeisr
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby pcimeisr » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:59 pm

I love this topic. I wish ihad more time to refine my entry, but my comutrr messed up and it isn't as polished as I wanted. But, i thought everyone needed a good chuckle. It is called "A fish out of water". Click the link beliw and take a swim. Let me have it with the red ink. It helps so much.

https://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article ... p?id=55616

Return to Writing Challenge - General Discussion