To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Sequel POV

If Fiction is your forte, this is the forum for you. This is the place to share information and get help on the road to writing the next great novel.

Moderators: itsjoanne, Sparrow, RedBaron

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Sequel POV

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:03 pm

I wrote my novel in 1st person, is it wise if I switch to 3rd person in its sequel?
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Shann

Re: Sequel POV

Postby Shann » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:43 pm

I think it depends on what has happened to your MC in the first book. I know Patricia Cornwell has done that in her Scarpetta books. I don't think I would have noticed except I go to the library and check out all the book by one author than read them. It did feel strange to me the first few chapters (strange enough that I remember it even though it has been years since I read them) I do think I eventually got used to it though, then I think she switched back a couple of books later.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

pheeweed
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby pheeweed » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:40 pm

I don't think I've ever run across it, but it would seem strange unless the MC is a different character. Then it might make sense.
Phee
A friend of the Bridegroom

http://www.delightedmeditations.blogspot.com

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Philippians 4:8 NLT

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Mark Twain wrote The Adventures of Tom Sawyer in third person, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in first person.

pheeweed

Postby pheeweed » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:54 am

That's an interesting example, Deejay. I've never thought of Huck Finn as a sequel to Tom Sawyer. I've always seen them as independent books set in the same place and time.
Phee
A friend of the Bridegroom

http://www.delightedmeditations.blogspot.com

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Philippians 4:8 NLT

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:14 pm

In the beginning of Huckleberry Finn, Huck says that Mr. Twain wrote about his friend Tom, and now he's writing about him. But as I understand it, Twain was really writing about his own childhood. So another POV change.

WriteTight
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby WriteTight » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:28 pm

Good question!

You can change from 3rd to 1st, if it fits the book. You can also go from past to present, if it fits. Stephen Lawhead did it in The Raven King series (a Robin Hood retelling). Personally, it threw me off when he went from 3rd person past tense to first person present framed in the sequel.

The sequel was framed with the main character telling how he got into prison in the first person present. As he tells the tale, it shifts to past tense, which is way easier to understand.

All that to say... sure, you can switch, but will it be the bet move for the story and for your readers?

Return to Fiction Forum