To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Stumbling on my epilogue

If Fiction is your forte, this is the forum for you. This is the place to share information and get help on the road to writing the next great novel.

Moderators: itsjoanne, Sparrow, RedBaron

faithhicks
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Stumbling on my epilogue

Postby faithhicks » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm a tad stuck on the epilogue to my feature screenplay, maybe you can help! Here's the dilemma: A man (call him Fred) puts you, this "so-called Christian," (smile) through a painful Job experience. By the end, he's broken you most effectively. Turns out his objective was to humble you so he could use you effectively for the kingdom. But for ...what? Looking for suggestions. How will he use you? Remember, it's a movie and the story is about your transformation. The epilogue should justify your trial and count in a big way, i.e., something that could win others to the Kingdom, or develop Christians in a powerful way (for example, maybe Fred is creating an organization of on-fire believers and new converts where, through Christ, not one is hungry, not one is unemployed, etc., and more organizations are formed, etc., but everyone must go through the same secret trial you did, etc.). Suggestions can't be preachy, though. BTW: Fred is wealthy, so we have options. I want to end this maybe one-two pages after your transformation, so not looking for a drawn out second-story. Sorry for the lengthy post! :thankssign

Hoomi
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Stumbling on my epilogue

Postby Hoomi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Did you ever see the movie, "V for Vendetta"? One of the things that happens in the movie is that the female main character ends up as a prisoner, and after constant interrogations and threats, she finally tells her guard, "Thank you, but I'd rather die behind the chemical sheds," when entreated to give up some bit of critical information in exchange for her life.

At that point, the guard tells her, "Then you have no fear any more. You are completely free."

All that she had gone through, was to get her to the place where she realized what was most important to her, and to release her from the hold of the unimportant.

Something similar would work well, I think, in your epilogue. We don't need to know what the future mission is. The reader only needs to know that all the trials released your character from the self-imposed chains that held him back from accomplishing great things. It can very simply end with Fred giving a sly comment about, "Now that you've gone through the unbearable, you can reach the impossible," or something similar. Just cyptic enough to let the reader know that fantastic things are ahead, and let their own imagination fill in that blank (plus, leaving you wide open for a sequel if you wish).
“It is the artist who realizes that there is a supreme force above him and works gladly away as a small apprentice under God's heaven.” ~ Alexandr Solzhenitsyn

Marta's Pod, the sequel to Cardan's Pod, on Kickstarter now.

Return to Fiction Forum