To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Hello All

If Fiction is your forte, this is the forum for you. This is the place to share information and get help on the road to writing the next great novel.

Moderators: Sparrow, RedBaron, itsjoanne

tbloor
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Hello All

Postby tbloor » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:21 am

I am new to the forum world, being directed to the website and forum from a friend of mine, I am out of sorts with exactly what to do and how it all works.
I am currently writing a book about a family man that is involved in a serious car accident that leaves him in a coma. His entire struggle though done in his mind actually happens in the spiritual realm, He will face several challenges and battles including demons personally controlling human hosts, he will have to rely on the help of others and the prayer of strangers. During his conquest he finds armor and weapons to assist him, each one symbolizes the armor of God. Set in a late Greco-Roman, early medieval timeframe, the main character has lived in the city his entire life so one of his biggest challenges is adapting to the lack of modern marvels like indoor plumbing. The entire premise of the book is to talk about spiritual warfare in a medieval setting, the power that the demons have in the book are the same we struggle against today and when there is prayer the unexplained happens. This book is meant to bring to life the real struggles we have but show how using Gods Word can help us have victory. I would love to have any input or advice you can give me.

shanekahkola
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Re: Hello All

Postby shanekahkola » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:29 am

Good to have you on board Tyson.

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:44 am

Hi THERE! Welcome to FW! It is an amazing site and I'm so delighted you found us. For me FW was an answer to prayers. I have learned and grown leaps and bounds in the past couple of years. The great thing about this site is the people here truly care about one another and genuinely want to help everyone become the best writer they can be.

It sounds like you have a wonderful story going. I'm impressed. That's a cool thing about FW, there is such a diversity of genres. Your fantasy story will fit right in and it sounds like there is some historical and Biblical fiction in there too.

One of the best ways to hone your writing skills is to participate in the weekly challenges. We get around 100 stories each month and I would say they get the most readers. If you can afford the few dollars a month to become a Gold or Platinum member, the benefits of the challenges alone are worth it. For me the topic has taught me to stretch my imagination and to think outside the box. The word limit has made me tighten my writing which helps get rid of sentences or descriptions that aren't vital to the story. Best of all, having a deadline helps me to write on a regular basis. I tend to procrastinate and with a deadline looming it's a tad harder to do,

The message boards are packed with good places to get to know one another. One of my favorite spots is the Pacific Coast Rest Stop. You don't have to live there, I'm from Western NY but it is a delightful small group that tease a tad, pray a lot and love unconditionally.

The Open Forum is a great place to find general writing questions. People will talk about self-publishing vs traditional. You may see a thread about punctuation or grammar there too.There are quite a few people there who have had experience with traditional publishers as well as some self-publishers. If you're not sure about a certain company or wonder about writing a query letter that is a great place to check out. viewforum.php?f=1

The Prayer Forum is a great place to pray for other members or to add your request. There is something special about knowing virtual strangers are praying for me. What a sense of relief. This is the link to that --http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpBB2/viewforum.php

The Water Cooler is another great place to get to know people or just to pop in and talk about the weather or pretty much anything. viewforum.php?f=4

One of my favorite things about FW is the Critique Corner. You can submit one story and asked for feedback but before you can submit another one you have to leave feedback for someone else. I think this is great to encourage others to leave feedback. I've also found giving constructive criticism helps me discover what I like or don't like in my own work as well.

If you would like to PM with any questions about your story or would like me to read a bit of it, I'd be delighted to help out. You just click on my username on the left and it should take you to my profile. If you use the boards PM you don't have to be a paying member but the site one is only available to paying members.

Most of all just explore and have fun. Jump in on any conversations you might have an interest in. Don't hesitate to answer any questions you might have either. :welcome
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:47 am

Oh and you may want to hop over to the newbie nook to introduce yourself. That way more people will be likely to see your message plus it's a great way for others to welcome you and find out a bit about what you're interested in and what you're looking for in this site. Here is the link viewforum.php?f=3
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

tonguethaid
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby tonguethaid » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Welcome!! Your story sounds fascinating
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Welcome! That sounds like a really cool mix of genres.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Return to Fiction Forum