To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Who Here Has Made-up Countries?

If Fiction is your forte, this is the forum for you. This is the place to share information and get help on the road to writing the next great novel.

Moderators: itsjoanne, Sparrow, RedBaron

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Re: Who Here Has Made-up Countries?

Postby Arpy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Try writing everything backwards, switching the letters where they don't fit.
Duoy eb desirprus woh ysae ti si ot ecnuonorp.
Arpy

I write adventures, historical fiction, war stories, fantasies, psychological and spy thrillers.

IN PROGRESS:
Snaga - fan fiction fantasy
Emira - action adventure
Confessions of an Evil Genius - psychological thriller
The Play-Actor - sci-fi, historical, psychological spy thriller
Dreamreader - YA psychological thriller
A fantasy without a title
RECENT DRAFTS:
Royal Opposition - action adventure

Hoomi
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Hoomi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:41 am

I started out with a planet, and then extended out to what I've labeled the Hundred Worlds Archipelago. The Archipelago encompasses the various worlds terraformed and colonized by the Terrans from Earth. Independent of the Archipelago is the fourth planet of the Epsilon Eridani system, called Qi'le by her inhabitants. The people of Qi'le are every bit as human as the Terrans, and the religious elements of both cultures maintain that God simply created humanity in the same image in both worlds.

Qi'le speech is a musical form, with the connotations of a word being conveyed by how it is sung. Rather than having many words to convey different nuances of a similar root, a single root word is used for all the nuances. For the most part in the story, I only use a few transliterations of the Eridani words in the text. In most cases, when the Eridanis speak, it is shown in italics, and has the added trait of never containing any contractions.

Qi'le is a Theocracy, similar to what might have been the ideal for Israel, had the people not demanded a human king. The Theocracy is ruled from the central Temple, and administered by a class of Priestesses, all of whom are descended from the women of a village that, way back in history, stood in defense of a persecuted prophet.

So far in the series of stories, I've written tales taking place on Epsilon Eridanus, Earth, on Earth's moon, on one of the Eridani moons, a planet around the star Alsafi, and one other world that I need to go review the story and remind myself of which star I situated it around.

Edit: An excerpt, on my blog, of the first Eridanus story:

http://www.podtalesandponderings.blogspot.com/2008/12/friday-fiction-for-december-26th-2008.html
“It is the artist who realizes that there is a supreme force above him and works gladly away as a small apprentice under God's heaven.” ~ Alexandr Solzhenitsyn

Marta's Pod, the sequel to Cardan's Pod, on Kickstarter now.

Accord64
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Accord64 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:24 am

I aged the Earth 75 years. It's not so much making up new countries, but what happened to the old ones.

JasonTJ
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby JasonTJ » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:26 am

I've got a medieval fantasy story going in it's own little world, but it's not connected to earth at all. I have seven different 'nations', and with the main character being a linguist, I've begun to create part of a language too. It's a blast!
I didn't think it would happen.
Didn't think it could.
But now I feel foolish.
I feel like a boy thrust into war,
Becoming a man all in the moment of a first battle.
I'm sorry I couldn't see before,
My immaturity.
I promise I'll do my best to grow up.
To put God first in my life.
To not dwell on this hard time.
And that you'll always be my best friend... after God.

Stina Rose
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Stina Rose » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:51 am

JasonTJ wrote:I've got a medieval fantasy story going in it's own little world, but it's not connected to earth at all.

My first novels were medieval fantasy (no magic) set in a world not connected with Earth. I'm glad I'm not alone. :)

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:10 pm

Arpy wrote:Try writing everything backwards, switching the letters where they don't fit.
Duoy eb desirprus woh ysae ti si ot ecnuonorp.

I'm not sure it was easy to pronounce for me, but I had no problem at all reading it. Him there's an idea, a story written backwards--but would you start at the end or the beginning of it?might make a cute mini break challenge :D
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Jonmickie
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Jonmickie » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:44 am

A late addition here!

I've written my first (hopefully not last!) fantasy novel set in a fictional, semi medieval realm. Created by Song, where those who hold the Creators Song dear are under threat from a great evil that stalks this realm.

It's on Kindle - The Weavers Song

I like the idea of creating fantasy realms.

I would like to create one which is very like ours but a step aside in some way.

Loviene
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Loviene » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:32 pm

Haha... I've been making up worlds ever since I started writing :) Who needs the knowledge required to write in the real world when you can just make one up? ;)

My most developed and consistent is Irthia: a land all its own with eight continents and seven specific cultures that I call tribes. I'm such a nerd of my own mind I have histories and flags and traditions and everything for it ;) Maybe someday I'll actually finish my series set there. I have too much information on the world for the story's good, honestly :)

Glad to know I am not the only world-creator out there ;)
"The place God calls us to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet."
~Frederick Beuchner

Previous

Return to Fiction Forum