To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

New Novel Group

If Fiction is your forte, this is the forum for you. This is the place to share information and get help on the road to writing the next great novel.

Moderators: itsjoanne, Sparrow, RedBaron

preacherman1587
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

New Novel Group

Postby preacherman1587 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:46 pm

Hey everyone, I am embarking on a journey in writing a novel. And I am sure I am not the only one ready to start this long journey. The one thing that help most of us the most is someone who could read our story as we go along and help us come up with ideas when we are stuck. Also someone who can hold us accountable.

So I am looking for four other people who want to go through this journey together. Here is how it will work. First, we write a chapter of our book. Then we post it so the others can critique it, make suggestions for improvements.

I do not know what would be the best way for us to keep in contact and read each other's work, but we can figure that all out later.

Any takers?

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: New Novel Group

Postby Deb Porter » Thu May 08, 2014 10:58 pm

Just clarifying here, you are looking for four people who are currently in the process of writing a novel? Is that right? So you basically want to start a fiction writers' support group, sort of. Sounds like a good idea, but you may need to make sure that each member has at least some interest in each of the genres in the group.

Hope you find some interested people. Just don't post your chapters publicly. You would need to work through email to share your chapters, with perhaps a private group in Facebook to discuss things together. (Just a suggestion . . . but definitely, don't post your chapters publicly anywhere. Not even in a private FB group).

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

preacherman1587
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby preacherman1587 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:18 pm

Yes, a writer's support group is exactly what I was thinking. And I think that a Facebook group would probably be best, and definitely not posting our chapters anywhere.

I think specifying the genre would be helpful.....

The novel I am starting on is a syfy novel.

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Thu May 08, 2014 11:52 pm

Hope you find some takers. :D
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Come forth
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Fri May 09, 2014 12:01 am

I could be interested in this. My genre would be fiction and some would call it scifi being in the Frank Peretti style. (I've sent you a PM)

Obviously I have concerns about time frames, commitment to others if the group goes too large and expectations.

I'll also notify a friend of this thread and check out his interest.

I'm keen but cannot commit until we have threshed out a few more points.

Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

Hoomi

Postby Hoomi » Sat May 10, 2014 3:01 am

I'm more in revision mode right now, rather than writing mode, along with awaiting the editing of Marta's Pod. If I move back into writing mode, a critique group such as this could be beneficial. I write Christian Sci-fi, and even was privileged to be a speaker at last years FW Conference on "writing outside the box."

As Deb stated, don't post chapters publicly. One, if more than a few excerpts of a story are posted on the 'net, publishing companies view that as "previously published," and will reject the submission outright without any other consideration (even if they're only posted here on the FW forums). The only way to get by that rejection, is if you self-publish and sell so many copies that the traditional publishing house decides your book will sell enough to offset the previous availability. Posting online can also open you up to having someone steal your work. You'll either need a protected sandbox page where participants can post their chapters, or, as Deb suggested, share them via email, with the added understanding that participants cannot share others' work with anyone else without the author's permission.

I'll keep an eye on this topic, though, and see how the group develops. If you end up one short, I'll rack my brain for an idea and get back to work.

Of course, I'm sure Eva and Marta will happily smack me upside the head to get me writing again. :shock:
“It is the artist who realizes that there is a supreme force above him and works gladly away as a small apprentice under God's heaven.” ~ Alexandr Solzhenitsyn

Marta's Pod, the sequel to Cardan's Pod, on Kickstarter now.

joshuabenefiel
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby joshuabenefiel » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:06 pm

It's been a few months since this topic was started, but I would be interested in contributing. I'm roughly at the climax of the novel I am writing, but it has been slow going for the past few months. Having a group of fellow writers to push and keep me accountable would be beneficial. Let me know.
"Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingertips." - Isaac Asimov

Return to Fiction Forum