To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

capitlization

Got a burning grammar question? Not sure how to write without a run on. Aren't sure if you're telling when you should be showing? Here's the forum to ask your question. Our amazing Jan Ackerson is here to help.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

pcimeisr
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

capitlization

Postby pcimeisr » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:42 pm

I have trouble with capitalization. One specific question I have is capitalizing something that you don't want capitalized because it will give away the plot. One example is my story, "She had a Moose". Moose is the nickname of a big burly guy. The intent is to deceive the readers into thinking it is the animal moose. I am not sure what that is called if a person is like a moose, simile or as a moose metaphor. In any event, would you capitalize moose since it is his nickname, or in other storys do you capitalize things like goliath, if you use it as a simile-if that is what that is. Another example would be, " I was confronted by a bubba" would bubba be capitalized since it isn't a person's name, but a stereotype? I hope I made myself clear enough for you to address the question. Thanks.

glorybee

Re: capitlization

Postby glorybee » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:25 am

pcimeisr wrote:I have trouble with capitalization. One specific question I have is capitalizing something that you don't want capitalized because it will give away the plot. One example is my story, "She had a Moose". Moose is the nickname of a big burly guy. The intent is to deceive the readers into thinking it is the animal moose. I am not sure what that is called if a person is like a moose, simile or as a moose metaphor. In any event, would you capitalize moose since it is his nickname, or in other storys do you capitalize things like goliath, if you use it as a simile-if that is what that is. Another example would be, " I was confronted by a bubba" would bubba be capitalized since it isn't a person's name, but a stereotype? I hope I made myself clear enough for you to address the question. Thanks.

Wow--this is something that's never come up before! I'll answer the last bit first, while I think about the first.

"Goliath" can be an adjective meaning 'enormous,' and in that case, you'd leave it lower case: She was walking her goliath dog. If you're using it as a metaphorical noun--the dog at the end of the leash was an absolute Goliath--then it would be upper case.

In the example you've given using 'bubba,' I'd feel comfortable leaving it uncapitalized.

I'm just not sure, though, about your 'Moose/moose' question. There's not really a rule that covers this, because your stated purpose is to misdirect your readers. So you're going to have to resolve it to your own satisfaction as a writer--to decide where to switch from lower case to upper case in order to achieve your intended purpose.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer

Return to Ask an Editor