To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Firefox vs. Faithwriters

Your place to interact directly with the owners of FaithWriters.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, beaedwards, itsjoanne

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Firefox vs. Faithwriters

Postby deejay » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Usually, I have no problem accessing Faithwriters. But a few minutes ago, when I put www.faithwriters.com in the search field, Firefox popped up a notice saying this was a placeholder link, and that --I forget what it was now--something didn't get updated (cache, maybe?). So I got here via the articles link. This has never happened before; what gives? I switched from Internet Explorer to Firefox because 1.) I heard after sometime this year, IE was no longer going to be supported, and 2.) I'd tried FF before, and it seemed to be faster than IE. But now I keep getting popups saying one thing or another is slow, or not responding, or I otherwise need more time to do stuff. It's like that one meme on icanhascheezburger that says "FireFocks haz crashed, needs cuddlez", while showing a bandaged fox.

So, what's up with this?

RedBaron

Re: Firefox vs. Faithwriters

Postby RedBaron » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:20 pm

I use Firefox for FaithWriters all the time and have never had that happen. You should clear your cache, run something like Malwarebytes or other clean up program. I use Addons like Adblock Plus, NoScript (so I can only allow what needs to be allowed on each page).

I only use IE to reinstall Firefox and Chrome (I use it for work things). I almost always have both Firefox and Chrome open at the same time.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:55 pm

Okay, thanks! :thankssign

CatLin

Postby CatLin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:31 pm

I use Firefox exclusively (unless, like Shari said, I need to install Firefox on a new install). I've never experienced anything like what you have. I agree that you might have picked up a virus or something. I'm sorry you're having troubles!
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:37 am

Tried clearing my cache, but only got it down to 144 KB from 350 KB, the default limit.

I'm constantly getting unresponsive plug-in pop-ups, especially for Shockwave.

I have VIPRE Internet Defender as my anti-virus, but I can't seem to update it even when using instructions from ThreatTrack. Only once have I had a virus get through in 5 or 6 years that I've been using it. Maybe I should try a deep scan.

vision2win
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby vision2win » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:41 am

Last edited by vision2win on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:20 pm

This is not the appropriate forum for this post, this was about technical issues with Firefox. I attempted to move it to the Writing Challenge section, but the site is not cooperating.

But, that being said, the site has changed over the last few years. There is a lot less feedback than there has been, a lot less participation on the forum (partly due to Facebook) and the Challenge itself. I know I haven't entered regularly in ages.

The best way to get Feedback in the Challenge is still to post a link to it from the forum, after the winners have been announced.

As far as what the judges are looking for, I can't speak for them, but Jan has been posting some lessons talking about the different judging criteria. Also, here is information on how things are judged. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=31273

vision2win wrote:I wrote years ago when Faithwriters was basically free, even to enter the writing challenges. I appreciate the opportunity to be a gold member. But find my first writing challenge disappointing. I mean...one feedback, telling me to keep writing, does not let me know anything about how my writing appeals to this website and my readers. I am a good writer, and when I enter other contests on other websites, I usually place at least second, and/or receive an honorable mention. I had expected to get something more here, for some reason.

I am not trying to be mean, but I got more feedback when everything was free. I expected to get several comments this time around as a gold member, and I only got one. A few entries received two comments. No one from the 500 group said anything to me at all.

And when I look at the previous winners, the ones that place high, are the ones who tell nice stories. Some of their technical abilities are lacking, but their stories are good. I am wondering if this is what the judges want? I think they would rather the writers tell nice stories, then show technical abilities.

I usually do have some theme and/or story my work, but the way I write, makes people think. To dig deeper, to get the true meaning to what is being said. Again, I am not trying to be mean, but not sure if this is a place to be for me. I want to grow as a writer in my technique. Not just tell nice stories.

I will try a couple of more times, and see what happens. But to be honest, like the last time...I doubt I will even get an honorable mention, much less any placement. I just don't think my writing style appeals to this website.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

beaedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby beaedwards » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:47 pm

Thank you for addressing this issue with your wisdom. Yes unfortunately Facebook has created a void in the forums.

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:59 am

We encourage people to "spread the love" each week, giving feedback to encourage their fellow writers. If we could find a way to get people to leave more feedback, it would be wonderful. I'm not sure how to make that happen.

The Platinum members are able to order two ratings reports per quarter, and that does fill a void. Loads of work (on my part) providing that service, but at least it does provide a bit of help.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

vision2win
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby vision2win » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:53 pm

Sorry... I did not understand. New to forum. I deleted my content, but don't know how to delete the post. I won't post again. Don't want to make same mistake twice. I will just private message in future if I need help.

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:30 pm

Aww ... please don't feel bad. The forums can be a bit confusing at first. It wasn't a problem, except that your post may have been missed because it was in the wrong place.

It can take a little while to get the hang of things, but don't worry. Usually we can move a post in the wrong place, but apparently couldn't that time.

(((HUGS)))
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:51 pm

vision2win wrote:Sorry... I did not understand. New to forum. I deleted my content, but don't know how to delete the post. I won't post again. Don't want to make same mistake twice. I will just private message in future if I need help.

No, you don't have to stop posting. I was just trying to clarify that we have different sections for different topics. I did say I tried to move it to the correct section, so you could get more replies, but the site wasn't letting me do it.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

deejay

Postby deejay » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Please post again. I bet you have some really interesting things to say. Otherwise you wouldn't be here.

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:39 am

First no worries at all about not posting in the other forum. It used to be worse before they trimmed the topics and threads down some, but almost everyone has done it at some time. As a moderator I know that some posts won't get replies if it's in an older thread so Shari only wanted to help when posting that. It can be frustrating if no one answers your questions. I urge you to give it another try. Hopefully, next time it'll be a better experience.

Something I don't think anyone mentioned is that first week the author's name is withheld so no one would know if you are a silver, gold or platinum member. Also being in one group doesn't ensure more comments. The levels are for the perks. A great way to get extensive feedback is through the Critique Circle. I think you need to be a platinum member to access it but am not positive. You will get feedback from at least one or two people and likely from a professional editor.

Another perk the platinum members can get is up to two reports from the judges per quarter. You have to request it before the next topic begins (the week right after the day the winners are announced.) I also believe FW is still offering a money back guarantee for platinum members. If after 6 months you have participated in the challenge, left feedback, tried Jan's Writing Basics and a few other things, but don't see your writing improving, you can ask for your money back.

Also, I've noticed personally the more I comment, the more I receive feedback. When someone comments on my piece, often instead of sending a thank you, I'll click on their names and leave a comment on one of their stories. I've found leaving comments not only encourages others but helps me learn more myself. If everyone who enters would commit to commenting on every piece in their level and then a couple from a higher level, people would get amazing feedback and it really doesn't take too long either.

Please post again. Check out some of the fun posts in the water cool like yuck or yum, ask me a question or first word that comes to mind. These threads are fun and a great way to get to know each other too. Hugs :grouphug :grouphug2 :grouphug
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Return to Feedback for FaithWriters - Mike & Bea's Corner