To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Welcome to a new forum

Tell us your experience with God while serving your country.

Moderators: mikeedwards, JimmyMack

JimmyMack
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Welcome to a new forum

Postby JimmyMack » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:37 pm

Mike and Bea have graciously agreed to a new forum geared to military personnel and their families. Included here are active duty and well as former and retired servicepeople. The idea is for the community to express the importance of their God in their service and how He has impacted them. It is a wonderful place to discuss anything about your service provided that we always put God first.

Maybe you have an example of when you were frozen by fear but God helped, or you were feeling very lonely because your loved one was away and you worried about their safety, or maybe even you would like to express yourself regarding the loss of a loved one due to military service. The "sky can be the limit", it's entirely up to you.

I would only caution that non one should try and use this forum as a military bashing forum. I know and understand that there a large number of Christians who in their heart are opposed to military service, and I certainly respect their decision to feel that way. But please, this is not the place. This is the place to respect the men and women who have been, or are now, in service to their country. It is a place for honor of brave Christian soldiers. After all, if you are called to protect the country that you love, would you rather have people doing the work who have the compassion and kindness of Jesus in their hearts or someone who does not?

I asked Mike to give us this opportunity because I am a former Army Infantry officer and I know the stress and strains associated with service in any of the branches. I prayed often and loud for help to combat my fears and to do my service within the bounds of a dignified code of conduct. It wasn't always easy, but I always did my best, even though I know many times I failed. But being a human with human frailties, I know that Jesus understands. He just wanted me to do the best I humanly could to follow His guidance.

So welcome aboard, I will start posting things soon myself to get things started. These might even include some things from my family in WWII. I hope those of you who love the military will help me make this Forum a huge success. God bless.

RedBaron

Re: Welcome to a new forum

Postby RedBaron » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:51 pm

This is an awesome idea! :) :superhappy
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Shann

Postby Shann » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:20 pm

I think it is an awesome idea too. Personally I want to offer my gratitude and utmost respect for those serving their country and for the families that make incredible sacrifices every day of the year to ensure that my family and I are safe. God bless you all. :thankssign :clap
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JimmyMack
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby JimmyMack » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks to those who are already taking a look and providing their encouragement. God bless you all.

JimmyMack
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby JimmyMack » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:40 am

We have had quite a few views since this forum and its subs (dependents, WW2) were initiated. I would like to see more experiences to really open this thing up. I know that those of you have either had, or had life experiences related to, military service and this forum is a wonderful place to share it with fellow Christians. God plays the major role in all that we do, and nowhere is it more evident than in the lives of Christian men and women who put their very lives on line for their fellow citizens.

From time to time I will post more of my own true stories, either from my first hand experience or from what I heard from family members, a large number of whom served proudly. I might even include the Merchant Marine in wartime since they played a vital role in WW2 in keeping the transportation shipping lanes open.

So please join with me; continue to read what is here but don't be bashful, tell us your own stories. They are important to show your relationship with God as well as being a part of American history.

Have a wonderful Lord's Day and God bless.

cgalmond
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby cgalmond » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:46 am

I served in the United Nations in Korea. I was a British National Serviceman. Just before leaving Korea I had a time with an American howitzer battery. I was a signaller in the British Artillery 25 pounders. The reason I was with the howitzer battery was because they had been brought in to stop us being crested on mountain tops. They were on our wireless net, hence our presence. I remember the food they had just like home cooking!.

Ex Gunner Cyril Almond.

JimmyMack
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby JimmyMack » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:12 pm

I just wanted to comment on the fine post submitted by the British service member who served in Korea. There are many horrific experiences from the Korean War and I have learned from family of one family member who personified what these soldiers went through.

My older relative was assigned with the Army in support of the Chosen Reservoir battle. For those of you who don't know, the American forces were isolated at Chosen in the bitter cold without proper clothing for winter warfare. They ran out of food and ammo and went face to face against a human wave assault by North Korean and Chinese forces.

My relative, an inlaw, was assigned to the Signal Corps and played a part in trying to maintain open lines of communications to Chosen. They lost contact due to the bloody conflict, and when they were finally able to break through to the defenders they found many men frozen to death in place in summer fatigues and others who had been bloodied and butchered. It was one horrible period and the Americans had to retreat, those that could, to avoid complete disaster.

God bless the memory of those brave men who lost their lives for a cause about which they really had no understanding. And let us learn from this situation not to repeat it. If men must go to war, let them at least be properly outfitted for the job that they are called upon to do.

God bless all of our fighting men and women and those of our Allies.

wandasewell
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby wandasewell » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:58 pm

I liked seeing these posts. As March 28, 2013 approaches, I am mindful of my own journey in the USAF. I entered on 12/14/1979 at the age of 22 after a delayed enlistment of 4 months. This entrance date was my grandma Hazel's birthday. While in Richmond, VA processing in I had to call her collect just to wish her a Happy Birthday. I'll visit this site and post a continuation of my story rather than place a lengthy on here now. To tell why 3/28/83 is so important, it is my day of giving my heart to Jesus while in Alamogordo, NM. I was stationed at Holloman AFB., NM from Jan or Feb 1980 until Aug. 1983.

JimmyMack
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby JimmyMack » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:08 pm

This is in response to Wanda's post re:entering the service at a young age. What got my attention was her mention of entering at Richmond, Virginia at the age of 22. I also entered at Richmond at the downtown AAFEES Station albeit 10 years earlier also at age 22 during the Vietnam conflict. I was fresh out of college and had received my draft notice only four days after graduation.

I said goodbye to my new wife at 5:30 am in Hampton, VA and under military orders rode the Greyhound to Richmond. The entry day was one of standing in line and listening to the frightful stories about war being told by draftees knowing no more, probably much less, than I did.

At the end of a 10 hr. day of being tested, poked, made fun of and hunger, our group was finally taken to the railroad station for travel to Basic Combat Training at Fort Dix, NJ. I will never forget that night. Already being homesick, I missed my pretty new wife and wondered why in the world God would put me in this situation.

Now over 43 years later, I know. The Army taught me rules, listening to others, and it helped my conquer fear of the unknown. And it ultimately made me much closer to my God and the realization that I needed Him. Following my basic training courses I attended Officer Candidate School and became a 2d Lieutenant of Infantry before heading overseas. I accomplished things I would have never attempted had my service not been required.

So thanks, Wanda, for reminding me. It has been a long time but I still remember vividly that day. Thank the Lord that he keeps our good memories alive while muffling the bad ones. I can laugh thinking about that day. At the time it was no laughing matter.

tomoral
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby tomoral » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Having a dear friend who has serves three tours in Iraq and come back sane and without physical injuries, I have a greater respect for our troops than ever. Throughout my life I have mourned those lost or wounded in battle, from Viet Nam to Afghanistan, to Iraq.

I have always felt honored by our service men and women and think they deserve all the accolades in the world. I read this the other day and came close to tears at it's truth :bow

"The ones who defend our safety, freedom, and right to our way of life deserve to be paid at least as much as one those pros who defend nothing but a football."

How sad that they don't. :(
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

wandasewell
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby wandasewell » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:42 pm

Your Welcome Jimmymack. I enjoyed your testimony.

Return to Military Service Members - The Positive Impact of God in Service