To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Viet Nam

Tell us your experience with God while serving your country.

Moderators: mikeedwards, JimmyMack

JimmyMack
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Viet Nam

Postby JimmyMack » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:54 am

Probably the worst war experience from a soldier viewpoint was the Viet Nam conflict. An undeclared war, thousands of Americans in the prime of life went off to fight in a faraway, often unexplained war, many to die or be maimed for life. Furthermore, after the Tet Offensive, which was seriously misrepresented by the American media, much of the support for these young men evaporated. And for the first time in American warfare annals, many were welcomed with boos and curse words for their service. Often we soldiers in America were told we couldn't even wear our uniforms in public.

Young men and women in uniform did their duty. Whatever your opinion on the war, these soldiers were not to blame yet they suffered greatly. And many of them never readjusted back to civilian life. Just check a VA Hospital today and you will see many of them. Physical problems, pain, mental issues, the full range is found.

God help us to always remember the courage and bravery of these young people who sacrificed so much for a country that in many ways turned its back on them. May those still troubled find peace and tranquility at long last. They were some of our finest and deserve our love and care.
And those who condemned them should be ashamed.

I would welcome anyone else's comments on this grave situation. This is the generation of service of which I was a part. It was a major learning experience for me that always has impacted my life.

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Viet Nam

Postby mikeedwards » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:48 am

We do owe a great debt of gratitude to those who have served our country in the service. Taking the time to thank a person in uniform when you see them only takes a moment but goes a long way. Take it one step further and talk to them about Christ if you can. Give them a small pocket testament and tell them you will be praying for them. Then get their name and really do it. As for those who disagree let us remember to show grace. Let us remember that God does come first and that the kingdom of God will be made up of people from all nations and tribes. Thanks for this post Jimmy Mack.
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

wandasewell
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby wandasewell » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:07 pm

I was just a kid during vietnam but I had an uncle who was active duty Army and was never the same afterward. I was also a Navy dep. as my father and step-father were active duty. My father was in France when I was born at Bethesda Naval Hosp. in MD and when mother remarried my step-dad got orders to Rota, Spain in the '60's and we lived there for almost 4 yrs. I hated, once I grew up to come to the understanding of how unpopular this war was and all the mistreatment that took place. I hope much healing is continuing for those who served.

dub
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby dub » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanx for the thread...
"Here I am Lord, send me."

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:37 pm

I came of age during the Viet Nam war. My brother spent two years there and although his life was fairly successful for a while, (he became deputy chief of the fire dept) he was never same after. He retired after 25 years with the fire dept. and literally drank himself to death at the age of 54. The flashbacks and pain never left him.

I had friends who died and some who came back wounded. both physically and mentally. I am proud of all those who served, but it was a shame they had to fight a war such as that. Then to come home to those to who called them "baby killers" and "murderers" was a crime against their humanity.

God bless all veterans of all wars, and keep them close to you.
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

dub

Postby dub » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:43 pm

When I am depressed I write about the war ... I don't watch much news about current fighting. However, if you have nothing to do, you might search through some of my essays - there are two or three modest lightly treated fiction pieces. Also, there is a somewhat fictionalized essay concerning events surrounding my return home. That's about as much as I want to say, though I am putting some things together to save for my grandchildren.

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Would love to read them Dub, how do I find them? I know you only as "Dub"

Blessings, Lynn
Of the beasts in life

dub

Postby dub » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:25 pm

I too have looked and find but a few here at FW, e.g. "Dog saw it First". There are a couple of others largely on the same theme and event. The essay I wrote about my return was poised in another Christian forum and now it is not to be found. I may have a copy on an old flash drive. I have a motive ... for finding such. A friend of mine at the Viet Vets Assoc and I are compiling some stories to put into a collection.

JimmyMack
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby JimmyMack » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:26 am

This is in response to the entry from Dub. I agree that none of us in the military during Viet Nam really like to think about it, yet it is a very important part of our lives. Fear, pumped up adrenalin, exhaustion, relief, anxiety. These are just some of the terms that come to mind.

I don't think modern day Americans can ever fully grasp the feeling of a GI returning from Viet Nam to be called names, have things thrown at them, and other unbecoming behavior. It's an experience no one should ever have to go through.

From anger and hate, I learned to pray for these people that they might find God in their hearts and know that soldiers, when called to do a job, just do it. That is all they can do. And many of these same soldiers daily asked God to get them through their turmoil and torment. None of them wanted to be in a war; but they honored the call to service and did the best they could in a very bad situation. No matter what you hear or is said, war is always Hell.

Many today are still suffering and were never given the care needed to return them to productive society. I pray for their deliverance from their torment daily through the grace of God.

And bless you for your service, Dub. God knows, he always knows.

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:15 pm

I read "Dog Saw It First"/ Riveting and compelling. Thank you for sharing that part of your life. :thankssign
Of the beasts in life

cgalmond
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby cgalmond » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:20 am

I was a young British National Serviceman during the Korean war. We were forgotten the same as the servicemen who served in the Far East in world war two. But one thing I remembered, this was trench warfare and at the back of the line you would find. Church of Scotland and Salvation Army and they had courage to be there. And being British they could make a nice cup of tea.!

Return to Military Service Members - The Positive Impact of God in Service