To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

LOOKING FOR IDEAS

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, itsjoanne, cori67, Sparrow, beaedwards, RedBaron

sampson95
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

LOOKING FOR IDEAS

Postby sampson95 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:58 pm

Hey Everyone,

I hope the Winter is easier on you than here in the NE, the snowstorms have been relentless. :brrr

Whenever I need ideas, I come to my Faithwriters family- here I am again. The economic "recovery" has not reached me yet and the rollout of the Health Care Plan has caused my schools where I teach to change and eliminate work loads. I am very underemployed and am looking for opportunities to write or teach in the fields of Biblical Studies/Theology or Philosophy. I teach Philosophy (Intro, Logic, and Ethics) at a local community college. All my teaching is done on an adjunct basis. :( :(

My publications are posted in the "cheering section". But, I have expanded my writing into the fields of Human Dignity and Personhood. I have begun to examine the thought which stands as a foundation to Biblical concepts- I call it the proofs behind the professions (cute, huh).

Also, I have grown as a Christian, after being in an accident with a Drunk Driver some years ago (he blew a .318 blood alcohol level) which left me with a slightly disabled arm and a lot of arthritis. I always understood the Christ of the NT Theology, but since then I have come to know Jesus the Shepherd, on a very personal basis. The triumphant Christ that emerged from the empty tomb has pointed me to the gentle shepherd on the Cross.

I would like to share my knowledge and Christian growth-BUT I DO NOT KNOW HOW!!!!!!

Any Ideas??

Blessings to all,
John

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: LOOKING FOR IDEAS

Postby deejay » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Take your accident, which I presume is what brought you to a saving knowledge of Christ, and write a testimony of what you were like before, plus your family background. Show your struggles of faith, especially in light of your accident, and how that has brought you to know Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, and what you're like now--what has changed. Write it as if you were talking to a friend, conversationally, but don't get technical. What have you learned since your accident? How has your worldview changed? That should get you off to a good start.

As an extra help, read books by Christian authors on how they handled major life changes--one in particular is Joni Eareckson Tada. She wrote an entire series on her life before, during and after being paralyzed from the neck down in a diving accident. They are well-written; the first book, "Joni" gives her background, the account of her accident and rehab, and would be a good model for how a testimonial book should be written.

sampson95
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby sampson95 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:49 am

Hey Deejay,
Your ideas on writing about my journey were very helpful, thanks :thankssign

What venues or forums would you suggest? I would like to share my experience and education with as many people as possible and, perhaps, even make some money along the way.

In the years after the accident my faith did undergo tremendous struggles; worldviews, priorities, careers all shifted or changed. I was looking for a dramatic miracle to restore my old life and to mend my now-limited arm. The miracle came, not as a thundering rending of the heavens but as a quiet voice guiding me to greater successes even with my limitations.

I found a way to success, if not money- but that is a universal problem now, and I want to show others the way that I found.

I would appreciate your input.

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:07 pm

Well, right here on Faithwriters is a place where you can post your story/ies, testimony, etc.. You can select if it's for sale or not. Also, you could start a blog; I used to have one on MySpace, but it's changed so much in focus that I don't recommend it. There's Blogger, I understand that's free, or ask any of the other members on here. Since folks here have links to their writings and blogs, perhaps you could get ideas by looking at those.

Return to Open Forum