To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Regaining Writing Momentum

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, beaedwards, cori67, itsjoanne, Sparrow

dmbowman
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Regaining Writing Momentum

Postby dmbowman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Does anyone have tips to offer on how to regain writing momentum after an extended break?

Much of the past year has been taken up with illness, then buying a mold-free house, remodeling it, moving in, and unpacking. Now I'm ready to dig back in to writing but can't seem to get going again. Suggestions?

:sofa

itsjoanne

Re: Regaining Writing Momentum

Postby itsjoanne » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:11 am

My first thought is freewriting. Set a timer (10 minutes, maybe?) and sit down and write whatever comes to mind -even if it is the same word over and over. Most likely, you will eventually get something else going.

Also, with all you've had going on, writing about what has kept you from writing is also a good start.

Or, in a few weeks, write something for the writing challenge (or even pick an old topic and write that - then post it in free reprints.

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Your timing is funny. I haven't written for myself in over a year. I've been sick and doing editing so I just didn't feel motivated. Then my daughter called and she needed a story for a lesson plan she was doing and she needed it soon. I wanted to crawl back into bed but my daughter needed me. I went through old challenges and found one that would kind of work and then totally rewrote it to meet my daughter's needs. Having a deadline (and my daughter calling and texting asking if I was done) helped a lot. I wrote a story that would fit her lesson plan, but then she wanted it from three different POVs. It turned out really fun and she loved it. I ended up coming up with an idea and writing 4 stories in 12 hours. Actual writing time including rewrites was more like 3 or 4 hours, but I felt so good to do it again.

Maybe you could do something similar to just get going. Go through your challenges (I picked an early one because they need rewriting anyway). Try to find one with at least 3 characters and then write the story from each character's point of view. I'll try to post mine to show you what I did. I can't do it know, but will add the link when I do.

I think the most important thing is to have a deadline. A real deadline works better for me, but perhaps you can do well with a self-imposed one.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

writingsherry
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby writingsherry » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:21 pm

This is a vicious cycle for me and I so feel your pain. I go through periods where I'm on fire- I can crank out a devotional or a challenge entry every day. Then something stressful or challenging or emotionally draining happens that completely shakes my confidence and I run out of gas. I haven't written anything substantial in months and I'm past frustrated. Ideas don't come anymore and I wonder what the heck God put me here for because this writing thing just isn't working...so yeah, I get it. Lately I've just started journaling again at night. I write down everything that happened during the day and how it has affected me. Then I do the same thing in the morning. I am hoping at some point that the journaling will extend into time at my desk and eventually an idea to spring from. That's what I'm praying for, anyway.

philippa
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby philippa » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:21 pm

I hear you! The journal approach sounds wonderful. I've begun to think the Father is into seasons in a greater way than I thought.
I too could once write with words dripping from my fingertips. Not -by comparison- arresting work but I was loving the process. Then it stopped. It seemed inspiration had hunkered down for a long Winter season. I would stare at the white screen as one stares at a monochrome landscape. Nothing to do but let the roots reach down into intimacy.
I am listening for the voice of the Bridegroom as in Song of Songs 2:11. Sometimes i catch the fragrance.
Yes the journal idea is sound.
Philippa

lish1936
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby lish1936 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:25 pm

dmbowman wrote:Much of the past year has been taken up with illness, then buying a mold-free house, remodeling it, moving in, and unpacking. Now I'm ready to dig back in to writing but can't seem to get going again. Suggestions?

Write about what you know and have experienced. Looks as if you've had a lot of experiences/material over the last year to draw from... any amusing incidents from your remodeling and moving, any "how to" advice, or perhaps a devotional about something God taught you during your illness.

Late advice. Maybe the muse has already visited you. :D

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

GreenLeaves

Postby GreenLeaves » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:57 am

I just found this forum, and must say that's where I am as well. Beginning to think maybe my time of writing is in the past. Inspiration comes so rarely when it used to flow so well. And yet, it's when I am writing that I feel that sense of satisfaction, that sense of "rightness". Does that make sense?

I know with my chronic pain and fatigue with fibro and sciatic issues, it often feels like I am just taking up space. But there's a spiritual delight and sense of completion when I write. I long to be in that flow again.

I too would appreciate any insight you might be able to share with me.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:06 pm

Having suffered with shingles-like outbreaks for over 28 years and postherpetic neuralgia, I've been through many dark times. Once I was having a temper tantrum declaring my uselessness and God told me I was like the man in the flood when a car came by and offered me a ride to higher ground, but firm in my faith. o.o said God will save me. When a boat came I still,shouted God will,save me. As I clung to the chimney, a helicopter offered help once more, but once more I was determined God would save me. When I died and got to heaven I asked God why he didn't save me. He answered I sent you a car, a boat, and helicopter.

Of course, I think we have all experienced this. That day he told me I had everything I needed a bible, paper, and stories. I just needed to use them.

Since then my calling has changed to editing. I wasn't at all happy at first and still have moments, but I think it's important too to remember to ask God if he has changed your goals.

Here is an awesome book. It was given to me long before I found FW, yet helps me so often.
Check out Room to Write

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/08747782 ... ref=plSrch
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Carol, I've also experienced, and still am, an extended absence of creativity to write. I frequently think about it because I often feel an unexplainable, restless stirring within to write. But nothing comes. Although I offered my 2 cents of advice to dwbowman on this forum, it's easier to tell someone else what to do rather than doing it yourself.

I've concluded that there is no universal, magic formula to overcome this writer's malady. :D Each of us has individual and varied reasons for losing the incentive to write. Realistically and honestly, as in my case, health can play a major role. I can almost pen point the correlation between medications I started taking and the loss of "easy" writing. I'm sure there are some who take the same meds with different outcomes. However, I happen to have strong responses to most meds.

Even if it's medication, physical changes, chronic illness, or something else, what can one do about the lack of inspiration and incentive? Since there is no one answer, I can only say what I hope to do in the very near future. :D

For several years, when the muse was active, I jotted down every creative word or thought that came to mind...titles of potential articles, ideas for devotionals, inspirational quotes that caught my attention, etc. Also included are old manuscript outlines that I never bumped to the next step, but were considered as having potential. All together, there are over one-hundred and fifty pages of "potentiality." So I've decided to draw from the past rather than trying to recreate it. Rather than waiting for creativity to return, I've decided to go back to when it was very much with me. :D

Last word: Try to go back to when you remember losing the incentive to write. Perhaps, it will give you a reason why and an answer as to how to overcome it.

You may also want to read this article posted by Steve Laube:
https://stevelaube.com/simple-truth-key ... g-success/
Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Sibermom65
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Sibermom65 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Welcome to the community of suffering artists! sometimes I think my chronic pain has provided me with more time to write because I'm not doing the gamut of other activities I used to enjoy.
I had possibly the longest of dry spells - more than 10 years before I could even put a pen to paper, and then another 15 years before I could again think about creating something suitable to publish.
Be patient - it all happens in God's time. (Thanks Shann for reminding me of that!) For now just take notes, make journal entries, write down story ideas and titles, and even short passages. One day you'll find that short passage inspires you to make it a longer passage, and then it becomes a short story, and eventually a full fledged book. We all learn to not put limits on God, but it's a lot harder to learn to not demand he works on our time schedules.

Return to Open Forum - General Writing Discussion