To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

too many ideas

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, beaedwards, cori67, itsjoanne, Sparrow

Penning Princess
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

too many ideas

Postby Penning Princess » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:51 pm

I have been writing a story about a young girl who goes to be a nurse on an island that is a place of respite for emotionally and physically drained people. Missionaries on vacation and families that need help dealing with emotional stuff and some physical problems. Since I am a romance writer my heroine falls in love with the head doctor's son. But the young girl also is dealing with her missing triplet and some nightmares they are sharing. I love the story idea but can't seem to make it mesh. I am not sure if there is too much going on in it or what. It is driving me nuts. I am used to simple plot lines but I have sorta written myself into a mess trying to write one a little more complicated and grown uppy (If that is even a word).

Any suggestions would be helpful. I like the ideas but the writing is bad.

Shann

Re: too many ideas

Postby Shann » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 pm

I wonder if in trying to build your character, you're adding things that maybe the reader doesn't need to know. It might be important to you as you develop her, but cut out the stuff that isn't core to the storyline. For example, my character Wrigley has a reason why she is named Wrigley. I need to know that reason because it makes her parents who they are. But the reader's don't really need to know the reason in most of my stories about her.

I'm not sure if these articles will help, but they have some good advice.

https://prowritingaid.com/art/374/8-Way ... ring-.aspx

This one is especially good and has great advice with a sense of humor.

http://www.writersdigest.com/online-edi ... -much-plot
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Sibermom65
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Sibermom65 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:24 pm

How about having the doctor's son (the boyfriend) help her solve the mystery of the missing triplet? And why triplet - wouldn't a twin be simpler?

Penning Princess
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Penning Princess » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:22 am

He is helping her solve it.

Yes twins would be simpler, but I am not sure I want to cut the other brother out. I will have to look into that possibility a little bit more.

After a reread it seems to be going okay now, but it will need a LOT of editing, but then again all my stories do.

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:18 am

When you're ready for an editor, FW has some excellent ones. I hope you had a chance to look at some of those articles I linked to,too because they do have some awesome advice in them.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:28 am

Honestly, just keep writing. Including everything you want now, and then figure out what adds to the story later and get rid of anything that doesn't. Something may develop as you're writing that works out well.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Return to Open Forum - General Writing Discussion